Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPad Drawing

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lanternwaste View Post
    Arshes Nei:
    I realize it's just storage I'm just trying to figure out if the 16gb is enough to store a bunch of art created (I don't know how much space created artwork takes up) in apps like procreate, Sketchbook pro, etc. or if it is better to go for the 32gb...

artmessiah:
    All great points to keep in mind. Thanks for posting those!
    I don't see again why this is an issue. You can move stuff off storage to Dropbox/PC if it becomes too full. I hardly doubt on the ipad you're making art that takes up gbs alone (ie like a file taking up 1gb ). It's not a full pc /desktop.

With iCloud coming up this is less of an issue. http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 24th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is something I'm sure Ipad users can appreciate. It's called the Jot Captive Stylus and it is basically the assemble lined version of the DIY stylus on the previous page and it looks great.

I found these reviews to be a good analysis about the pen.
    Check them out here and the full review Here

and then check out the video review

Peeeeeace.

Last edited by artmessiah; October 1st, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To anyone wanting to draw on their ipad and hate the fat tip stylus, get the Adonit Jot (as mentioned above by yours truly), it fugging rocks. Got mine today and it makes a whole world of difference in the drawing experience. The Jot Pro is very much worth the money if you can get it. If pressure sensitivity was added you'd have as close as you can get a portable cintiq. You don't have to hold the pen a certain way like the dagi Stylus - It kinda feel like the tip on a wacom pen sliding on the screen. Just make a glove for your drawing hand. I made a glove using an old leather garden glove and cut out all the fingers except the pinky (think smudge guard for cintiqs). Works well - that is all... I'm back to drawing

iPad Drawing

Last edited by artmessiah; October 1st, 2011 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Videos

Last edited by artmessiah; October 10th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    If pressure sensitivity was added you'd have as close as you can get a portable cintiq.
    I really hate when people make this claim. There is already a portable alternative to a Cintiq, its called a Tablet PC. They've been around for awhile now, a good 7-8 years. You get a wacom pen, pressure, hovering, full support for programs like Photoshop, Painter, etc. Some wouldn't put them in the same class as a Cintiq, but its far more a portable cintiq then anything you'll see on an ipad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    I really hate when people make this claim. There is already a portable alternative to a Cintiq, its called a Tablet PC. They've been around for awhile now, a good 7-8 years. You get a wacom pen, pressure, hovering, full support for programs like Photoshop, Painter, etc. Some wouldn't put them in the same class as a Cintiq, but its far more a portable cintiq then anything you'll see on an ipad.
    Wow who pissed in your koolaid today lol. It was just a general opinion friend, not a statement of fact. I own two cintiqs (21inch and 12inch) and have a intuos4 large, so I understand the disparity between an ipad (limited options) and a cintiq. A tablet pc is a more powerful and robust system to the ipad any day. You can add photoshop, painter, etc, but a brand new tablet pc is an expensive endeavor for sketching portability. You can get a tablet pc off of ebay or elsewhere, but there may be issues with getting wacom drivers to work right, battery life, and some systems not supporting newer software. That's not to say that Tab pc's aren't awesome - they are, but and Ipad is cheap (considering the price of a new tab pc), we know what the limitations are and it's rock solid for sketching for up to 8 hours. Name a Tab pc that can do that and I'll shut up. Just take the statement "Portable Cintiq" with a grain of salt. It wasn't a defacto statment of truth to all that is reading this.

I'll just repost what I wrote on the previous page - I know you already read it Darkmagistric, but I feel compelled to restate it here

Although these points have been discussed before and most people are well aware of the IPAD's limitations if they've read through this thread. I think it need to be said and listed again.

First - The Ipad is not a Cintiq, the ipad does NOT have pressure sensitivity. A lot of new programs try to simulate pressure sensitivity with varying degrees of success, but it does not have it yet (See Arshes Nei's Video post).

Second - There is no sharp point stylus just yet. You can make a DIY which comes close if not perfectly making a semi point, but most DIY seem a bit ghetto to me. The new pens like the Pengo Pen, Pogo Pen, Wacom Pen, Griffen/Targus pens are great and the thicker tip becomes less of an issue once you get used to it. Zooming in on images allows for great detail using these stylus's.

Third - The ipad screen can be a bit glossy - it doesn't have an outdoor screen option. I work outside all the time, but I find a nice and shaded area to do it.

Fourth - The Ipad is great, but sometimes good ole pencil and paper is a better option for a great many people. Trust me, the ipad wont help you to become a better artist. Often times it's quicker and better for you as an artist to stick with the old fashion (nowadayz anyway) paper sketchbook.

Having said all that, the ipad is a great portable digital sketchbook. The fact you can draw, experiment with color and shape, and send to the internetz is a great benefit. So far no slate tablet or laptop has the battery life of the Ipad yet. I've gone 6 to 8 hours using my ipad before it needed to charge. That in itself is worth the shortcomings. Not to mention there is a buttload of new apps coming out all the time for artist and musicians - I love my ipad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IPAD Plein Air

Concept Artist Robh Ruppel Digital Plein Air and sketches. According to his blog he uses Inspire Pro and Artstudio for these.

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

This is his Plein Air setup with the Ipad

iPad Drawing

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These last posts are pretty incredible!
    Im looking to buy an ipad next week. I got hooked the other day when i got a stylus for my iphone, it works really well. You dont need the pressure sensitivity either in my opinion.

I cant wait to go to the apple store to get one!

Help wanted
    >>>Sketchbook<<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saw and downloaded this app called MyBrushes . It has a lot of the Mypaint default brushes/blenders/fx brushes and even has the option of choosing a backgroud (like Mypaint). Overall the program runs a bit slow and glitchy with certain brushes (the default pen for example), It doesn't have layers and a few mypaint features are missing, but it's the closest I've seen to mypaint on the Ipad and it has an auto record feature for play back of the drawing process. Hopefully with a few updates this app will get better.

iPad Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Inspire Pro could knock their price down a few dollars. While I understand how simple and smooth it was, there were a lack of helpful features that I wasn't too keen on.

It does go on special I think it did recently for 99 cents, but I think they can stop with the specials and lower the base price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I think Inspire Pro could knock their price down a few dollars. While I understand how simple and smooth it was, there were a lack of helpful features that I wasn't too keen on.

It does go on special I think it did recently for 99 cents, but I think they can stop with the specials and lower the base price.
    I agree. Layers would help justify the price a bit, but as it stands now a permanent price drop wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Inspiration

More Vidz from Nikolai Lockertsen - he uses Brushes for the ipad

iPad Drawing

Last edited by artmessiah; November 15th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is your opinion of Brushes. I have not tried the program but Procreate seems to have more functions...I just know Brushes was the "first"/most popular due to people who used it to get it into the spotlight (along with Colors - I still play with that on the DS)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is your opinion of Brushes. I have not tried the program but Procreate seems to have more functions...I just know Brushes was the "first"/most popular due to people who used it to get it into the spotlight (along with Colors - I still play with that on the DS)
    I actually like procreate more than brushes, but I like Brushes's layer blending modes better than Procreate. Brushes actually has a colorize and overlay mode whereas Procreate gives you "add" and "exclusion" (which could work better IMO). I like the fact you can custom make brushes in Procreate, but there is no way to label the brushes yet and some of the brushes (stroke icons) can look the same making it hard to find that awesome brush you just created. Brushes has icons and you can easily see which is which. I like the saturation and opacity of Brushes's colors and I slightly prefer the interface of Brushes, although, I wish you could see in real time the brush size/opacity level change sorta like SBP. I hate Procreate's color picker and prefer the circular color picker I'm used to like in Brushes. Still, Procreate is the more robust option with tweakable brush settings (with importing of image stamps), blending and mixing options, PSD support, record/playback, HD image options, can see the brush size change in real time, etc. I like procreate more, but I do like the simplicity of Brushes. BTW I still rock the DS too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'll give Brushes a try then. It was nearly 18 bucks when I last saw it (which is...too much for an app imo considering the limitations of the iPad) but I think it went down to 8 which I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I said before the iPad IS pressure sensitive hardware wise but Apple will not allow this API to be introduced privately (against store rules) and won't add it to their SDK (yet?)

Wow. I'd definitely get an ipad if it had some sort of pressure sensitivity. Is there any reason why the won't allow access to it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by megaten View Post
    Wow. I'd definitely get an ipad if it had some sort of pressure sensitivity. Is there any reason why the won't allow access to it?
    The Apple Newton.

Basically the iPad is not the first tablet device Apple had. The Newton used a stylus. I think when Jobs went for the design of the ipod touch he wanted to avoid a "mistake" and didn't want the stylus around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am surprised people haven't posted up anything on Sketch Club.

They have a pretty good Alchemy rip off going.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketc...404414176?mt=8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Composite G View Post
    I am surprised people haven't posted up anything on Sketch Club.

They have a pretty good Alchemy rip off going.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketc...404414176?mt=8
    It was mentioned, but in a comparative way. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...8&postcount=50

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there anything on the Android end? I'm trying to decide between Ipad 2 and the new ASUS Transformer Prime, but I only found Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop Touch on the Android marketplace, while Ipad has all these awesome apps made for it.

Also I hope any of these apps allow to keep some sort of color selector ON the screen all the time, preferably in it's own toolbar and not hovering over a painting area, or allow to pick the color off the painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the stylus I bought, AluPen, Adonit Jot, Wacom Bamboo, Griffin, will see what they all do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

iPEN Active Stylus

iPen is from a Kickstarter project that looks extremely promising. It is a active stylus that works similar to wacom digitized pen tablets. It has pen recognition that starts to work as soon as the pen hovers above the screen - awesome. It doesn't have pressure sensitivity yet, but it will once the iPEN 2 gets released (doubly awesome ). All apps don't work with it yet, but most of the art apps will and there is a list on their site that shows which future apps will work. The pen itself will be about $60, which is a fair (not the cheapest), but fair price. All in all this looks like great news for ipad artist. Check out the site and info HERE

iPad Drawing

And or check out these videos

* edit the retail price is $89... hmm still fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    For the stylus I bought, AluPen, Adonit Jot, Wacom Bamboo, Griffin, will see what they all do.
    The Adonis Jot is my favorite. The Jot can skip from time to time, but I've found two very effective fixes on the adonis jot's site that makes it EXTREMELY more sensitive and eliminates the skips.

I used this fix and I'm happy with it.

http://support.adonit.net/entries/20...-easy-solution

But this fix might work better for those that want a looser jot tip than what the first solution (that I like) offers. It is the solution of using a thermal compound on the tip.

http://support.adonit.net/entries/20...-while-writing

Last edited by artmessiah; December 26th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ByZero Active Pen stylus

ByZero looks great too, but, the iPen has more support. It already has partnerships with the makers of Artrage, Procreate, Sketch Club, and Ibis Paint (all great drawing apps) and it's about $70 cheaper. However ByZero does makes a pen very similar to the iPen and it's available right now on Amazon. If you got money burning your pockets than maybe you may want to get this. Although, waiting for the iPen may be a better option. I may end up getting both to see which one performs the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Byzero-Studio-...06M5EL7A/ref=s

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iPen is from a Kickstarter project that looks extremely promising. It is a active stylus that works similar to wacom digitized pen tablets. It has pen recognition that starts to work as soon as the pen hovers above the screen - awesome. It doesn't have pressure sensitivity yet, but it will once the iPEN 2 gets released (doubly awesome ). All apps don't work with it yet, but most of the art apps will and there is a list on their site that shows which future apps will work. The pen itself will be about $60, which is a fair (not the cheapest), but fair price.
    From what I understand it's an API issue that won't allow pressure sensitivity on the iPad, it's not something that can be necessarily be programmed into a stylus. What you want is Apple to allow the API -

Clearly you can do it with a private API but it's against Apple's rules.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I understand it's an API issue that won't allow pressure sensitivity on the iPad, it's not something that can be necessarily be programmed into a stylus. What you want is Apple to allow the API -

Clearly you can do it with a private API but it's against Apple's rules.

Yeah, you are right about this. I don't know, it could be a ploy to get people to buy their pen, but the question was asked in the pages FAQ. Question: "Does iPen come with pressure sensitivity?" Answer: "No! But we plan to have pressure sensitivity feature available on iPen 2." So either they know something we don't know or they are misleading the masses. Whichever it is I'm still going to buy it. The Jot is the closest so far to a decent ipad stylus and this one looks like the next best thing pressure sensitivity or not. I just hope it works like it's being advertised.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Personally, I prefer the Zero Stylus pen. Designed like a broad stroke pen, it can be quite handy in outlining designs or even if I'm just doodling on my iPad.

ZeroStylus - Stylus for capacitive touchscreens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My sketches

a couple bump sketches by yours truly. Both done with Brushes.

iPad Drawing

iPad Drawing

32. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When is the open due out? I think I could go with the Adonis jot for now until then. Also looking for app comparisons. Sketchbook pro, art rage, procreate and brushes seem to be at the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
    When is the open due out? I think I could go with the Adonis jot for now until then. Also looking for app comparisons. Sketchbook pro, art rage, procreate and brushes seem to be at the top.
    I've used all the apps listed. ArtStudio is the most "featured" app, but the UI is atrocious and the app is slow.

My top pick is procreate. Great for drawing and painting. It uses a custom paint engine to take advantage of the GPU. Smoothest UI and actively developed. A big update is due to hit anytime now. I bought it when it was 7.99 and it was the best money I've spent on an app.

btw, I like the Cosmonaut and Nomad Compose Styli, but they don't seem to be what you're looking for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5