IDW #127: The King's Bathtub - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Truepinkas

5 23.81%
  • Pixie Trick

3 14.29%
  • Yeti Ball

13 61.90%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #127: The King's Bathtub - Voting

IDW #127 Topic: The King's Bathtub

Deadline for voting: Sunday, May 16

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #127: The King's Bathtub

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 932
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; May 9th, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The boy King [name] LOVED to play in the tub, so much so that he often neglected his duties at court, much to the chagrin of his older advisers. Fortunately a solution was reached when the Royal Inventor created the Steam Powered Mechanical Walking Bathtub. His Highness can play in the tub, and the tub will take him wherever he needs to be (though his advisers do insist that he now wear swimming trunks during recreational baths).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Truepinkas; May 9th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon The bathtub of Sun Wukong

The bathtub of Sun Wukong, the famous Monkey King from the ancient Chinese tale Journey to the West. It is built on a mountain side and uses the natural waterfalls to fill the tub. The bathtub is surrounded by scenic vistas and a traditional Chinese spa. Perfect for a little downtime in between monster slaying.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yeti Ball; May 9th, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some notes on this round:

Not as many entries this time as I was hoping for. Still, I like to vary the topics a little so I guess that's the result of it Nice to see a few cool entries for this one though!

Don't forget to post a critque or comment when you vote please, it's much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi: Some topics are always going to be more popular than others. Mech suits for example will always be popular because it is easy to make them 'cool'. I genuinely enjoyed this topic because it was a challenge, my first thought was honestly something like 'WTF am I supposed to do with that...', but I managed to come up with something.

Pixie Trick: Your idea is fun, but I feel like you could have taken the Swan theme a lot further and mare it more integral to the design. In it's present state I'd be inclined to think they might have just added new feet and faucet to the King's old tub. Also, I noticed your not really using perspective, as all the lines along a plain are parallel, which is making it look wonky to me.

Yeti Ball: Very different concept here, and I like it a lot. I do feel like it's closer to 'The King's Bathhouse' than Bathtub, but it's good to see a variety of ideas expressed. My only real critique is how dark and ominous the color scheme is. Given that our intended audience was children I think either brighter colors, or more pastels/wash like the WIP you showed in the other thread would be more appropriate.

Last edited by Truepinkas; May 9th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went with pixie tricks, liked the extravagant details mixed with a pretty ordinary bathtub.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys. I used orthogonal perspective (parallelism) on the the tub, but when I tried the same with the floor it just looked wrong, so there's a mix of the two in there making it look weird. I also tried to keep the swan theme with the 'wings' and 'tail' on the actual tub, and the swan 'feet'.

trupinkas: Nice work for starting fairly late! Very cute story too. A couple of things to watch would be to work on getting the perspective on the legs to work out, as well as mayhap doing a ceramic study to get how the material of the tub reflects light. I know I had a real problem trying to make mine look right, and it's not quite right either. A last thought is the uncomfortableness of what appears to be a metal lions head where one might expect the king to rest his head if he were to sit up. Uncomfy! Cool idea, to say the least.

Yeti Ball: I was going to say welcome to CA on the wip thread but here works just as well. WELCOME! I'm going to have to agree with Truepinkas- more of The King's Bathhouse. I think the style is fine for little kids, but the colours are a bit grim.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for your input. I tend to agree with you both on all points.

Pixie Trick: Thanks for the kind welcome. So far I'm really enjoying my stay. As for a comment on your piece I agree with Truepinkas regarding your wonky perspective. Its not so much that you used two different perspective types on one image (not recommended anyway) but that fact that I'm pretty sure your bathtub has NO perspective. From my eye it seems like each side is completely parallel. Even in "orthogonal" or one point perspective there still should be a single vanishing point to which the all the lines that run parallel to the ground and move away from the picture plane should vanish too. I would suggest next time just put a bit more effort into perspective early on and your entire piece would benefit greatly. Otherwise I think its a pretty nice piece, the rendering is pretty convincing.

Truepinkas: I really like the concept here and the story behind it really sells the design. I would have like to have seen more of the actual mechanics of how this thing moves; engine, gears, linkage, etc. I think it would help sell the idea of a walking bathtub more! Otherwise, rendering serves your purposes but yeah, the tub itself looks kind of flat, maybe try useing a wider range of value to really push the form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I like Yeti Ball's concept a lot, it's so so so so so different, maybe because i'm Chinese and his idea matches my taste,jia you Yeti Ball, hope you can win this one!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xiaozhua1986 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaozhua1986 View Post
    I like Yeti Ball's concept a lot, it's so so so so so different, maybe because i'm Chinese and his idea matches my taste,jia you Yeti Ball, hope you can win this one!
    Xie xie ni Xiao Zhua Zhua. I'm glad you enjoyed my na ge huà.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.