iPad Drawing - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPad Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Joe.

Here's another great demo of using iPad. David Kassan demonstrating finger painting with iPad from a live model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLP4nbAVA4

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Photo View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I came across this Kyle Lambert Toy Story 3 ipad sketch using Brushes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofJC...os=Zlx8u3qDHa0

I've been toying with the idea of picking up an iPad for sketching with Brushes and Sketchbook Pro (plus it streams Netflix!) in place of my DS + Colors! and this video has me excited.

Learn to draw with Matthew Archambault at Drawing Tutorials Online

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." — Pablo Picasso
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

This is very cool. It reminds me of Deviant Art Muro-especially the sketch tool. I wonder which was produced first.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceRok View Post
    There's no need for Flash on the iPad. HTML5 is solid. What's important is that there is a flash alternative. What's gonna happen is iPhone and iPad compatibility will force people off flash and move forward a new standard. A great example of this is "Harmony" (http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/)

Written in HTML and very nice. BTW it's a solid replacement for the app shown in that youtube video.

-Deuce.Rok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the iPad is quite a capable device for artists. Sure, I'm as disappointed as everyone else that it doesn't have a digitizer and stylus, but the form factor can't be beat. While the capacitive touch screen limits input accuracy and there is no pressure sensitivity on the available stylii, drawing and painting actually works surprisingly well. Line art can be problamatic without lots of pinch zooming, but painting is just as easy as on a real wacom. And again, the ability to carry around a digital sketchpad so perfectly sized and which only weighs 1.5 pounds is pretty awesome. There is really nothing else as portable out there for digital artists. And it's cheaper than any other on-screen digital art device.

I don't do much finished work on it though. I generally use it for onsite roughs and coloring, then use whatever I've done as a base or reference on my desktop.

There are a bunch of great art apps out there, but my favorites are Brushes and ArtRage. Brushes has the best interface feel and workflow, with ArtRage at a close second. I also think Brushes can acheive the best look with the most ease when going for that digitally brushes look. I appreciate ArtRage for its awesome interface, the realistic natural mediums, and the variety of canvas types. Unfortunately in runs slower than any every other art app.

Sketchbook Pro is also quite good. I find the interface a bit too combersome though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone ever heard of the Modbook or Modbook Pro? The Pro is still in development. Both are pricey, but this is exactly what a digital artist would want. Just google it.

Ye Old Sketchbook

NEW SKETCHBOOK

"My mind is my palette.
    The world my canvas.
    Imagination my medium.
    "

"It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The iPad is a great art tool! It just needs a bit of grunt, as sketchbook pro and Art Studio have resolution limitations. Brushes is great for lose work though, as you can up res it on your desk top.

The iPad totally replaced my sketchbooks though, and I think when it gets a bit more powerful will replace my desktop too. On my blog at http://naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com you can see my transition from normal sketchbook to iPad.

The lack of propper touch sensitivity hasn't been a hindrance yet. Just more grunt would let Adobe Ideas and Paintbook work a lot better with their vector apporaches. Also Doink is pretty fun to animate with i had a stylus, but threw it out. Just rocking the finger now, and it works fine.

@NJR I found artrage to be super slow on my iPad. It seems good just slow.

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got an ipad 2 days ago and I love it. Although my pogo stylus is very capable, I made a custom stylus using Crayola Model Magic for the tip and an old x-acto (minus the blade) for the body and it works great - so far. The apps I'm diggin on right now are Sketchbook pro, Sketch Club (nice app), Artrage, and ArtStudio, which imo is the best out of all of them in a lot of respects. The developer did a great job with it. It has a lot of things that the big boys have: custom brush creation, clone tool, gradient, symmetrical painting, wet brush blending, selection and rotation, etc. It's awesome. I love how I'm now digitally portable. I haven't missed the pressure sensitivity thing yet, but if it was available a tear would swell in my right eye

Last edited by artmessiah; February 8th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some really cool ipad drawings and paintings for inspiration and to sway a few teetering on whether to buy an ipad or not. The painting apps are Brushes, Sketchbook Pro and my personal favorite Artstudio. I'll post a few sketches on my blog once I get a chance to show my go at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This pictures aren't really made on a iPAD? o_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they are, there are some insanely detailed and high quality images done in Brushes and Sketchbook Pro. The only problem, especially with sketchbook pro is the resoltio size. Brushes uses the strokes you did to caluclate on your desktop a higher resolution of your painting, with mixed results.

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Silwynar View Post
    This pictures aren't really made on a iPAD? o_o
    Yes, all are made on the ipad from various artist. Brushes has the highest resolution, but when I export stuff from Artstudio I upgrade the resolution with PhotoPad and add a sharpen filter to uptick the image a bit. Doesn't look too bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Inspiration.

I have 3 crappy ipad doodles in my sketch thread, but I'll post more finished pieces when I'm not working on other things.

Maciej Kuciara stuff

Sparth Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is insanity!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    Just got an ipad 2 days ago and I love it. Although my pogo stylus is very capable, I made a custom stylus using Crayola Model Magic for the tip and an old x-acto (minus the blade) for the body and it works great - so far. The apps I'm diggin on right now are Sketchbook pro, Sketch Club (nice app), Artrage, and ArtStudio, which imo is the best out of all of them in a lot of respects. The developer did a great job with it. It has a lot of things that the big boys have: custom brush creation, clone tool, gradient, symmetrical painting, wet brush blending, selection and rotation, etc. It's awesome. I love how I'm now digitally portable. I haven't missed the pressure sensitivity thing yet, but if it was available a tear would swell in my right eye
    I would be so grateful for a photo of your stylus. The model magic actually works as a stylus tip? Fantastic! I don't like my pogo because the tip is so blunt and wide that I can't see my strokes beneath it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertineM View Post
    I would be so grateful for a photo of your stylus. The model magic actually works as a stylus tip? Fantastic! I don't like my pogo because the tip is so blunt and wide that I can't see my strokes beneath it.
    I've since bought a griffin/targus stylus which works even better for drawing, but I still use my homemade stylus every now and then and if you don't want to drop 20 or 30 dollars for a stylus - model magic works pretty good. The tip has to be a certain width to work. I had a fairly small tip at first but it only worked if I held the stylus at an almost vertical angle. I made the tip a bit thicker and it worked nicely. I didn't like the pogo because the strokes were hit and miss. Sometimes I'd get a line sometimes I didn't and the sponge chips off after a while. This DIY or a griffin is the best option in my opinion. I saw a guy on youtube make a DIY which allows you to see the line perfectly, feel free to try his method - I just found it quicker and less of a project to use the playdough.

And here's the videos on how to make a DIY super fine tip for Ipad

Last edited by artmessiah; March 11th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hi

Layers – Pro Edition for iPad -Like Brushes, Layers allows playback of your painting, but only to “watch it come to life.” Its canvas is limited to two sizes, neither larger than one megapixel (1028 x 1028.) But within these limitations, Layers packs a wallop. Up to five layers with adjustable, fifteen customizable brushes, intuitive pinch-and-spread pan/zoom, and minimal lag time make Layers perfect for the digital painter that isn’t wedded to the print medium at the end of the line. Compare paintings with a Layers community, comment, and receive feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing artwork done on an iPad. This is our stylus e.stylo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-SBZXNaHLc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the Youtube links artMessiah. I quickly made myself a prototype with a energy bar wrapper. This the most responsive stylus I've ever used for my iphone. I have a Pogo and a Boxwave stylus and my homemade stylus beats the crap out of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAdams View Post
    Thanks for the Youtube links artMessiah. I quickly made myself a prototype with a energy bar wrapper. This the most responsive stylus I've ever used for my iphone. I have a Pogo and a Boxwave stylus and my homemade stylus beats the crap out of them.
    @RodgerAdams - No prob.

New painting app, it's fairly cool. Not as robust as Artstudio but it has great tools and great UI. I like it

See it Here: Link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    @RodgerAdams - No prob.

New painting app, it's fairly cool. Not as robust as Artstudio but it has great tools and great UI. I like it

See it Here: Link
    Thanks so much for posting this. I hadn't heard of this app, but it looks amazing! Man, it is amazing how many outstanding art and design apps there are out there.

It's really just too bad Apple probably won't develop a real Wacom style stylus for the iPad. It would basically be the greatest computing device ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found another decent looking painting app. It's called PenGo - you can find it here

It looks similar to sketchclub, but with less brush characteristics, and it has the option to save custom brushes (unlike sketchclub). The brush strokes could be a little smoother with more options for the layers and brushes. The brush strokes look fairly the same in some cases even though you pick a different brush shape. It's alright for a sketchpad app though. They also make a great looking stylus as well that's worth a peep.

Last edited by artmessiah; June 8th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Idea Creation

Ok, so I've been scouring the net (on my ipad ) looking for a idea creation tool in the same vein as Alchemy, but, unfortunately there isn't one similar or exactly like that program (I wish someone would port it to the ipad somehow). I did however find a great tool the for idea generation/creation called ART BOMB.

It's hard to explain so I'm posting a vid (skip to about 38 seconds into it). It's great, and in some ways similar to alchemy in the respect that randomness helps get creative juices flowing.

Take care all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update to Procreate makes it most impressive. PSD and PNG export, New Brushes and brush controls, Brush size is now remembered between brush, smudge and eraser, BLENDING MODES (Normal, Multiply, Add, Screen, Lighten, Exclusion) and a lot of other fixes and changes. GRRReat update

24. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As I said before the iPad IS pressure sensitive hardware wise but Apple will not allow this API to be introduced privately (against store rules) and won't add it to their SDK (yet?)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also Inspire Pro is at 99 cents for Father's Day. I don't feel it's worth the 7.99 price tag regularly. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inspi...355460798?mt=8

Arethus is offline Level Up - All Access Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom App

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgByFtjYotQ

More for writing, but also basic idea recording.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Procreate is doing a launch special for their app for 99 cents so if you're still not sure, can't beat it for a buck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What size iPad do you guys use for your art? 16gb? 32? Trying to figure out what is best. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lanternwaste View Post
    What size iPad do you guys use for your art? 16gb? 32? Trying to figure out what is best. Thanks!
    The size doesn't affect performance, just storage. So this question is a bit silly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although these points have been discussed before and most people are well aware of the IPAD's limitations if they've read through this thread. I think it need to be said and listed again.

First - The Ipad is not a Cintiq, the ipad does NOT have pressure sensitivity. A lot of new programs try to simulate pressure sensitivity with varying degrees of success, but it does not have it yet (See Arshes Nei's Video post).

Second - There is no sharp point stylus just yet. You can make a DIY which comes close if not perfectly making a semi point, but most DIY seem a bit ghetto to me. The new pens like the Pengo Pen, Pogo Pen, Wacom Pen, Griffen/Targus pens are great and the thicker tip becomes less of an issue once you get used to it. Zooming in on images allows for great detail using these stylus's.

Third - The ipad screen can be a bit glossy - it doesn't have an outdoor screen option. I work outside all the time, but I find a nice and shaded area to do it.

Fourth - The Ipad is great, but sometimes good ole pencil and paper is a better option for a great many people. Trust me, the ipad wont help you to become a better artist. Often times it's quicker and better for you as an artist to stick with the old fashion (nowadayz anyway) paper sketchbook.

Having said all that, the ipad is a great portable digital sketchbook. The fact you can draw, experiment with color and shape, and send to the internetz is a great benefit. So far no slate tablet or laptop has the battery life of the Ipad yet. I've gone 6 to 8 hours using my ipad before it needed to charge. That in itself is worth the shortcomings. Not to mention there is a buttload of new apps coming out all the time for artist and musicians - I love my ipad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes Nei:
    I realize it's just storage I'm just trying to figure out if the 16gb is enough to store a bunch of art created (I don't know how much space created artwork takes up) in apps like procreate, Sketchbook pro, etc. or if it is better to go for the 32gb...

artmessiah:
    All great points to keep in mind. Thanks for posting those!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2