Please help with Copic markers
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Please help with Copic markers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Please help with Copic markers

I know it's a lame title, but I didn't know what to write for it so that it doesn't sound like a tutorial.

I recently got a 12-set of Copic sketch markers and have no idea how to use them. I want to practice strokes with them, but I don't know where to start, especially with paper. I have that Strathmore bristol board and some Georgia Pacific cardstock, but are these actually good paper to practice on (the bristol board's expensive for me...)?

Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm actually trying to practice with them so I can color my animu-style (yes, I said that--I know that I have sucky anatomy and stuff--which I will improve upon, but I'd still like to know where the lights and shadows are) pictures and make better compositions, being that I don't like staying monochrome all the time. And does anyone know of any prominent deviantART Copic artists besides Kaoru-chan, Kyoko-Taide and cartoongirl7? I'd really like to learn from other Copic artists, too. As I said before, I want to start practicing with color.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, you know, copics are hella expensive, meaning that you don't want to use highly absorbent paper. If i was suggesting marker paper for you to use, i would suggest a "PM pad, White B5" of any size. This paper is non bleeding, and has optimum sirfact texture for smooth lines as well. Plus, it's minimally absorbent, giving you a few extra seconds to play with the marker ink on the paper.

Copics are for quick artists. You will, though, almost always start out slow when you start a new media, and dont get mad about that, because it is a learning experience. The trick to Copics are speed though. Keeping it the ink wet, and than constantly moving it around with other colors. This will give you a vibrant array of blending too.

In addition to speed, copics also thrive off the layering method like most ink utensils. The layering of the same color gives it a darker feel, and a significant one too. But this plays as a negative as well, you must be very careful as to not layer area's you wish not infested with a darker tone. This is all i remember at the moment though. To find out more info on copics, go to DeviantArt and search up some copic marker tutorials. That's ho i learned. =)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Setsuka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Use nonabsorbent paper. You want something that doesn't soak the ink up, but lets you play in wet ink for a few seconds.

To get a smooth tone, work very quick and cover an area with overlapping strokes while the ink is still wet.

Work in a ventilated area.

Otherwise, treat it as very quick watercolor. Begin with lighter colors and proceed toward the darker ones. Working over a still-wet area with the same color will not increase the intensity, adding another color to it will diffuse them together. Working over a dried area with the same or another color behaves additively, like a glaze.

Markers look good combined with black ink and white gouache for highlights.

You can also use markers for color sketching. It's quite different from pencils, but fun; begin with broad strokes and blots with a light marker to define the masses, and then refine with darker ones. Don't bother with contour until you decide to finish the drawing; markers let you sketch with spots, not lines. (I think I have a marker sketch in my sketchbook here.)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1