Thread: B.A. Chicks

Thanks

B.A. Chicks

I'm a 3D modeler, I'm building my modeling portfolio, trying to get into games, and I want to get some female characters modeled for variety, as my folio is pretty male and creature heavy right now. Can any if you recommend a concept artist who does really great bad a** chicks? I don't particularly care if they're cyberpunk, elves, or space marines, as long as they're tough and sexy. I've poked through the gallery here on CA, and I've found a few nice things. Would be nice to have some more to choose from though.

I ALWAYS credit the original artist when I model from someone's concept.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinBrown View Post
    I'm a 3D modeler, I'm building my modeling portfolio, trying to get into games, and I want to get some female characters modeled for variety, as my folio is pretty male and creature heavy right now. Can any if you recommend a concept artist who does really great bad a** chicks? I don't particularly care if they're cyberpunk, elves, or space marines, as long as they're tough and sexy. I've poked through the gallery here on CA, and I've found a few nice things. Would be nice to have some more to choose from though.

I ALWAYS credit the original artist when I model from someone's concept.
    This isn't a specific artist, but MB's gallery has a very nice selection. http://www.massiveblack.com/MBwebolu...llustration/0/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I'd love to see more Bad Ass Black chicks....like with really nice dark skin.

Julie Dillion has one that's pretty cool for example: http://jdillon82.deviantart.com/art/...ment-149320302

Mattahan too http://mattahan.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    The whole "sexy she-techy gun wielder" thing has been done a hundred times. Liffey gave you a good link, but if it's VARIETY you're after, don't do something that's completely flooded the video game market already.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    don't do something that's completely flooded the video game market already.
    Point taken and opinion genuinely respected, but I would imagine the reason there's so much of it is because there's a market for it. I'm not trying to set any new standards or go against the grain here. I just want to show that I can model the sort of things I'd be expected to model in a job.

Thanks to everyone who's posted links, keep 'em coming!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DustinBrown For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    The whole "sexy she-techy gun wielder" thing has been done a hundred times. Liffey gave you a good link, but if it's VARIETY you're after, don't do something that's completely flooded the video game market already.
    I have to agree.. sadly about 3 or 4 cliched design tropes pervade 95% of game content:

- big-titted unrealistic, idealized, cartoonish females with grossly oversized armor and weapons. Ironically, only one a million females look like that yet they are ubiquitous in games.
    - hyper-muscled, square-jawed idealized, cartoonish males with grossly oversized armor and weapons. Ironically, only a few pro-bodybuilders look like that yet in real life everyone screams "OMG Steroids!!!!!!!" when they come across pics of them. They are idolized in games, yet derided in the real world.
    - giant mechs and robots with oversized guns. Ironically, the clear trend in weaponry and robotics is to be ever smaller and more concealed
    - Tolkeinesque fantasy creatures derived from a few basic monster archetypes.

I'm as guilty as the next guy in some ways - definitely not wagging my finger... but the older I get the more derivative, absurd and childish the entire computer game world appears to me. And this is coming from a guy working as a concept artist in games for over 13 years. Sucks when your sensibilities outgrow your career.
    Last edited by DamnDirtyApe; May 4th, 2010 at 12:23 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DamnDirtyApe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3289959/jofo...0con%20fin.png

Again more Black girls! The dark skinned ones shouldn't be hidden in the back of MTV music videos...dammit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinBrown View Post
    Point taken and opinion genuinely respected, but I would imagine the reason there's so much of it is because there's a market for it. I'm not trying to set any new standards or go against the grain here. I just want to show that I can model the sort of things I'd be expected to model in a job.

Thanks to everyone who's posted links, keep 'em coming!
    Ah yep, I can respect that. And an observational truth too, there's a market for it.

Ah well, there's a few posts here with some good material for you in that respect, don't be afraid of applying your own creative flick to it though. If you can add your own flare of creativity to a clients request (save it on a new layer, lol), then you'll find that if it's accepted, the work is a lot more rewarding.