Sketchbook: The Enjoyable Struggle - To become concept artist from home learning

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Enjoyable Struggle - To become concept artist from home learning

I am officially starting my quest to become a concept artist after taking a 1 and half year gap from occasionally creating art of any sort. I have already had three years of a broad game art education along with the full school art experience. Its been a while since I picked up a pencil so I ask anyone giving advice to be brutally honest. I figured I may as well start from the bottom of the illustration process, plain blank surface and a tool to mark it (pencil and paper).

Last edited by virtualpsycho; July 1st, 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: dont need two images!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,Well you asked for it lol but this is meant with best intentions.

Alright so your not very good, your above a 2 year old but still seem to lack a lot of knowledge which is interesting because you said you went to art school? Alright so you seem to lack anatomy which is pretty normal, a lot of people are still learning ( trust I am too lol) But you need to start off from square one with anatomy. Your faces for on look like the same expression lol, the 2nd picture is like nothing but gum and looks like they have pre adult teeth. I don't know if you did it from a picture or not so, I am gonna tell you to always use reference's when doing anything with anatomy and poses.

Your snake looks O.K. but it looks like it was done in crayon which isn't that great of a medium. It looks like a really good drawing from like a 10 year old. lol there is almost detail to it just black, red, and yellow, with no range of value in it.
    Also your line quality needs a lot of work (Trust me, I do too lol so not really worries but it is a bad habit!)

Your face from imagination ( I assume) looks O.K. but Still could use a lot of improvement on anatomy. I would suggest that you look in to getting Andrew Loomis and George Bridgman books (Which you can find for free on the Internet) and start doing some studies from their books. But along with that I want you to also do a lot of drawing from life, because that will teach to draw because it teaches you how to translate 3d objects into 2d images. Life is the best teacher. Photostudies are also really nice to do because it also teaches you stuff like how things look on a 2nd surface.

There is a link in my signature that has a TON of tutorials on just about everything lol. Check it out and if it helps you comment on it or not thats fine lol. I hope this is some useful info! and if it not then thats ok too!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers thanks for crits. Will get on them right away. I had taken a massive break from doing traditional art for about five years so I think I may have seriously depreciated my skills. I never said "art school" I said that I done art in school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea I wasn't sure if thats what you meant or not! lol why did you take your pictures down?!

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because they suck (only did them for quick emotion sketches for college application; a requirement of the animation program) and an artist is only as good as his last image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol listen to me, your here to learn. There is NOTHING wrong with not being good. No one here to judge you because you can't draw as good as someone else. This is a community of people trying to learn and get better. So just because your not good now doesn't mean that with some hard work you can't get better. You right an artist is only as good as his/her last image, But it isn't life or death because at some point in time that last image because just another step towards getting better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers man, honestly its a big thing to me to get better. I cant believe i let it slip down hill so much. I got caught on 3d art after i was introduced to it in college that took up all my time.

Ah sure lets roll on now. At least I know now that I cant get any worse only improve, thank god...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.