Sketchbook: [NSFW]Dan Learns to Draw 2011

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[NSFW]Dan Learns to Draw 2011

Restarting this topic, again. Going to update daily, as well as every sunday with a video portfolio for that week. My goal is to get into the freelance business, without going to art school.

The references I'm using varies, but most of it comes from tv and the links below.

Figure Drawing
    ConceptArt.org Artist's Reading List
    http://www.characterdesigns.com/
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/
    http://www.met-art.com
    Bridman Complete Drawing from Life
    Peck, Atlas Anatomy
    Big Ass People Reference
    CSU Models

Portrait and Head Drawing
    http://www.portrait-photos.org/shuffle/
    Big ass Portrait Flickr Album

---------------------

Edit January 6th 2011.
    Here's my progress since mid 2009 to mid 2010.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DanialGlover; January 19th, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice dynamic poses with the line of action. good luck with Cleveland Institute.
    and keep posting new work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan Turcin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey welcome aboard hope to see more from u, post some more!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to papervampire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First and for most..Awesome work man! I especially loved your old sb's first few pages of head studies...they showed you understood what you were looking at and copying was becoming more successful..now then..

Okay..was going to post this on your last SB but I guess you moved...You are head is back in the game so use this info I'm giving as fuel...

Use some of these books if you don't have material yet. Loomis - great read and first 40 pages good to copy - but read the rest. Don't try his manikin thing..just read through it first...then try to use his proportions and perspective theory. http://www.scribd.com/doc/2433658/An...-All-its-Worth
    Also Bridgman I see you have done some already...http://www.scribd.com/doc/4461737/Co...eorge-Bridgman - this book is a great visual resource but if you need more description I have been told by someone (the sage guy?) that he prefered Anatomy for the artist by someone...you will have to find the exact one..there are a lot of books with that title...so author is key. Its the user that has that naruto Sonan guy (naruto's teacher guy - you said you knew anime.. =p) ..Well. That book is great for the description of how everything goes together and then he said he liked someone else for shading..Vanderpoel i think.

Use these as your anatomy references..http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152626 there are many other books from here like Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life (is said to be "just okay" ..but I'm going to look through it because I have all of them..I like constructive anatomy but wanted to see if this had anything else)

For your line quality dilemna do - contours...do 15/30min contours then 15/30min blind contours and 10/1hr blind contours...go really slow..this will teach you AWESOME line quality. The worst part about it is that if you stop and go cold turkey on drawing..(like i may have done a few months ago O.O ..) you lose everything..its something that has to be comstantly used..get it to where you want and obviously never stop drawing..periodically practice blind after you get good..you should get to the point where you are not far of from the real thing when doing it blind..

Working in pencil is key..is its your draftmenship..your art...get it pretty good...atleast start on a piece and finish it as your doing digital...you always MUST be a great draftsman in order to be a concept artist. Line quality, proportion, value...huge. So don't put it off and just go all digi k?

You are learning with every page here, and that is what you want to see..Your values are great some places and shitty the next..I saw a few (possibly graphite pencil?) figures that were subpar for you...You should have busted out those pencils and put more values into them...start with your 4h lightly and work from there using a MINImum of 4 values I'm told..not including your 'white' or brightest point. If you are a master of value...hues (color obviously) is just the next step - and a HUGE step to master so take your time with value..it will pay off in dividends. duh right? lol.

Just remember think simplistic, go for proportion; go for gesture, go for balance from foreground, middleground and background to make environments stand out...that is why most people's enviros look so bland..they have don't have balance and a sense of expansion/awe.

If you need to stay simple with figures...do that...block in your shapes..forget about details like nose,eyes,mouth,hair, fingers, genitals, feet even...just get the proportions right and the right value...step back and squint...is that the right proportion..when you have all that down...move your paper to the other side of the room and do it again...from another light perspective. =P On the side..focus on anatomy..learn again your details seperately.. and then in a piece put it all together...but spend atleast 5 hours on it minimum for completion. Try to make that your goal if you have not done anything past that.

Do studies all the time (and when I mean studies I mean 1-3hr studies for a speed paint), values, mastercopies if you want. Be it people, environments, still life..by doing studies you can pick out and see where your weakeness are..and usually faster instead of doing what I am doing ..lol (which i have realized lately) - busting out quantity over quality. We have to take our time at the beginning of our art careers and study it tediously...the people who do..eventually pull ahead of those that jumped ahead and left that very critical step out. One quote Frank Frazzeta (the imfamous comic artist that recently died) and also Loomis the teacher went on about anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. Pretty much...there is only one kind of anatomy..the learned. If you can't tell me every bone in the body and pretty much every muscle..along with what the proportions of the humerus is to your head or in what relation does your foot of in length to another piece of the body (that you'd have to name and measurements) ..there is no reason why you are not..this second...looking in an anatomy book and copying..and then using that to copy people in life drawing..and then focusing on specifics...not the arm..but the fingers only, then the forearm, then the elbow, then the deltoid, then the tricep, etc, etc. Learn it hardcore..that is what I am currently going to focus on. You are ahead of me..but if you don't stay on the wagon..you are going to get passed. (I want to succeed along with you..so lets fucking do shit eh?)

Don't make hard lines...If this is a line where the light is bright...perhaps do not draw a line..but imply that it is there..and work your values and proportions so it makes sense.

Stay away from chalk. PERIOD. There is no reason to use unless you are using it for some weird glow effect thing...but even then...9/10 guys fuck it up and it honestly never looks that great...If you want something more..then make it color..do it digi or paint it. Master value...then is no need for chalk except on a sidewalk.

I love your values/proportions on some of those heads. (drawn ones) Maybe you should try self portraits again. Do pencil ones. and keep them minimum of 30min - 1hr with atleast full upper body shot or a dynamic angle with an awesome looking face. Look at some of Andrew Jones and..who that other cat currently doing them...bah..ill tell you tomo. He ends up doing facials that are zombies, and skeletons of himself with different color palettes...(but please realize we should start simple and pretty much beable to copy every line in our face before moving on to the bigger and better) ..If you want..try a daily SP for a month in pencil only...You should see a drastic change in your values, facial anatomy understand and guess what? That life drawing cost you the whole price of *possibly* a small mirror. Courtyard*- someone who won what 2009? presidental ringling scholarship?...she did tons of mirror studies because she could not get to or afford figure drawing sessions...they help alot.

Wow. I hope you don't hate me! I think your doing great! I just figured you'd want to hear some genuine crits, seeing as you haven't had any in some while..I hope you are still posting here...

Make sure to link your SB in your Profile signature too through your profile edit page.

So? Where are these updates hopeful?? =) Looking forward to them.

Okay I have to go to figure drawing- im late from tweaking this for you. =/ Half this shit was for your last sb..idk..hope it helps.

Last edited by NewGuy22; July 25th, 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: website addition
    "If you want something. Go get it. Period."

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=151856&page=4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewGuy22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say your anatomy is quite good. Im glad to see that true artist are still useing live models to better there understanding of anatomy. Well done sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. I do have most of the stuff, I even got some bridgman books in the mail as well.

I finally got my easel hooked up, so I'm doing head studies right now, sadly I only have my webcam to take pictures so they'll be of poor quality. Really bad quality. I will be getting a really nice camera in September, but that's far away.

Again, sorry for the really bad quality.

Also, I'll be starting my bridgman studies. But I really wanna focus on figure studies more, but yea, I'll have a couple pages of gestures, some bridgman studies, and some more portrait/figure studies.

My scanner will have better quality scans for the sketchbook stuff, but my 18x24 paper is too big, so I have to rely on my webcam.

I'm using the big ass portrait flickr album, lots of portraits, different variety of races and culture.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DanialGlover For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from the other day, and today's figure study in color. As well as a 5min gestural mass study, focusing only on the shapes, no measuring or rendering involved.
    Going to update as the day goes by, and try to keep this updated daily.

Last edited by DanialGlover; January 19th, 2011 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SNSD! Awesome....

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome dude !!!!! as always your work is great !!!!! i will stop by hereafter to check your updates .....

the future is mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2:34 in that video... unprofessional. Thats exactly the reason why I hate it when people put snarky comments on sketches... eventually stupid shit works its way out of your mind and offends someone.

Also, those little "notes" that people put on their sketches, no one wants to see that.

sketchwax.blogspot.com Updated December 2011

Members who have read this thread: 1