Sketchbook: Raptorbane's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Raptorbane's Sketchbook

So after a forever of thought I've decided to try being active or something on this website. I've got to say, from what I've seen so far it seems like this site is just -full- of amazing artists, and I have to admit it's a crushing blow to one such as myself to be amongst such talented people.

tl;dr I'm kind of nervous but I'm here to learn.

I'm mostly a digital artist for my bigger things, but I sometimes do anatomy or object studies in my sketchbook (I often don't upload them because the quality is substantially less-than-standard to me). I also tend to be a dirty rotten smudger and so I've taken a liking to drawing in pen, as a mistake is easier for me to touch up in Photoshop than an enormous smudge is. Uuuuh I also have a nasty tendency to draw in an almost-but-not-quite anime style due to some incredibly stupid ideas as a 13-year-old. I'm working on trying to leave it behind for a more cartoony style, so any hints or tips on that would be -very- appreciated.

Blah blah blah, here are some pictures, blah bleh bleh blah.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by Raptorbane; April 29th, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: An enormous what? [Dick joke]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    I like you dragons concept a lot ! good job. I understand how you feel trust me lol

Wow, get the hell out of here. Your stuff is shit. This is the biggest crap pile i've seen in a while. Why did you have to waste space on your junk. You should be nervous because you stuff does suck

got ya lol I am just messin with you. I like some of your stuff. I will say that anime is frowned upon here! for the most part anyways but am sure you will be fine. And welcome to CA.org glad to have you here. So...yea...

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    Wow, get the hell out of here. Your stuff is shit. This is the biggest crap pile i've seen in a while. Why did you have to waste space on your junk. You should be nervous because you stuff does suck

got ya lol I am just messin with you. I like some of your stuff. I will say that anime is frowned upon here! for the most part anyways but am sure you will be fine. And welcome to CA.org glad to have you here. So...yea...
    That didn't even worry me in the slightest :T I SAW IT COMING.

C: Thanks, I am well aware of just quite how much anime is frowned upon in just about any real serious art community (and colleges, and jobs, and dear lord if it's in a portfolio...), but I am trying to work my way out of it! It was a lot worse a few months ago :/

Quote Originally Posted by bubblesaw View Post
    I like you dragons concept a lot ! good job. I understand how you feel trust me lol
    Thanks! The nervousness went away like 20 minutes after hitting post though, heh.

I will definitely say that there is nothing nearly anime-ish about this pure cartooning to me! I love it you definitely know what you're doing, and your art is very stylized.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinito View Post
    I will definitely say that there is nothing nearly anime-ish about this pure cartooning to me! I love it you definitely know what you're doing, and your art is very stylized.
    lol did you even look at her work....? lol.....nothing anime about it......lol....

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Heh, thanks, but it's definitely got anime in it. Though it's most prominent in my human characters, I'm getting better at stylizing animals into cartoons, and I'm trying to work that into my people as well. It's just difficult because to me facial structure on people is hard to tamper with, it's always been so... set in stone, y'know?

I guess making smalelr eyes,a square chin and wirking on the nose would help alot then

Hey, nice stuff!
    If you have troubles with the facial structure i'd advice checking out Loomis' Drawing the head and hands. It should be downloadable (legally) in pdf format.
    Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by bubblesaw View Post
    I guess making smalelr eyes,a square chin and wirking on the nose would help alot then
    I'll try that out in some scribbles later today :3 Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Hey, nice stuff!
    If you have troubles with the facial structure i'd advice checking out Loomis' Drawing the head and hands. It should be downloadable (legally) in pdf format.
    Keep it up!
    Neat, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

12. I can tell you were influenced by anime but you added alot of your own style in the images as well.And its good to different styles that you can mix and match with. And I love the colors and style on your top colored dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyswirl View Post
    I can tell you were influenced by anime but you added alot of your own style in the images as well.And its good to different styles that you can mix and match with. And I love the colors and style on your top colored dragons.
    Thanks! Though I guess I should have mentioned somewhere that the second image in the list is actually a Clefthoof, from World of Warcraft. :T It was a hair test / fun image I did during a live stream.

These top 3 were actually drawn a little while ago, but I still love them plenty. These are probably the most detailed backgrounds I've ever drawn. The rest of them are either sketches of my / friends' WoW characters, various WoW NPCs or just whatever came to mind that day. The one with the Pokemon is actually a commission I got a short while ago. I like it c:>

Edit: Plopped Pen Dragon onto the bottom.

Last edited by Raptorbane; April 29th, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added Pen Dragon drawing.

*flails* Man, you're gonna be suuuuuch a great artist at my age *+* I won't even compare!

*flails* Man, you're gonna be suuuuuch a great artist at my age *+* I won't even compare!
    Haha, weeeeeell, I dunnooooo... That depends, how old are you? 'Cause if you're only like... 18, that's a few months away from me right now, heh ( but if you're like 25+ then yea I hope so :V! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorbane View Post
    Haha, weeeeeell, I dunnooooo... That depends, how old are you? 'Cause if you're only like... 18, that's a few months away from me right now, heh ( but if you're like 25+ then yea I hope so :V! ).
    I'm 19 haha. You still have 1 year and few months to catch up to me

the more art has style, the more 'attractive' it will be to the public. That's what I keep in mind myself...I study proportion and fine arts, sure, but I'd be nowhere without my current art style. :C know what I mean? *sighs, sakimichan from DA is AMAZIIING*

OH AND I WANNA SEE MOAR ARTS IN HEREEE!! 8D

I'm 19 haha. You still have 1 year and few months to catch up to me

the more art has style, the more 'attractive' it will be to the public. That's what I keep in mind myself...I study proportion and fine arts, sure, but I'd be nowhere without my current art style. :C know what I mean? *sighs, sakimichan from DA is AMAZIIING*

OH AND I WANNA SEE MOAR ARTS IN HEREEE!! 8D
    Abfkshlks. I posted like everything I've got that isn't a commission or a really old drawing from like 2+ years ago D: Most of my commissions come from furries as well, sooooooo... yeeeeeeeeeeea...

awesome dragon designs! i think your style is very clean and fun! i hope to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by fluro-K View Post
    awesome dragon designs! i think your style is very clean and fun! i hope to see more!
    Thanks! I should have more pen drawings scanned in for maybe tomorrow, depends on if I wake up on time to not pay attention in my first few classes or not. :T

If I am the future of this world, maaaan the future looks grim, lol.

Last edited by Raptorbane; April 30th, 2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: speaking good not am i

Only one drawing to add this time, though it's a sequence of 4. The second one is kind of sloppy because I wasn't paying attention :T Drew 'em all while watching a movie.

Edit: Posted in the sketches for a commission. I'm so busy D: I need more time for me art or I'm gonna fall into a block, dammit! I had a mini-one earlier today and it sucked because I still have so much work to dooooooooooo~

Last edited by Raptorbane; May 4th, 2010 at 01:06 AM.

I haven't really been in the mood to draw lately... Been kind of occupied with school stuff and my great grandmother died on the 7th, so... Yep. Thaaaaaaat sucks.

I have, however, been able to choke out a few sketches here and there. None of my paper work is scanned yet but I've got a (yea just one) SAI doodle here of Mal'keer.

Edit: I drew a lot of pokemon today. I was just doin' some random requests in my live stream and as it turns out I had a ton of pokemon lovers tonight 8| Though I also finally got to draw my Deep Sea Dragon, too. I finished up that Mal'keer sketch as well.

Last edited by Raptorbane; May 9th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Today I went on a magical adventure with my mother to an airport. On that magical adventure I defiled a new sketchbook with some doodles of a Hunter from Left 4 Dead. His arms are always either broken or disjointed in every image and so I have taken to calling him "Buster".

Edit: Oh yea, my last sketchbook had some Shinerai faces in it.

Last edited by Raptorbane; May 14th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

I think I'm getting better at this whole not drawing with a blatantly obvious animu style. These are two characters from a commission I got, unfinished. Probably gonna finish up the background tomorrow and then I can stop hiding it D:>

Man, your artwork is so much fun to look at

I'm tempted to request some 3D~

Man, your artwork is so much fun to look at

I'm tempted to request some 3D~
    ;; Like, 3D work from me? Haaaaaaaah... I'm no good at 3D stuff, drawing it -or- sculpting-type things. Like, it's -amazing- how bad I am the moment a 3rd dimension rolls around.

I'm gonna use this quote to update with the finished pic and a lineart my friend bought.

I've done a bunch of other work since a while ago too, but it's all furry crap for Nightfirer so I won't put it here. You can look at it on my deviantArt though, if you want.

Hurf de durf, it's been a while since I've posted something here (rather it FEELS like it's been a while, good enough for me) so here I have some sketchydumps and other various goober images that I slapped together over the past few days/weeks/hours (circle one).

Bird "studies" (I dunno, I just sort of drew some birds, does that count?) referenced using several images from the gewgle, some digimanz, a shepherd chasing a chicken, and a shiny rayquaza desktop background I whipped up for a friend.

Coming along nicely. You have some fun creatures in here. I have two suggestions for improvement.

1. Focus on your line quality. Be consistent with line weight. If you want a thicker outline make it the same weight all around. If you want a heavier weight on the shadow side of your forms make all of the shadow sides equally heavy/thick. If you want to emphasize the main arc in your contours then do it consistently throughout the drawing. These aren't rules that should never be broken but they're a great starting point for becoming really conscious of your line quality decisions.

2. Try to create instantly readable silhouettes. Try to imagine your character filled in with black and ask yourself whether you could still make out what you're looking at. What if the drawing were shrunk way down or viewed from a distance? Would it still be recognizable? Often times a slight rotation in the pose or moving a limb slightly away from the body can make a big difference.

Keep up the great work!

SKETCHBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Coming along nicely. You have some fun creatures in here. I have two suggestions for improvement.

1. Focus on your line quality. Be consistent with line weight. If you want a thicker outline make it the same weight all around. If you want a heavier weight on the shadow side of your forms make all of the shadow sides equally heavy/thick. If you want to emphasize the main arc in your contours then do it consistently throughout the drawing. These aren't rules that should never be broken but they're a great starting point for becoming really conscious of your line quality decisions.

2. Try to create instantly readable silhouettes. Try to imagine your character filled in with black and ask yourself whether you could still make out what you're looking at. What if the drawing were shrunk way down or viewed from a distance? Would it still be recognizable? Often times a slight rotation in the pose or moving a limb slightly away from the body can make a big difference.

Keep up the great work!
    :V! Thanks very much for this advice, I'll definitely try it all out! I think I need to get more used to scaling my brush down for smaller details / things in the distance. I'm so used to just picking a size and then going forth.

I forgot to post this too but I drew it last night as well (I think I might've drawn it after my post? I forget :B). It's another digimon, this time just a full picture of an Allomon. C: I love Allomon.

Edit: I did kind of what I guess is a line test, and I tried to keep all my lines roughly the same thickness. I was using a small brush to start (began at the face using 9px brush) and then as I went along I started using a thicker one (I think 16px on 3000x3000px canvas). I think I started doing best around the back legs :T

Last edited by Raptorbane; May 24th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Just a sketch dump from the car ride around town with my mom today. Did a lot of hands practice and there was a page of practicing some cartoony paws, but I didn't scan it because I got LAZY.

MORE WURK!

Been working on that whole I-want-to-have-a-more-cartoony-style thing pretty non-stop these past few days. :<! I think it's working.

The first image is just a monochrome pic of mah dragon Raptorbane, and the next is his human form all done on a single layer with no guide lines (it shows ;A;). I like it a lot though, because despite being a little wrong, I didn't feel nervous working with no guides for the first time since learning guides.

Edit: Oh... I also did this comic but it's kind of -enormous- so I don't want to upload it heeere ;A; It's on my photobucket so it should live forever... I hate it though, to be honest. I thought of it one day walking home from school and it was just /so stupid/ that I never wanted to think of it again, let alone draw it, but I couldn't get it out of my head. I told some people about it and they demanded I draw it. In fact, someone paid me to draw it. Like this. Without any inking or anything. ... I don't even know.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...thisanyway.png

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2