Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UK Elections

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts

UK Elections

Hey, I just saw this neat map on The Economist, and I was curious what separates all these political parties. What are the issues that matter, and what are their stances? If any English people could explain, thanks.

http://www.economist.com/displaystor...=features_box4

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    British dear boy, British... England is part of the the UK.

The election is pretty well covered here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Right now we have a hung parliament with no overall control by any party. The Conservatives have more seats than anyone else though. The 'third' party, the Liberal Democrats now have the chance to form a coalition government with either the Conservatives or the Labour party. Who will they go with? The tension is almost palpable... Whatever happens the BNP, the British National Party (essentially the 'fascists') have not made the advances they hoped for... hoorah! And we have our first Green Party MP in Brighton.

Thanks
    Yeah, but who do these parties represent (not just geographically, but money wise) and what do they want to do?

Thanks
    In a nutshell...

Conservatives: More to the right. Conservative with a big and little 'c'. Yet their campaign used the phrase 'Vote for change'... duh... Margaret Thatcher was a bast... er, Conservative.

Labour: More to the left. Once even more to the left, but Mr T Blair decided he didn't like being more to the left, so invented 'New Labour' which was more to the middle and had an affair with George Bush.

Liberal Democrats: In the middle in more ways than one right now. Will do anything to get into power because they've not really had any yet...

British National Party: Bunch of fascists.

Green Party: Very nice people who generally enjoy tofu.

The Monster Raving Looney Party: Very nice people who generally enjoy alcohol.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    In a nutshell...

Conservatives: More to the right. Conservative with a big and little 'c'. Yet their campaign used the phrase 'Vote for change'... duh... Margaret Thatcher was a bast... er, Conservative.

Labour: More to the left. Once even more to the left, but Mr T Blair decided he didn't like being more to the left, so invented 'New Labour' which was more to the middle and had an affair with George Bush.

Liberal Democrats: In the middle in more ways than one right now. Will do anything to get into power because they've not really had any yet...

British National Party: Bunch of fascists.

Green Party: Very nice people who generally enjoy tofu.

The Monster Raving Looney Party: Very nice people who generally enjoy alcohol.
    The BBC should fire their whole election-coverage team and appoint you.

You've communicated more useful info about the state of UK politics in that one post than they've been able to in their entire set of programmes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whilst I'm scared to death that the Conservatives will try to dismantle the BBC to please Rupert Murdoch if they get into power, I'm also kind of optimistic over them going to the Liberal Democratics for seats. Though that's just over the idea that they'll be forced to compromise on cuts. (Though I've been wrong before,...)

One interesting thing is that a lot of people in my Uni have suddenly taken a large interest in politics this last 3 or 2 days, after them being pretty apathetic about it for the last year since getting into Uni. Has there been any general figures released showing a marked increase in voting since the last election, or is that how University rolls generally?
    My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Labour - likes to spend money it doesn't have and run up a rather large overdraft.

Actually I think the Conservatives and Liberals will do rather well together; both are agreed in reducing the deficit. The only fear I have is that they might push proportional representation voting, which will give the cities too much say over the countryside and fill parliament with yes men; I like the odd eccentric MP we elect fairly often and they don't fit the yes men mould.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Labour - likes to spend money it doesn't have and run up a rather large overdraft.
    It's a worldwide deficit, not just the UK; so I think people are being a bit harsh on Labour. Also they are the only ones that were saying that they will do everything in their power to stop a double dip recession. Liberal democrats say they will reduce taxes etc. But that will not help our economy. Sure, everyone is up for paying lower tax rates, but I think the state of our country and its' economy is far more important that a bit more spending money.
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FraserMcT View Post
    It's a worldwide deficit, not just the UK; so I think people are being a bit harsh on Labour. Also they are the only ones that were saying that they will do everything in their power to stop a double dip recession. Liberal democrats say they will reduce taxes etc. But that will not help our economy. Sure, everyone is up for paying lower tax rates, but I think the state of our country and its' economy is far more important that a bit more spending money.
    GB actually spent it all before the world wide recession hit. In his first year as chancellor he sold most of our gold at a knock down price as he didn't think gold was a worth while investment and then spent it. Anyone remember his 'prudence' catch phrase? Relying on future earnings is like counting eggs when you have no chickens.

Thanks
    So then, I take it most of the issues have to do with spending and deficits. Much like the US. What about other issues. In America, our conservatives push moral issues such as abortion, prayer in school, and other things like immigration reform and welfare reform to draw support. Are any of these issues in GB, and also, which areas of the map are generally poorer?

Thanks
    Well abortion is nowhere near on the scale that it is in the US, though there have Christian groups working with members of the Conservative party (like Anne Widdecombe) to adjust Abortion laws. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortio...United_Kingdom

Whilst prayer does take place in schools, religion is not really a major factor in terms of affecting politics in the same way as it does in America. Though specifically for prayer in UK schools; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_...United_Kingdom Christian belief is simply not followed as strictly as it is in the US, whilst due to the variety of ethnic backgrounds of people who live in the UK, which is a small country means that there is a noticeable variety in spiritual belief in and around the UK. Though generally the media take a secular perspective.
    Last edited by Kagemusha22; May 7th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
    My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Immigration is pretty high on the agenda. The red areas are generally poorer and vote Labour as they think they'll get more. The countryside is blue as farmers find that city folk and certain politicians don't understand that the countryside is dirty and poorly served as it's expensive to run services out to fewer voters. I am always amused when people buy a house in the country and complain about the noise cockerels make and the smell of manure being spread. That's why I don't think PR is fair.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    But, if both Labour and the Conservatives want more services, then who wants to cut the deficit, and how? Or do they just want to cut each other's services? And how badly did Gordon Brown screw up this election? John Stewart and John Oliver tag teamed on him on the Daily Show.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...-to-10-downing
    Last edited by TASmith; May 7th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    America needs a Monster Raving Looney Party. On second thought I think that would be the Bush administration.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Conservatives want to cut the deficit and they'll do it like last time by cutting the red tape and getting rid of overpaid managers and the tickety boxes. I have hated having to fill in form after form about religion and ethnicity over the last years. Who cares? We're all human and having government statistics pointing out they are helping all sorts I consider demeaning in lots of ways. I've got to the point where I don't fill in the paperwork to their satisfaction and mutter sod off a lot.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    They're all a bunch of lying, thieving gits anyway. I doubt any party would do half of what they promised to. As for Gordon Brown, I have mixed feelings towards him. On one I don't think anyone really gave him much of a chance as he's been criticised ever since he became PM for things that weren't entirely his fault. But then again, he hasn't really done much to fix these things.

However, if I was old enough, I would vote Gordon Brown any day, rather than have that snobby twat, Cameron, poncing around as PM

Thanks
    Most of what's happened in the country is because of what Gordon Brown did as chancellor.

I played Eton at chess once. They totally trounced us, but were so nice about it we didn't mind.

Thanks
    Oops, I forgot Gordon had a job before he was Prime Minister. I only really started paying attntion to politics when Tony Blair left. Still, I prefer anyone over Cameron.

Thanks
    So what are these politicians promising then, anyway?

Thanks
    Austerity. All of them and don't think we don't know it, but it's how its done that is the argument going on. Been there before.

Thanks
    the conservatives havn't said anything other than vague wishy washy hopefull crap such as we'll restore order in schools! we'll clean up britan and save ludicruous amounts of money by just cutting waste... its like a bloody get rich quick scheme

this election just goes to show the power of photoshop and rupert murdoch..

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...d-1962318.html

^ camerons briton

and ugh conservatives want fox hunting back despite it already being a handled issue...

and proportional representation?

conservatives 36.1% of the vote 306 seats

labour 29% of the vote 258 seats

lib dem 23% of the vote 57 seats

so in a democratic country a 5% differnce is = to 200 seats?

and the lib dems are the only party capable of critical thinking...

uhhh.... this is the worst spelt post of my life
    dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Conservatives want to (and likely will) make spending cuts immediately. Labour wants to wait until there's a definite recovery of the economy, although hopefully that's a moot point now as they should be stepping down in the next few days.

Not much difference on immigration. Conservative want a cap, but can't say what it is, plus a count in and out. Lib Dems want an amnesty on illegal immigrants who've been here for 10 years or more (although Clegg's grasp on immigration appears slim as he stated the other day that 80% of UK immigration is from the EU, therefore uncontrollable, when it's actually 30%). Labour just lets anybody come and go when they feel like it although as an election ploy they proposed a count of who leaves the country (revolutionary). Essentially it's not immigration that's a problem though, it's a benefit system that rewards the lazy, both British and foreign, and the lack of an effective justice system.

Conservatives want to up the tax allowance on inheritance to £1m. Labour and Lib Dems are happy to tax inheritance from £325K, robbing from people who've worked hard and saved all their lives and want to pass on an inheritence to their families.

Up until recently it was routine for old people to have to spend all their savings and sell their homes when they needed care in later life. With the election, of course, that changed, and all three parties have various proposals for tackling that. About time too.

Labour wanted to increase the National Insurance contributions that employers pay per employee, essentially taxing jobs when we're barely out of recession. Neither Conservative or Lib Dems want to do this. Lib Dems additionally want to up the personal tax allowance to £10K.

I'm not entirely sure on Conservatives' ideas on crime. Labour has massaged the figures to make them look good (i.e. improvement since they came to power) but the upshot is that over here, sentences are paltry and often non-existant. Lib Dems would likely be even softer on crime than labour, if that's possible.

And electoral reform. Conservatives are happy with the "first past the post" method of voting, although it's almost certain they'll have to revise their opinion now, whilst Lib Dem are adamant that it needs to be changed, possibly to proportional representation. Labour have indicated they'll go with the Lib Dems on that but now it's too late for them.

And so on and so forth. Basically they're much the same, no far left or far right in the major parties. Quite a few minor parties but they're all jokes. UKIP, a bunch of bumbling fools, whose leader is in hospital after his election plane crashed into a field. There's the greens, of course, who want to cut the speed of traffic on motorways to 55mph because otherwise the world will heat up and everyone will die. In my eyes this makes them the spawn of Satan. And not forgetting the routinely amusing BNP, who managed to win no seats whatsoever on the back of their "white is right" philosophy. Surprising that, as I'd have expected their new canvassing method of beating up Asians would have propelled them to certain victory - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...nd/8663681.stm
    Last edited by Baron Impossible; May 7th, 2010 at 04:49 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Surprising that, as I'd have expected their new canvassing method of beating up Asians would have propelled them to certain victory - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...nd/8663681.stm
    FYI, UK "Asian" = American "Middle Eastern/Arabic" and UK "Conservative" = American "Moderate"

Thanks
    Summed it up nicely Baron. Basically it boils down to who you believe get us out of the current mess as painlessly, or just a short quick pain, as possible.

I had a small rise in salary this year, but the cost of living (don't believe the inflation figures) have risen twice as much. I keep cutting expenditure, but its going to get worse whatever happens. I'm not happy, but I try to look further into the future and not dwell on the short term hell that will come.

Thanks
    Cameron is not a progressive individual. The Daily Mail thinks the sun shines out of his backside. If you're white, heterosexual, married, male, your life will be a bowl of cherries under the Conservatives. I love short term memories... they're sooo... short term... 'Change? They're called conservatives...

Thanks
    "robbing from people who've worked hard and saved all their lives and want to pass on an inheritence to their families."

What's the percent of this inheritance tax?

"Up until recently it was routine for old people to have to spend all their savings and sell their homes when they needed care in later life."

How is that? I thought you all had the national health service. The problem you describe is identical to what happens in the USA when someone gets seriously sick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I had typed an elaborate response detailing the various outlooks but "they're all self serving twats" saves on server space.

Edit: for our American viewers, An American leftie commie pinko would probably be right at home in our "right wing" party..

Left / Right wing is contextual..
    Last edited by Flake; May 8th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    I left England about a year before Blair got in

When The last of the 'old labour' leaders, John Smith suddenly died, and shortly after that I saw Margaret Thatcher singing Tony Blair's praises in an interview, I decided to get the fuck out of there.

Hope its going well for you guys.

Thanks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8669043.stm

this summerises the other specifics pretty well too

I take it your against the 'even softer' on crime approach of the lib dems then barron?
    dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast