Art: Applying to Academy of Art, looking for some critiques.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Applying to Academy of Art, looking for some critiques.

I'm applying for the animation masters degree at the academy of art. I'm focusing on visual development and character design. Im looking for some good professional critiques, I want to make sure my portfolio is the best it can be.

Most of my lines are done using my intuos 3 wacom tablet. Im still adjusting to it and have finally gotten steady enough to do some line work.

I appreciate all the advice!

and thank you!

FILES ARE UPLOADED IN THE COMMENT BELOW.

Last edited by kgCan; May 5th, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally able to upload my images. These are a few of my portfolio pieces.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, don't worry about acceptance, unless you're going for advanced standing in some classes, your work at hand will easily get you in the door at AAU.

As far as critique, although I can tell you didn't give the last one as much time and love as the others, can you see how the bolder line weight and wider range of line thickness in the last character really makes it pop?

Your other pieces are well constructed, and have a lot of character appeal and personality, but the single thickness of line (called "dead weight" line) makes the characters flatten somewhat, kind of like a decal.

I would look for opportunities to push the bolder line in those characters, to give them bounce, and depth. Try adding bolder weight to the shadow side, and increase thickness on the forms nearest the viewer and the focal point. Drop line weight away from the front of the picture plane, and away from the focal point.

Also, you could use vector based line tools to help with stability and cleanliness, if the wacom gives you problems. Try the pen tool in PSP, or Illustrator. It's a different paradigm, but gives great effects once you're used to using vectors.

Nice work and good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as a graduate student at AAU i can tell you that you should get accepted without any issues.

as a critique of your work i would say that your line of action is pretty solid and your characters well balanced and proportioned. really, really work on determining your light source by including drop shadows (this will keep your characters from floating in space as well), and including form shadows on your characters. take reference photos. it will raise your artwork to another level. and last but not least check out your negative spaces and work to avoid tangents (when lines and forms come together in awkward places).

as long as you devote more time to designing artwork for videogames instead of playing them you'll do fine. hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.