LE1700 - portable cintiq - IT WORKS! - now with video! - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone:
    It's been a bit since dropping into this forum. Just wanted to say that my LE1700 MC has been amazing!
    Unfortunately it's developing some burn marks on the screen once it gets hot.

Couple of questions:
    is LE1700 still the way to go for a portable Slate option? I've been looking at the x220t by Lenovo which is a convertible but I'm hearing that the the screen resolution and sensitivity is a bit lacking compared the the LE1700. Has great battery life, memory, cpu, processor but I'm unsure of the actual quality of using one.

I have a 1.06Ghz DualCore LE1700 w/ 4GB memory. Does the 1.5Ghz make it that much better for applications like Photoshop CS4 or CS5?

Last question, my battery life is roughly 1.5 hours now with using Sketchbook Pro. Is this fairly normal for everyone else? if so are you using any extended battery?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although the Le16/1700 are super cheap off ebay, The Asus Ep121 is the current champ as far as modern Slates go. Drawbacks being 2-hour battery life, and some performance issues with the ulv core i5. Also...it along with every other slate has the iPad influenced clean bezel so forgot about having the programable buttons like the le1700 has.

But I'd recommend waiting for the Samsung Series 7 tablet that was just announced today.

11.6" 400 nit display, Wacom penabled, 2nd gen Sandy Bridge Core i5, 4g RAM, 64/128g SSD, up to 7 hours battery life.

If Samsung can deliver, this will be a phenomenal tablet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't heard about the Samsung Series 7 Tablet, but it looks good. Here is a comparison to the ASUS Tablet

http://tablets-planet.com/2011/08/31...e-slate-ep121/

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapsman88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. Samsung and the EP121 look great but from what I've heard is the realestate 1280x and sensitivity isn't as close to the LE1700. I also read from some forums that the Lenovo x220t is toting a 512 pressure sensitivity w/ a 1366x768 resolution.
    edit: looks like the samsung does have a 1366 res, so maybe there is hope. Unfotunately it's capped at 4gb memory.

I'll be able to test a EP121 this weekend but I should also mention I'm really wanting to do some Matte Painting on the go which requires a system to tackle Photoshop and fairly large images. Kind of a big ask but I'm really curious how the new Samsung, soon to be Lenovo Win 7 slate can handle these applications.

Anyone else around that's doing concept art or matte painting with these type of convertible or slates?

Last edited by Bondok; September 3rd, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondok View Post
    Thanks guys. Samsung and the EP121 look great but from what I've heard is the realestate 1280x and sensitivity isn't as close to the LE1700. I also read from some forums that the Lenovo x220t is toting a 512 pressure sensitivity w/ a 1366x768 resolution.
    edit: looks like the samsung does have a 1366 res, so maybe there is hope. Unfotunately it's capped at 4gb memory.

I'll be able to test a EP121 this weekend but I should also mention I'm really wanting to do some Matte Painting on the go which requires a system to tackle Photoshop and fairly large images. Kind of a big ask but I'm really curious how the new Samsung, soon to be Lenovo Win 7 slate can handle these applications.

Anyone else around that's doing concept art or matte painting with these type of convertible or slates?
    Resolutions are kind of subjective. From my experience with numerous tablet PCs, its not too much of an issue. But I'm just more adaptable to different screen dimensions. Some people resolution can make or break the experience.

Also ALL WACOM Penabled Tablet PCs have 256 Levels of Pressure, even the x220t only has 256 levels. Only the Modbook has 512 levels, but the modbook is a headache all in itself.

The Ep121 can handle photoshop, but not that well. Anything with a ULV is gonna struggle. The Samsung Sharp Tablet is ULV, but the new sandy bridge update should put it at the same performance as a last generation full voltage core series.

But generally, a Convertiable tablet would be overall better for higher performance needs. Since they are bigger/thicker, they are generally easier to upgrade and get better performance.

oh and avoid the Lenovo Windows Slate. It uses N-trig. I highly recommend you stick to Wacom Penabled.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks DarkMagic!
    Looks like I think it would be safer to go with a Convertible since I have a MBA 2011 and a LE1700.

I'm pretty sure at somepoint in the next 12-18 months something really cool will come out that all of us Digital Artists will drool over...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just received the Axiotron Pen and it works fantastic on my LE1600. The pen that came with the tablet was not very responsive and had a bit of a lag when drawing.

Thanks for the recommendation.

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So ive been thinking of this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jewKgi22D6Y

The J3500 Touch.

Anyone had the luck of using it ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I personally haven't used the J3500, it should work just as well as any other wacom penabled tablet PC. If anything the J3500 is more or less Motion Computings modern update to the discontinued Le1700 line. More or less their prefered "tablet of the house."

be warned though....its expensive. $1700 for the base model.

For Tablet PCs, unless you want a really tricked out model, I wouldn't recommend spending more then $1000-$1200 for a new one. Once your in the $1700 range, your always going to have that nagging feeling in the back of your head that you could have just spent a little more and bought a Cintiq 21ux instead.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On a tablet PC forum I heard Motions newer tablets actually have lower quality displays then the LE1600/1700. Just hear say, but look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've scanned up and down this thread, and saw a lot about pens, but didn't see anyone with my situation.

I just got a LE1700, but it didn't have a pen with it. I can order a new one, and likely will, but when i tried to use my Intuos 3 pen and my older Wacom pen neither worked....I am worried, because I'm not sure if it's an incompatible pen, or if the tablet doesn't work properly. Would hate to pay for a nonrefundable official pen only to find that it doesn't work either.

SHould the Intuos pens work? Or should I just order the pen and hope?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phloog View Post
    I've scanned up and down this thread, and saw a lot about pens, but didn't see anyone with my situation.

I just got a LE1700, but it didn't have a pen with it. I can order a new one, and likely will, but when i tried to use my Intuos 3 pen and my older Wacom pen neither worked....I am worried, because I'm not sure if it's an incompatible pen, or if the tablet doesn't work properly. Would hate to pay for a nonrefundable official pen only to find that it doesn't work either.

SHould the Intuos pens work? Or should I just order the pen and hope?
    Of course not, it's been said in this thread it doesn't work.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=183

I already gave info on one that does.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks...can someone supply me with actual FILENAMES for the proper drivers?

I have tried a number of variants of things shown here (bamboo, European, etc), and still I get all or nothing (no pressure sensitivity at all) with the LE1700...I then decided I'd ask Motion themselves, and I got this:

"The screen itself is not pressure sensitive. The Wacom pen is a little pressure sensitive. While testing in Windows Journal you can barely have a line if barely holding the pen tip against the screen and it gets thicker with more pressure. It is almost not noticeable".

I have no idea what "a little pressure sensitive" is supposed to mean...other than I get a vibe from Motion like they have no clue what their own hardware is capable of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by phloog View Post
    Thanks...can someone supply me with actual FILENAMES for the proper drivers?

I have tried a number of variants of things shown here (bamboo, European, etc), and still I get all or nothing (no pressure sensitivity at all) with the LE1700...I then decided I'd ask Motion themselves, and I got this:

"The screen itself is not pressure sensitive. The Wacom pen is a little pressure sensitive. While testing in Windows Journal you can barely have a line if barely holding the pen tip against the screen and it gets thicker with more pressure. It is almost not noticeable".

I have no idea what "a little pressure sensitive" is supposed to mean...other than I get a vibe from Motion like they have no clue what their own hardware is capable of.
    I have a LE1600 and I was having trouble with the Wacom Pen Drivers until I noticed this post on DeviantArt:
    http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/jour...DATE-224071462

I installed the Fujitsu drivers Fox-orion recommended and it worked better for me. I uninstalled all of Tablet Pen Drivers before I installed the Fujitsu drivers.
    Though I am running XP Tablet PC version, and I don't know if this is applicable to Win 7.

Also I have the Axiotron Pen mentioned earlier in the thread an it works better than the Pen that came with the tablet.

~John

Last edited by vapsman88; October 28th, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added Pen info.
    John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vapsman88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by surpher View Post
    I found this a while ago. TabletPC Quickkeys
    I found a small piece of software to emulate several keys that is user definable called Modlock. It stays on top of the other windows.
    http://www.shepy.co.uk/blog/modlock/

~John

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys, i didnt really read the whole thread, so if someone asked this question, im sorry.

Dose the brush become laggy in ps when donig heavy duty painting like with decent amount of layers and stuff?

Im debating weather to get the samsung slate or le1700

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you DO read the whole thread. There's nothing more irritating than people too impatient or lazy to do their research on buying products. You make the debate, take the time to find out the good and bad and make an informed decision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll probably wait a few years for this technology to really be refined before getting something like this over just using pen/paper or laptop.

Good stuff though, certainly a step in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to hot-swap standard battery when you have plugged external battery or AC/DC charger? I've tried to find extended flat battery with reasonable price, but no luck, so I'll have to rely on second standard battery and external battery.

Another question is how heavy and big is package of tablet with accessories. The tablet I bought on ebay comes with stand and charger only, I think. It will be shipped through my acquaintance living in USA and I'd like to check possible international shipping costs.

And by the way, does anyone have LE1700 with 1400x1050 LCD made by Hydis? The easiest way to assume is to see if turned off screen gives greenish or purple/blue tint when reflecting some light and black is quite deep, not bleached.

Last edited by Tonic; November 16th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to hot-swap standard battery when you have plugged external battery or AC/DC charger? I've tried to find extended flat battery with reasonable price, but no luck, so I'll have to rely on second standard battery and external battery.
    You can put it in hibernation mode. It will write it to disk and you can swap a battery. Keep in mind though Hibernation takes a lot of space so keep in mind how much hdd you have, (for mine it takes 4gb)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can anyone help. I received my LE 1700 from ebay I also purchased a axtiotron studio pen. I'm running windows 7 and Now Im trying to get the studio pen setup, like to map the two buttons on the pen and can't figure out how. I've installed the latest tablet pc driver from wacom's site, ISD dualtouch 701-8 and when I go into the settings in my control panel theres still no option to set the second button. I would really like to set the second button to shift if at all possible, can someone help??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tvern23 View Post
    Can anyone help. I received my LE 1700 from ebay I also purchased a axtiotron studio pen. I'm running windows 7 and Now Im trying to get the studio pen setup, like to map the two buttons on the pen and can't figure out how. I've installed the latest tablet pc driver from wacom's site, ISD dualtouch 701-8 and when I go into the settings in my control panel theres still no option to set the second button. I would really like to set the second button to shift if at all possible, can someone help??
    I actually use an older driver. I think I was using the Graphire 3 drivers to get it to recognize the stylus. That will leave you with 2 switches to program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soooo after a year plus a few months after discovering this thread. (waiting) i bought an le1600 VA on e-bay $330. i downloaded sketchbook pro trial version
    i guess it will take some time getting used too.....haha......eeeeeeeehhhh......i guess i'm psyched..(this came with with no docking station so i can't upload anything to it yet)....but i'm just so used to photoshop CS. plus i thought it be cool too see what i'm making in front of me like a naturual medium. but i'm just so used too jumping around when it comes to digital......i don't exactaly have any questions.... i guess what i'm looking for right now is simple little sketchbook pro tips&tricks....
    which i'm sure was covered but you guy's get so tech savoy sometimes it's hard to read through..........thanks

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 20th, 2012 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here my tonights crappy attempt i tried the program earlier today
    LE1700 - portable cintiq - IT WORKS! - now with video!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something important about LE1700.

LE1700s made before September 2008, have "bad" Toshiba displays, newer LE1700s and also LE1600s, come with "good" Hydis displays. The difference is in viewing angle and brightness:

You can tell them apart by the color when the screen is powered off, Toshiba is greenish and Hydis is black with bluish purple tint, some people suggest if it comes with 80GB HDD (vs 30GB) and Vista, then it could be the newer unit:

Last edited by Paul Dolgov; January 21st, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I actually use an older driver. I think I was using the Graphire 3 drivers to get it to recognize the stylus. That will leave you with 2 switches to program.
    I'm having the exact same issue as tvern23. After installing a Graphire 3 driver, Bamboo Properties appear in my applications but it won't launch as it says it can't detect the tablet. Alternatively, I pen properties in the motion dashboard and it hadn't changed so there was no option to program the second switch.

I've been at this for a few days now with no luck. Could anyone who has successfully programmed the 2-switch Axiotron Studio Pen on a Windows 7 LE1700 please leave a detailed reply? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having the exact same issue as tvern23. After uninstalling the ISD pen driver, restarting and then installing a Graphire 3 driver, Bamboo Properties appears in my applications but it won't launch. The launch error states that it can't detect the tablet. Alternatively, the pen properties in the motion dashboard hadn't changed so there was no option to program the second switch on the Axiotron Studio Pen.

I've been at this for a few days now with no luck. Could anyone who has successfully programmed the 2-switch Axiotron Studio Pen on a Windows 7 LE1700 please leave a detailed reply? For instance, is there a certain (older?) release of the Graphire 3 driver that worked? Also, what are the proper steps to get the LE1700 to acknowledge the dual switches? I've been reading over various forums for days with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can look up the driver version I'm using on the LE1700 but give me some time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Arshes Nei. I'd appreciate that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The driver version I'm using is 5.2.1-6

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10