self portrait help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: self portrait help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp self portrait help?

I've been stuck at this stage for a while now. I rarely end up getting more detailed than this, and I tried experimenting with texture and I believe I've failed in that also. I'm also really questioning the background and its space... Anyways, it doesn't look done at all, but the pace has gotten so slow that I feel like I just want to move on; well, any input is appreciated!

Name:  self face tank copter robot man2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  86.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can probably smooth out some of the value transitions on the face using the blur tool. Most people say it is better than the smudge tool for that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always use a softer brush with lower flow and lots of color picker to smooth things out (you can bind the color picker to the little button on your stylus, makes things so much more easier).

Then, with your other hand on the keyboard...you can hit D and X (default black and white and x to switch it between the 2) to go back and forth with value painting in addition to color picking. (So if you want to bring it darker, you can just hit D and lightly stroke to bring it a little darker and then color pick that darker value you just made).

I would say just zoom in and start trying to smooth out and render out the portrait more (I would use a hard brush, not a soft brush at your stage... you will have a lot easier time with edges if you stay away from overusing the softer settings). Don't worry about texture yet... just work on rendering out the face with more detail and refining value / proportions.

It's the type of thing where you just have to keep doing it to get better at it. There is no real trick (other than a good layout sketch at the start to get the placement of features and things like that). You should be able to do it with just a hard round brush, don't fall into the trap of thinking you need "better brushes". Yea, brushes are nice later on... but you need to have the foundation drawing before you start adding that on top (remember, gotta work big to small. Fine detail comes way after the rendering of features and placement).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess truthfully, I'm a little afraid of trying to smooth out values because I feel like stuff usually ends up looking dead whenever I go farther than this. But I'll go back and try it out - thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't *have* to smooth things out. Just get the values right, they'll work fine. If the values are wrong, no smoothing will help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Books: Art & Fear by Bayles & Orland
    The Courage to Create by Rollo May

I keep saying this here, do 50 more of these and see what happens. It's not so much what someone else can tell you about your work and how to do something as much as it is you learning first hand from your own experience and training your hand and eye by doing more and more work and not quitting. It's what separates the warriors from the worriers.

keep it up brother
    ~MW

10. The Following User Says Thank You to markwagner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like you're alittle too concerned with how you're doing it, instead of what you're seeing. when you're drawing be sure to follow the actual forms, and take notice of the structure of what you're drawing. there's a flow in everything, a direction in the surface.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jrr For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.