Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    So basically, african people are the only pure-breed humans left?
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    We're all Neanderthals
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    thats coool :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 608 Posts
    I could have sworn we already knew this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I could have sworn we already knew this.

16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
    17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    That's no surprise, to be honest. o_o'

Thanks
    Honestly I heard the exact opposite, seems like this will stir up the whole eugenics race and intelligence poo poo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Honestly I heard the exact opposite, seems like this will stir up the whole eugenics race and intelligence poo poo.
    ...How?

Thanks
    I don't want to get into that crap.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I don't see how this will start us enforcing racial hygiene, human experimentation, and the extermination of those that are "undesired" population groups. Care to explain? If that is the case, african people should exterminate all the "impure" people around the globe.

I don't want to get into that crap.
    Please do, because that's not making any sense at all. I wanna know what you meant by it.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    uggh I wasn't literally talking about eugenics, if you know what eugenics are then you understand the context of what I was referring to.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    There really is no point in bringing up eugenics or anything like it because it's not like neanderthals had terrible DNA. Nobody is saying anyone with neanderthal ancestry is inferior. It's just a social misconception that cavemen were idiots when we all probably wouldn't be around without them. Pure neanderthals just so happened to have a set of traits that didn't allow them to reproduce as much as homo sapiens. The ones that got lucky, both literally and figuratively have a legacy within us today.

So there is no discussion in that department as I see it.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Agreed. If someone put a modern person in cavemen times... That would be horrible. Hmm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    Agreed. If someone put a modern person in cavemen times... That would be horrible. Hmm.
    hahaha i wouldn't last a day. I remember trying to start a fire with sticks one summer, failed horribly.

Thanks
    I wasn't going down that road either, that some how neanderthals genes are bad. Rather if you had Homo sapiens and neanderathls breeding to whatever extent then by definition you have a whole different species.

Thanks
    You may not think that there is an argument, but someone will always find one.

Inspired by this thread and my need to fill the last few pages of my sketchbook for class next week, I stumbled upon this.
    http://www.erichufschmid.net/Neander...nderthals.html

Yeah...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    That's the problem with taxonomy is that even though we make clear distinctions between species, it's sort of a blur in full context. There were probably neanderthal/sapien hybrids o
    of varying degrees but species with a majority of sapien in them survived until now.

This is where most people get hung-up on evolution because transitional species aren't very clear-cut as we would think. There is no clear line between neanderthal and sapien. It just that the differences get so big between the two at a certain point, you can somewhat make a distinction where the change actually took place.

Oh boy, someone should let him know about DNA. Phylogenetics>Linnaean Taxonomy.
    Last edited by s.ketch; May 9th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    David Galef wrote a cute little story about a blind date with a neanderthal woman. It's worth looking up.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Rather if you had Homo sapiens and neanderathls breeding to whatever extent then by definition you have a whole different species.
    No, if you have Homo Sapiens and neanderthals breeding then by definition you have the same species. (At least by one of the most standard definitions of species, which, has already been pointed out, is an artificial, human distinction.)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I heard homo erectus was just like homo sapiens except he liked other cavemen.

edit: Wow Neanderthal diagrams explain everything:
    In the case of airline seats, they put a pad behind your head, which I found irritating. .... but perhaps some of the people who were used as measurements for chairs had that primitive, Neanderthal quality of a short neck that comes out of their backbone at an angle rather than upright.
    The man who claims to be Paul McCartney.
    is a neanderthal too!

Could you grab a picture of someone looking slightly up and would that create the illusion that the were partly neanderthal?

edit2: Despite grabbing pictures of people you don't like and looking for neanderthal features being misleading (instead look for people with neanderthal features and then use something objective for evil like criminal record) i like this one:
    MRI and CT images show that our brains are different shapes... do they function differently, also?
    I think its a pretty good question that hasn't been answered (shout out if it has) because historically the research was associated with racism.

Also did quentin tarrantino always look neanderthal or did he have plastic surgery?
    Last edited by sharprm; May 9th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I wasn't going down that road either, that some how neanderthals genes are bad. Rather if you had Homo sapiens and neanderathls breeding to whatever extent then by definition you have a whole different species.
    No we wouldn't have a new species. Infact we would get a hybrid from this cross-interbreeding. Hybridisation takes place between species within the same genus, between subspecies within the same species or between species from different genus - often the hybrid become sterile. In this case I think you can say it is a hybridisation between two species within the same genus since we are so closely related.

If it were to become a new species, then it would have to fill the criteria of being reproductively separated from the other species. And since these hybrids seemed to be fertile it must have lived on to spread its genes within the population.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I think those who are bringing eugenics into the discussion are working under the misconception that evolution is linear and progressive. Everything alive today has an equally long evolutionary history. Evolution relies on variety to and natural trial. Life evolves in branches and there is no other test of what makes an organism successful than its survival. The concept of something being "more evolved" is abstract and false.

Quote Originally Posted by sharprm View Post
    homo erectus
    hee hee.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    I swear there was an article about that in Science News years ago already...

T'ain't no big deal. The more bits that get unearthed about early hominids, the more it appears to have been one big soupy mish-mosh, with many variations of hominids mixing and matching and moving all over the place. Modern hominids probably didn't evolve from one distinct line in one distinct place, but from a big tangled mess out of which they happen to be the current surviving specimens by pure chance.

It kind of reminds me of canines. Grey wolves, red wolves, grey-red-wolves, coyotes, dogs, coy-wolves, coy-dogs, coy-dog-otes, etc, etc...

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    some guys try to interbreed with everything that has at least 2 legs and breath, some don't even care for the last.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    some guys try to interbreed with everything that has at least 2 legs and breath, some don't even care for the last.
    This is why I've always believed modern humans interbred with neanderthals.

As long as we'd discovered some kind of alcohol or other narcotic back then, it was a certainty.

Thanks
    someone do a sexy neanderthal pinup.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    "The concept of something being "more evolved" is abstract and false."

I disagree. Humans are more evolved than dinosaurs, because our ancestry line has been around for a longer time. On the other hand we're not more evolved than deers, otters and slugs...

I think it's a shame all those human variations aren't around anymore though. I mean, Neanderthals would probably have been awesome workers with their superior strength, (or, I guess, soldiers, but that's not so positive) or anything else that rewuired a strong hand... On the other maybe it's good they're not around anymore since humans would probably have enslaved them and let them do all the dirty work...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast