Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Summer Training >:)

Hello everyone, my name is James Joyce, I'm 22 and like all of you I'm an aspiring artist. I changed my major a year ago from Computer Science to Studio Art and worked my butt off to finish where I was attending so I could move on to an art school to get some proper training. I tried to start a sketchbook last year but the work load was too much and I had to focus on my classes (you'd be surprised how little drawing there was in my studio art classes). My work has paid off so far, I've got my degree, I'll be going to LCAD in the fall, and I might have even improved at drawing However I still have a long way to go and I hope this second chance at making a sketchbook here will be more fruitful than the last.

On a side note I have some progress from my past year on my blog(link in the signature) in case anyone wants to take a look.

Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)

We did blind contour drawings of these things then drew them after for like 20min
    Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)

Self Portrait

First time doing gesture drawings

Some people we had 20min to draw

Mass drawings

Some sculpture drawing and cloth

Styrofoam cup

Hands (in order of which I did them)

My midterm (in order)

Portrait of my friend

My final which is the most recent thing I've done

and some random pages outa my sketchbook
    Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)Summer Training >:)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not posting everything I did in the past week, frankly I'm embarrassed by some of the stuff I do lol I'm sure I'll get it over it eventually!

some loomis stuff

vilpuu, I've been playing around with gesture and the sphere form but I didn't want to post the pages of circles and spheres lol so here's one

an awful self portrait and after that I got frustrated and since I can't draw eyes or lips I decided to draw some using loomis head and hands as a guide

banana and pepper shaker thing

and some pen stuff, again theres more but didn't post it, didn't want it to get redundant

some pictures are wierd cuz of the lighting from the photo I took...

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Good thing you're checking out Loomis books, It's a good start. My main tip for you would be trust what you see (specially at the beginning). ex. If doing a portrait drawing don't think of the nose as a nose, think of the shape you see instead.
    Sorry if I'm being confusing.

Another tip would be get a good quality and variation of line. (Vary thickness, speed etc).

Thanks
    Hey thanks for posting and your not being confusing at all, I've been through the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book (think it's betty edwards) and she talks all about that. Never thought about variation of line but when I looked it up you can tell it adds more personality to drawings so thanks for the tip I'll try it out.

Anyways here's something I did today of this sculpture in the garden

Thanks
    Good start, keep on drawing and posting. I'm liking where you're going with that pen sketching.
    'long as you keep on doing those basic exercises and studies, you'll be on your way.

Thanks
    Thanks NeloWolf, I'm just working away on the basics

I've been away at Mass Art and Design taking a Life Drawing course where we learned how to draw the figure from life. It was an amazing class and I learned so much in only about two weeks and the teacher was just as amazing. His name is Gerry Hoag and I found some of his work http://www.giotto.org/cimabue/hoag/index.html in case anyone wants to see the quality of his work.

I'll be putting up all the things I drew in the next few hours...there's like 55 pictures so it will take a while.

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Nice drawings, you're way better than me
    I decided to become a concept artist literally a week ago, and it seems that's my way to go, so I have to learn and learn and learn and practice much. Hehehe.
    Post some more

Thanks

Boney Landmarks

The first thing we learned in class besides how to setup the figure with arcs was the bony landmarks of the body.

The first image I messed up on the proportion, the line farthest to the left is mine then the other is the teachers. Also for a while I had trouble making my drawings smaller so you'll see a lot of body shots before we go over composition. The little drawing in the corner of the third picture was because I was getting to curvy with my lines for the head and he showed me how if you were using straight lines(or arcs) how you could make a circle.
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Next we had a to wait for the model so we drew the scuplture of the body used for anatomy reference, then we had a female model.
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    I think this is where we had another model (some of these are probably out of order sorry lol) Our teacher started to give us poses with foreshortening and as you can tell I had some trouble with it.

You'll be able to notice on these drawings that there are vertical and horizontal lines and that's because we learned some sighting techniques.

Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Ok switching back to male model and more foreshortening. The first picture I started probably three times the pose caused so many problems for me. But there were some I got the hang of like the one of him laying down.

and more pictures...
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    some more practice...I even started to refine some of the drawings and I made it bigger so some smaller marks could be seen.
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    So this should be the last post. We started using L frames to make a better composition which are basically those L rulers except cardboard and two of them so you can create a composition and size it to your liking. It's like a sizable viewfinder and it was very handy.
    Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

We only learned a small amount about shading and it was fairly simple.

Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:) Summer Training >:)

So that's all I have sorry to have such a huge update but I wanted to get it all out there.

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks philip, yea I'm headed to concept art too but I want to "conquer" some fine arts techniques along the way hehe.

Last edited by ArcZephyer; May 16th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.