Thanks

CALLING ALL H. P. Lovecraft FANS!! Fh'tagn!

i plan on making[ somehow ] a graphic novel of future carter's dreamquest with a few characters from H.P.L. stories. i have a few [ shitty ] character sketches, but as for story, im stumped. If i do a dreamquest book, ill do it in two parts. The first [ book ] will be in the real world, and carter will have his life attempted upon by more and more srange things, and eventually land an apartment next to a descendant [ don't ask me how ] of R.U. Pickman. The second half will be what happened in his dreams over the same time span, and it will bring together all of the coincidences and such.

but...

I could do a Call of Cthulu story, or [ i really hope to do this eventually] a Mountains of Madness coloring book...

Anything h.p.l. goes.

Peace to all who desire it, and i await your collective responses!! R'lyeh! Fh'tagn!
    Last edited by Koopa Hunter D; February 19th, 2004 at 10:57 PM.
    "I couldn't be optimistic if I tried."
    ~Jake Brooks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    if your planning to do something using hp lovecraft's characters you might want to contact lovecraft's agents to see if it's ok to do. espically if your planning on distributing this.

Thanks
    Lovecraft's been dead for decades, surely the copyright must be up by now?

Thanks
    Quite the contrary. I was on a CD compilation called "The Challenge from Beyond" a few years back, a Lovecraft "tribute album" of sorts. That wasn't even visual art, and it was made possible only through the blessing of the HP Lovecraft estate. All those books sold don't bring dough only to the publishers...

That said, though, go for it for personal portfolio reasons...you should feel free to explore this on your own, and don't let legality get in the way of inspiration.

Just don't expect to publish it - online or in print - without the estates' consent.

-Atomick

PS The statute of limitations on copyrighted works tends to be about 50 years if, and only if, no one attempts to renew it.
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Thanks

franlky...

I was by no means planning to publish without Arkham House Printing's and Del Ray's consent, and if i took this project seriously enough i would hope to get it published by them... wishful thinking...

This is mostly a trial run, more for me [ and whoever else wants to dive into this ] to figure out if i really can do everything that i think; however, if it turns out well, you can never start too soon... Hopefully, my ego is not overinflated and with the help of some people here, along with this forum and its constituents, i can at very least compose something that appears to have its shite together.

And yes, Lovecraft died in 1937. After he died, August Derleth and Donald Wandrei [friends & fellow writers] tried to get some of his work published. After failing to find a single willing publisher, they started Arkham House and began to publish compilations of his work. H.P.L. led a sad life, and left a dark yet stunning trail of words when he left it.

So... Anyway... Fh'tagn, anyone?
    Last edited by Koopa Hunter D; February 19th, 2004 at 11:05 PM.
    "I couldn't be optimistic if I tried."
    ~Jake Brooks

Thanks
    Lovecraft's stuff passed into public domain long ago.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.