Is it hard to transfer to VCU in graphic design?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it hard to transfer to VCU in graphic design?

Hi everyone, Im an intl student in a california community college and i wll be transferring soon. just would like to know how hard it is to get into vcu since its graphic design program is # 4 in U.S. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VCU will take anyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u sure Burtzum? is it because those public schools are in some financial troubles lol?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VCU is a business like most any other college, the more people they turn away the less money they make. From what I saw while there, they didn't seem very picky. Hell, they took me. haha.

At worst they might make you take the foundational year (aka "AFO") but I knew some people who were able to skip that year due to having a decent portfolio, and go straight to the department of their choice. I didn't have a portfolio when I wanted to transfer over to art, I was a music student, so I did their assignments for people with no portfolio. It was just 5 pencil drawings on 8.5x11 printer paper. I got in, passed AFO in half a year instead of the full year and got into my department of choice. No sweat.

I don't mean to sound too cynical about their 'low standards'. It needs to be that way for other reasons really. An 18 year old kid fresh out of highschool probably won't have much artistic ability. At least not here in America. Some kids don't even get art classes in highschool. I didn't even have a clue what I wanted to study when I graduated highschool. If you've taken any graphic design classes in your community college, you'll probably have a leg up over everyone else.

I'd suggest visiting the school to see if you like it but I understand that might be tough for you since you're way over there in California. What I liked when I visited was that VCU is right in the center of things. Its not off in farmville and its not a commune style campus that you're trapped in. Richmond has a great art scene too. And living here is cheap!

Anyway, good luck where ever you end up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Burtzum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't speak for the graphic design department, but as for the Communication Arts (fancy way of saying "Illustration with a little graphic design") department, it's pretty easy to get in based on what I see from my peers. I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. They do, supposedly, turn away some people, but you must have to be pretty darn bad.

All that said, this isn't a bad school at all. There's some great teachers here, a few really good students, and Virginia is a gorgeous state to live in. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the big name art schools (especially for those fortunate enough to be in-state).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.