Digital Nude Figure Drawing (Update 5/4/10)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Nude Figure Drawing (Update 5/4/10)

UPDATE 5/4/10: The newest and latest one is the finished piece. Even if there are mistakes, I can't work on it anymore because no more time with the model. I would like to thank once again Quigleyer, Shinin and Osau for the crits along with Nezumi Works for helping me with CA

If you can please provide suggestions on what might be a good next project or how to go about making my next figure drawing piece even better.

================================================== ====

UPDATE 4/30/10: So I put in another 4 hours into the painting. I definitely tried to improve on what was said about my previous piece.

Again, I would like to get a second opinion since it gets harder to see mistakes when I work on something for a while.

================================================== =
    I need some help with my drawing. Mainly for two reasons:
    1. The proportions look a tad off to me and I would like a second opinion at least.
    2. I need some major help painting in photoshop. I think the blending could be better. So if someone could either help me or direct me to a tutorial then that would be awesome.

Please note this was done from a live model for about 4 hours. I'll definitely have more time with her later to improve the drawing.

Also, if I did anything wrong please let me know. This my first post on CA.
    ================================================== ==

Name:  online_ver1.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  193.6 KB
    Name:  online_ver2.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  177.4 KB
    Name:  online_ver3.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  201.4 KB

Last edited by jacen05; May 4th, 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Updated with new picture
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her head is really small and I'm having trouble figuring out the neck. The head is important because it is generally what we compare the lengths and widths of all forms of the body from (like nipples 1 head down etc.).

The arms look two very different lengths and I imagine one is supposed to be foreshortened(bent arm). I'd suggest you use basic forms (cylinders, in the case of the arms) to work through foreshortening issues. Also, make note of the width of the forms foreshortened, as often times width will imply the same size of forms, though one is shortened. As my eye sees it the bent arm is quite a bit thinner.

Next time try to work out the hidden leg a little more. It looks off. Just sit and observe. Take measurements and work your angles.

Value-wise she's super light. I think you could stand to put a multiply layer over the whole thing with 40-50% gray and begin building values (on a new, default layer) up from that, as you're whole image is pretty light in values.

Blending isn't something you should be concerned with for another session or so. No fine rendering can fix underlying issues. Work your structure, it's important.

Great exercise. Keep going.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much Quigleyer.

I will try my hardest to work on the structure more for the next session.

And thank you for the advice about the values. I did not think they were so bad until you mentioned them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The neck area is very obscured (I feel the same uncertainty like at the right leg. They aren't easy but you chose this gesture...), the left arm is way too long, the left feet is tiny (even her hand is bigger...). The thigh is somewhat tube-like, I can't really explain but look at some photos, a woman's thigh is shaped differently
    I'm not good with gestures I just can spot some anatomy flaws so the next part will be gessing, my feelings, take them with a grain of salt A sexy gesture, you achieved to show most of it despite the flaws. I like the nice organic feel of the torso but the head bothers me. It breaks that nice flow... If I try to imagine her spine, it seems it's not right, the head should be lower.... If she's resting on a pillow, she shouldn't bend her spine like she does... I think...

I always say this in Critique Center recently... I'd love to see a simplified underlying structure. Think about her skeleton... It could help a lot, flaws are easier to spot that way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated

quick question if anyone sees this, is it better to update first post or just post new picture in new post?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Typically in a new post. I think we're all smart enough to read the first post, but it is more convenient (I think) for it to be in a new post.

It's looking good so far. Her left foot looks far too short. Something is off about the face and the positioning of the eyes, I think. Also, here right leg doesn't seem too foreshortened, just extremely short. I don't rightly know how to ratify that, but it just seems off to me. Great start so far though, keep going with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Osau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jacen05 View Post
    updated

quick question if anyone sees this, is it better to update first post or just post new picture in new post?
    It seems to be personal preference. Some like it in the first post because then the thumbnail on the topic list reflects the current image, some like putting it in replies so you can see the progression of an image as it goes through changes. I personally like the latter, for that reason and because it's a hassle to go to the most recent reply then back up to see what the current pic looks like, but in the end it's up to you.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Osau: Thank you for the crit. I will definitely try hard at working the feet/legs (since that was an issue during the first time around.) And I know the face needs some work, but it gets kind of hard when the model moves so much >_< (still no excuses! must work harder!!)

@Nezumi Works: Thank you very much for the explanation. I will start posting in the most recent now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the previous posters

It looks a lot better in your newer rendition. Whatever you did to get the values to such a level- good job. Looking really good in the value department.

The ankle on the left foot (only visible ankle, really) looks a little far forward, but it might be, as mentioned before, the size of the foot that gives me that impression.

I'm also thinking her arm (bent one above her head) still looks a little short.

Hope that helps. This is looking much better than your previous version- finish it out strong!

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final version (total time ~14 hours):
    Name:  online_ver3.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  201.4 KB

If you can, please provide suggestions on what might be a good next project or how to go about making my next figure drawing piece even better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.