Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Journey | Ch. 2.15: SCAD Winter Break

Thanks

Sketchbook Journey | Ch. 2.15: SCAD Winter Break

Hey Guys, Just wanted to post some work and introduce myself. I'm a recent high school graduate and I'm enrolled as a Sophomore at SCAD Savannah, with a major in Game Design. Although I intend to be a digital 3D artist, I also really enjoy painting in photoshop. I definitely have a lot of room for improvement, and I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. So far I haven't been the best at updating and drawing everyday, but I'm working on making practice more consistent and beneficial.

Any criticism or comments are encouraged and greatly appreciated. Thank you

||The image below is my most recent ||
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Licorize; December 9th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice work!I like that skeleton,keep it up !

Thanks
    Thank you!

Here's another pretty elaborate sketch I completed today. It is inspired and derived from Pink Floy'd song 'if' from the atom heart mother album. (if you are interested in hearing the song and seeing the rest of the lyrics go here )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    You practice and aren't afraid of details, that's good.
    But it seems you jump to details too early. As I said in your topic in Critique Center, draw the basic structure first... That can help a lot, clothes and accessories obscure anatomy flaws and why to polish something that can be redrawn later... Do quick gesture sketches as well, not only full clothed figures
    You have proportional problems, for example you tend to draw too short arms.

Interesting skull

Thanks
    nice start on your sketchbook, and interesting imagination. Have only one suggestion for you - try to focus more on anatomy and gesture. It will help you later when drawing from imagination.

Thanks
    Thank you guys!
    My main problem as far as gesture and skeleton/frame drawing is that I usually don't want to stop once I draw the frame. I like to finish what I start, so skeletons and frames tend not to remain as such for very long. xD
    I'm working to improve on my observation and gesture drawing skills though, so hopefully my anatomy will improve. It's just a bit difficult since I don't really have any people to 'observe' at home and in class I'm normally kinda busy with my work. Unfortunately our art program is really weak in our school (I can honestly say there are under 10 people in our school who would consider themselves artists) and our teacher basically lets us just do whatever we want for class. So I guess you could say I'm pretty self-taught in a sense.
    But anyways, I posted this in the critique, but since it's pretty much done ill post here also.
    I'm also working on coloring the aztec picture (photoshop) and I hope to work out a lot of the kinks in the anatomy since I didn't have an adequate reference when I drew it. I'll try and get some sketches done too, but we have AP tests going on throughout the week so I'm busy cramming for those. xD

Thanks
    Decided to do a quick sketch first.... I haven't ever really attempted glass before so this was new. it was pretty quick- about 20-30 min.

Thanks
    You're on the right track. : )

Your glass study was very nice. I can tell you're trying to get the proportions and anatomy right as well. I think what shiNIN and Ivan Turcin were saying is that to make your drawings more convincing, your anatomy and proportions have to be good.

Instead of spending a lot of time on a few illustrations.. even if they built from skeletons/gesture.

Take about 30 minutes and draw 6 sketches, five minutes a piece. There are anatomy books available both in book stores and.. around the internet.. google is your friend. I recommend Bridgman/Hogarth/Loomis. Most of us here on CA are at least somewhat self-taught as well.

After that, take about 5 minutes and sketch 10 really rough drawings of people, 30 seconds each. Just try to get the motion, the direction and critical lines of the model/reference.

Keep doing polished work too, if you like. Make sure you're having fun = ). They look good, and I can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Wonderful start to your sketchbook! I love how unafraid you are of trying new things. I like your eye for details. That glass study you did is looking good. I notice some of your work seems to lack volume and I think everyone's suggestions about anatomy will definitely help with flushing out forms better.

Post #6 has better form, but the hands, parts of the torso, etc are still rather flat. Hands are a pain but you will benefit from a lot of studies. Lovely work on the face.

You are on the right track. Just keep pushing and you'll have great improvements!

Thanks
    I wasn't too happy with the Aztec woman I originally did so I redrew her.
    Aztec women were REALLY short (women were rarely over 5' ) so I tried to make her proportions a little short and stocky.

Thanks
    A really quick sketch I colored for a friend on a roleplay forum... They just wanted a really simple 'tribal' design, so I admit I wasn't really too focused on the anatomy :x Much less the quick coloring job.... xD

Thanks
    A few more things since I havent uploaded recently...

Thanks
    In one word...

hands

... go draw hands (and draw them between half-life size and full-size). Aside from the one you're holding your pencil with, I assume you've got a spare one on the end of your other arm?

(Hands aren't your only problem, but when you've drawn a few from observation, I'll bet that in itself will help you spot other things that are off).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast