Art: "So I met dis REAL LIFE Snow White ..." & simbolism of character.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"So I met dis REAL LIFE Snow White ..." & simbolism of character.

Name:  Snow White.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  180.0 KB

About 6 years ago, I found a literary analysis page about Grimm brother's Snow White original tale. The article was mainly about historically plausible sources for certain elements, focusing on how Snow White's characteristic fisonomy may refer to some german folk myths about a triple goddess, personification of the so called 3 ages of femininity, represented by colors:

WHITE - the girl/maiden
    RED - the woman/wife
    BLACK - the old woman/widow

There also were mentions on the simbolism of tropos like barefoot (representing childhood, innocence and sexual immaturity), apples (Genesis myth, Hesperides, etc), mother-daughter rivalry (some psychoanalytical bullshit you may all have heard about), dwarves (non sexual and all alike men, fwhom S.W. have to separate from in order to become a grown up woman) and so on. Unfortunately, I lost the source and all my notes from it, years ago; but the thing is I ended up being sincerely fascinated with the S.W. character, and so I longed to draw it. I tried to imagine her or use some models, but didn't work; suddenly, I met a girl who was more of S.W. than anyting I could possibly conceive; I remember having stared at her amazed, just thinking: "I can't believe it: I found her; that's her; in flesh; in front of me"...

Apart from drama, the point is that around those days I could finish up to 22 drawings about this girl. Honestly, I had never really dealt before with the problems of portraying young women; so it served me like a sort of training: a certain -say- defined (yet formulaic) style of drawing women arouse from that research (a style that now I long to leave behind, for new and better results); the works of Rackham, Schiele and Klimt were fundamental influences. So now I left you with some of those drawings, thanking for your concern and waiting for your honest critique.

Name:  (rêve) relevé.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  150.8 KB

Name:  morning!.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  beautiful freak [eels].jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  smile.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  Ave formosissima [Orff].jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  tampon.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  radio.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  bet.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  the way I am.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  156.6 KB

Name:  There's a light that never goes out [The Smiths].jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  252.4 KB

Name:  memory.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  79.6 KB

Last edited by elemile; October 24th, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: typos & bad writting
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elemile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @James Dussqe
    sorry: wich one (from 1 to 12)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @James Dussqe

6: serving some drinks, at a palapa("bungalow"?)-restaurant; she went to the beach and worked as a waitress, during one summer.

7: dropping used tampon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leave the tampon the hell out; nobody wants to see that. Try to represent menstruation in another way. I mean, portray her getting an abortion, portray her pregnant, portray her BUYING tampons, portray her with birth control...women have dealt with reminders of menstruation for waaaay too damn long, and men just don't get it.

Other than that, this is interesting. I'll dissect it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @anniebelle

I didn't actually mean to be disturbing. In fact, initially she was holding a broom
    (just sweeping); the tampon thing came, mostly, from pursuing the bodyline not
    to be broken by the item, along with the analogy in color with her lips and flushed
    cheeks. Now that I think about it, a rose would have had it done but who just
    contemplates roses or does housework in panties?...

Anyway: I'm leaving menstruation alone for good (lol); and I'll be glad to hear results
    from your critical dissection. Thanks.

Last edited by elemile; May 16th, 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @James Dussqe

Ok, I see your point and I agree. I used to claim being against gratuitous vulgarity in all arts,
    unless it served clearly to make a statement in a bigger -say- theoretical or conceptual frame.
    But I'm obviously failing on self-criticism... I promise I'll try harder, in later works.

Also, it called my attention that you find this somehow impressionist, cause I always thought
    these works were in the right opposite. I mean: they're sort of a personal diary, in wich characters
    and objects work to represent the world not as I see it, but the way I've intellectualized it, to make
    it my own; wich I guess would set me quite closer to expressionism or simbolism (surrealism, maybe,
    considering some oniric qualities)...

But excuse me if I divague; not trying to be a snob here, just genually happy and intrigued
    by your comment. And I'm glad that you share part of the fascination with S.W. character.

Thanks a lot, man; being seeing you around.

Last edited by elemile; May 17th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't let other people dissuade you from doing what you feel is appropriate to the nature and feelings of your work. If they don't like it, like my mother has always said - you don't need to look at it.

They can grow up and take into mind that not everyone finds it disgusting and horrible. And I don't feel it was appropriate to bash on you for the use of a tampon (used or otherwise.)

If they don't like the reference to menstruation(sp?) they can choose not to look at that image. It seems a more personal piece, something I wouldn't choose to use in a professional portfolio, but not a piece that should be considered vulgar because of it's content. It's simply one of those "different strokes for different folks" type of images.

Carry on, making art dude. Don't let other people talk you out of it. Where would we be if Michelangelo took in the comments of the clergy while doing the Sistine Chapel? It'd be a bunch of dressed, boring images.

Carry on, good sir. Carry the eff on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminalfears For This Useful Post:

Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Terminalfears

You made me think, with your example of Michelangelo, about Manet and how his Olympia, wich now we see academic and conservative, was considered vulgar (even grotesque) among the critics of those days. The history of art and science is plenty of these cases; the thing is, of course, that the only actual referee to tell misunderstood genius from plain vulgarity (or madness), is history itself; I mean; it's only for the people of the future, to be able to see back at our time with new eyes, reinterpretating and judging us by inedit frames and standards. I don't think what I do could ever be considered groundbreaking; and that's why I now long to be first regarded, at least, as sufficient, among contemporary artists that I consider actually good; but in any case, after this reflexion, I salute your past defense of the artist freedom, and thank you for your statement against self-censoring for the sake of art...

Tl;dr You might be right. I'll do take it into consideration. Thanks for commenting :-)

Last edited by elemile; May 28th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work man, i like the gritty aesthetic. Also, this thread was great to read. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the story... i mean ur whole things.. from research to the discovery of this girl and all these sketches.

U know, a classical story expressing with modern medium and the integration of ur personal understanding... u recreated a Snow White.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ LucidCognition, cerealist

Well, thanks a lot.

I have indeed considered the posibility of turning this into a serious project; something
    maybe, as you somehow pointed out, a bit in the way of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo+Juliet:
    a revival of Grimm brothers S.W. original tale, but accompanied with contemporary (somehow
    sexy pop-cultured) illustrations for a mature audience; and with the plus of an analytical
    addendum, like in a sort of academic making-of of the tale with all these references to
    myths and stuff...

It could work... or no; I don't know. But I still have to do much better, technically, stylistically
    and theoretically, before even start considering the idea once again.

Thank you both.

Last edited by elemile; June 7th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.