iPad Drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPad Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

iPad Drawing

Anyone got an app that they love to draw on with the iPad? I've been using a pogo sketch stylus, an iPad and Adobe ideas.

-Deuce.rok

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont have an iPad, but an iPod (which isn't much of a difference except in screen size.)

Apps that you should consider:
    Brushes - simple. Opacity, 4 layers, ~10 brushes.
    Sketchbook - Complicated. Lots of features.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing on the iPad = HUGE difference... I also got one of the website saving apps and downloaded/saved Harmony.... REALLY great app if you're into some fun web sketching... I'll link it here.

I've been using ideas. I refuse to buy Layers AGAIN just to get it in HD. I already have it on my iPhone, but the Small screen+large stylus is too bulky for my taste.

-Deuce.ROk

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This dude uses sketchbook pro on iPad with pretty cool results:

http://gorillaartfare.com/author/goro/

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Adobe Ideas is also out if you haven't given it a shot yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have an iPad, but I got to play with ArtStudio and Brushes on a friend's iPad, they seemed pretty decent, especially ArtStudio. (I have ArtStudio on my iPhone, nice little app, reasonably full-featured and easy to use, but much easier to use on the iPad than on the iPhone, because of the size.)

SketchBook is also not bad on the iPhone, it's about as full-featured as ArtStudio (except the version I have doesn't have a color picker. ArtStudio does.) I haven't tried it on an iPad, it's probably just as good or better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got adobe ideas. I'm really interested in using Sketchbook pro. I'll probably buy it at the end of next week and use it in my figure drawing group.

I love the stuff from that gorilla guy. I think I'm gonna start doing a series on robots, so that I can work with the general shapes w/out doing a fleshy human form.

-Deuce.rok

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't you get mobile versions of gimp and ps that would work on the iPad? Kinda like how it would on an iTouch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewb View Post
    Can't you get mobile versions of gimp and ps that would work on the iPad? Kinda like how it would on an iTouch?
    What do you think Adobe Ideas and Sketchbook pro mobile are? I'm just not sure by your wording you know how the iPad works?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iPad runs a native OS. It doesn't run windows or OSX.

I bought sketchbook pro and I think I'm in love. They really get it when it comes to drawing. It instantly felt natural. I'm using my iPad & a pogo sketch stylus (because drawing with my finger kills my wrist).

We'll see if I can use it at figure drawing. Overall... impressed.

Figured I'd add a sketch, too...

-Deuce.rok

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last I heard, the iPad isn't available in Canada yet. I haven't been keeping tabs, though. Just graduated so I'm ridiculously broke and job hunting and if I step foot in the Apple Store I know I'd be whipping out my credit card.

However, I came across a thing on youtube of Yoshitoshi ABe using Livesketch and drawing with his finger. Seems the app is also on the iPhone. I've never used it, I'm a CrackBerry person. But I must say, this is one of those things that motivates me to get back in drawing (and get an iPad) simply because that was kick ass.

"Without angst, there is no art." - Fred Gallagher
    "Man, I'ma beat these zombies til my watch falls off!" - Ellis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sarinn View Post
    Last I heard, the iPad isn't available in Canada yet. I haven't been keeping tabs, though. Just graduated so I'm ridiculously broke and job hunting and if I step foot in the Apple Store I know I'd be whipping out my credit card.
    Don't do it!! Get a laptop! Then you could actually just hook up your tablet and go to town on PS A drawing program on Ipad might be cool for a while, but if you actually need to produce stuff, you just need a decent workstation.

And.... laptops can play flash and have DVD players and cd drives.... so.... those are kinda handy

*ipadbuzzkill!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    Don't do it!! Get a laptop! Then you could actually just hook up your tablet and go to town on PS A drawing program on Ipad might be cool for a while, but if you actually need to produce stuff, you just need a decent workstation.

And.... laptops can play flash and have DVD players and cd drives.... so.... those are kinda handy

*ipadbuzzkill!*
    I'm a network admin. I like new toys
    And I'm one of those people who'd actually use the iPad for things like ebooks. I love ebooks; They're cheaper than print, and eco-friendly. Reading while sitting at my desk, however, is uncomfortable as hell.
    I have a laptop. DVDs & CDs are becoming obsolete. I can't even remember when I last opened the DVD tray in my PC. You can fit more on a flash drive than a CD or DVD, purchasing & installing programs can be done over the net and downloaded. Yes, flash is nice, but sadly flash doesn't play nice with touch screens.

I don't understand why a laptop would be good for digital art. Battery life is sad when doing anything intensive. When I was in school, if I was testing scripts or doing anything more intensive than word processing, my battery would maybe last 2.5 hours. I imagine the same goes for a digital artist. With a desktop, you get a bigger screen, or you can get two screens. Sure, you can move from point A to point B and take your stuff with you, but for me? Art is a hobby, not a profession.

Also, no you're not killing my urge for an iPad. I'm curious about it to no end. At the moment, I see it as being the start of something bigger. What if you had something like an iPad, but with more power? Imagine being able to run photoshop on it. Would this not mean artists would suddenly have (essentially) an affordable cintiq (intuos? which ever allows you to draw on the screen)?

Feel free to correct me, as I stated I'm not an artist by trade, and even as a hobby I've only recently returned to doing it. My Apple knowledge is limited, as is my knowledge of digital art.

** Edit **
    Oh, and to backup my view on the iPad of being the start to bigger things, here's a small article in which Bill Gates states that Microsoft is currently looking at a bunch of tablet projects. I somehow doubt Bill wants to take on Wacom.

Last edited by sarinn; May 4th, 2010 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand why a laptop would be good for digital art. Battery life is sad when doing anything intensive. When I was in school, if I was testing scripts or doing anything more intensive than word processing, my battery would maybe last 2.5 hours. I imagine the same goes for a digital artist. With a desktop, you get a bigger screen, or you can get two screens. Sure, you can move from point A to point B and take your stuff with you, but for me? Art is a hobby, not a profession.

Also, no you're not killing my urge for an iPad. I'm curious about it to no end. At the moment, I see it as being the start of something bigger. What if you had something like an iPad, but with more power? Imagine being able to run photoshop on it. Would this not mean artists would suddenly have (essentially) an affordable cintiq (intuos? which ever allows you to draw on the screen)?
    The one big drawback to using the iPad for digital art at the moment is there's no pressure sensitivity (last I checked.) So you never have enough control to do anything really sophisticated. It's a bit like old-school early 1980's digital art, when people had to draw with a mouse. Sure, you can get some interesting results, but it's very limited.

If someone does manage to make an iPad-like device with pressure sensitivity, a decent stylus, and a good painting app, I'd buy it instantly, of course.

Personally, I use a laptop as my desktop, and I can run everything I need just fine (Photoshop, Flash, the works.) Depends on the laptop, I think. For me it's more convenient in my small apartment, plus I can take it with me when I go places, and I don't need to pay for and maintain two whole computer setups.

Oh, and to backup my view on the iPad of being the start to bigger things, here's a small article in which Bill Gates states that Microsoft is currently looking at a bunch of tablet projects. I somehow doubt Bill wants to take on Wacom.
    Not only that, I've heard Google/Android is working on their version, too... Personally I'm waiting to see where this all goes. The iPad as it is now is kind of like an expensive toy as far as I'm concerned - neat, but not really worth the money to me. But one way or the other, it's bound to turn into something much cooler (and probably cheaper) in future versions. (Whether the coolest versions come from Apple or someone else remains to be seen.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tablet/slates are going to be coming as the wave of the future. There is the X2 in the UK, the Courier from MS and if you look in the wacom thread, people are rather happy with the detachable tablet/slate from Motion Computing LE1700. The Motion computing has Wacom tech on it and you can find one used on Ebay that does run an OS like Windows.

Also iPad does have pressure sensitivity: http://www.techmph.com/gadgets/mobil...uchscreen.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also iPad does have pressure sensitivity: http://www.techmph.com/gadgets/mobil...uchscreen.html
    Really? Then that's pretty cool, if it works... I only got to play with an iPad for a couple of days, and the painting and drawing apps I tried didn't take advantage of pressure sensitivity, so it was like drawing on a big iPhone. Kinda neat, but not very useful. Are there any apps yet that DO use pressure sensitivity? And do they work with a stylus?

Or should I keep waiting?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the impression most people would use the ipad to start a painting and get the basic idea down while they are on the train or bus or whatever, and then they can refine it when they get home (or wherever they have their tablet).
    I think that way an ipad would be much better than something like a laptop because then you don't have to carry laptop, tablet and stylus. Just ipad and your fingers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Really? Then that's pretty cool, if it works... I only got to play with an iPad for a couple of days, and the painting and drawing apps I tried didn't take advantage of pressure sensitivity, so it was like drawing on a big iPhone. Kinda neat, but not very useful. Are there any apps yet that DO use pressure sensitivity? And do they work with a stylus?

Or should I keep waiting?
    Yeah I didn't find the drawing to be intuitive myself, which is why I've been looking at the detachable tablet pcs where you need only the slate itself. I don't think the iPad is quite there yet for the artist who would like portable digital devices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, i have been thinking of a pen product, with a felt tip with material that would work on the iPad (so it knows where you pen is at on the screen). That way the only thing the pen has to do is calculate pressure and since the iPad has bluetooth transmit that information nearly instant. How awesome would this pen be.... if only i was a business person with some money.

Then the only thing you would need be some type of app that can handle pressure sensitivity information and such.

If somone from Wacom is reading this.. make it happen!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
    Damn, i have been thinking of a pen product, with a felt tip with material that would work on the iPad (so it knows where you pen is at on the screen). That way the only thing the pen has to do is calculate pressure and since the iPad has bluetooth transmit that information nearly instant. How awesome would this pen be.... if only i was a business person with some money.

Then the only thing you would need be some type of app that can handle pressure sensitivity information and such.

If somone from Wacom is reading this.. make it happen!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=187509

Tablet PC that weighs about 2-3lbs at most with Wacom tech that is detachable as a slate.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=187509

Tablet PC that weighs about 2-3lbs at most with Wacom tech that is detachable as a slate.
    That is seriously cool, though it seems to be kinda expensive. Thanks though i never seen it might actually consider buying it now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

However, I came across a thing on youtube of Yoshitoshi ABe using Livesketch and drawing with his finger. Seems the app is also on the iPhone. I've never used it, I'm a CrackBerry person. But I must say, this is one of those things that motivates me to get back in drawing (and get an iPad) simply because that was kick ass.
    all the comments on that video seem to be saying that its fake...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, in my opinion the iPad is NOT a digital canvas; however, it is an awesome sketchpad. I enjoy the fact that its nearly infinite in its page limit. Also, I've sat through a number of figure drawing sessions where I've used my Wacom and did not enjoy the power drain. Using a Macbook Pro, Bamboo Tablet and Photoshop and closing nearly EVERYTHING else, I barely get the 2.5 hours that I need.

Pressure sensitivity can basically be blamed on a Mr. Steve Jobs. He refuses to allow a stylus or create one for use. When it comes to Wacom tablets, the power is mostly in the pen itself. The iPad may be limited, but for those of us who want a Cintiq and can't afford it: 16 Gb iPad+Stylus+Drawing Program = $627.

The uses are beyond simply drawing. I've imported a lot of drawing books over, so I can take them to go, especially my Hogarth books.

-Deuce.ROk

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffix View Post
    all the comments on that video seem to be saying that its fake...
    Trusting comments on youtube is like trusting comments on 4chan. No wait, I trust Anonymous more than the children on youtube.

Very well, one should always be able to back up their source so:

How about the AnimeNewsNetwork?
    TechBlog?

Better yet, here's ABe's blog. Which was where I originally saw the video when a friend of mine who knows Japanese linked it to me. Will that be good enough?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    II found iPad to be quite god for the artwork purposes and the reason is very clear, the wide screen provides a better visibility than iPhone, moreover, you can get started with the sketching right where you want while sitting in a bus or while waiting for the train. The only problem that's had a negative effect on me is because its does have a flash compatible system and that's what Apple need to work on and get it worked out as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

FLASH?!!

There's no need for Flash on the iPad. HTML5 is solid. What's important is that there is a flash alternative. What's gonna happen is iPhone and iPad compatibility will force people off flash and move forward a new standard. A great example of this is "Harmony" (http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/)

Written in HTML and very nice. BTW it's a solid replacement for the app shown in that youtube video.

-Deuce.Rok

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DeuceRok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trusting comments on youtube is like trusting comments on 4chan. No wait, I trust Anonymous more than the children on youtube.

Very well, one should always be able to back up their source so:

How about the AnimeNewsNetwork?
    TechBlog?

Better yet, here's ABe's blog. Which was where I originally saw the video when a friend of mine who knows Japanese linked it to me. Will that be good enough?
    i was just saying what the comments were in case people hadnt looked at them. i never said i believed them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of iPad rivals. Hanvon (if anyone was reading the Wacom forums here about how they came out with intuos/cintiq like products) is making an "iPad killer"

http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/mar...ler-eh-smasher

From what it appears it is only touch, however, they may actually be in the clear of Wacom's patent issue. The thing is that wacom's induction tech used only one coil and due to limitations of technology at the time, no one else could make battery free operated pen. Hanvon made it with 2 coils and from what I understand may have more accuracy than the Wacom.

If you look up the Hanvon Wacom Lawsuit in Google you'll see some court papers in 08.

So if it's possible to have styluses like wacom's and the pressure sensitivity if one of the two companies with electromagnetic induction (battery free styluses) get smart, they'd make their own art slate PC so they can grab the artist's market.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone waiting to use the Microsoft Courier can stop waiting, the project has been nuked

See Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I came across this Kyle Lambert Toy Story 3 ipad sketch using Brushes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofJC...os=Zlx8u3qDHa0

I've been toying with the idea of picking up an iPad for sketching with Brushes and Sketchbook Pro (plus it streams Netflix!) in place of my DS + Colors! and this video has me excited.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2