Need critique on an illustration!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello!

Here is a book illustration I am dooing for a client.He likes it,but I feel that there is a lot more to improve.I feel that there is something wonky about the character,mostly the face.Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

DSmith

Attached Images Attached Images  
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!!!

Wonkiness may come from different little details... mainly issues with anatomy and structure.
    Grab a book about anatomy for artists and attend some live drawing sessions (or start by drawing people around you). You'll turn pro in no time!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to banuo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It seems you're lacking quite a bit of basic anatomy knowledge. The rough stuff is there, the general shapes, but there are so many elements in this illustration that appear to have been "guessed", both shape and proportion wise. For example, the nose is enormous, the eyes are not in sockets, the mouth is very flat, the neck muscles are random, the biceps is making up the entire upper arm, I'm not seeing really seeing wrists either. His crotch seems to be rather high up and his jeans rather low. Most of these mistakes can be fixed by studying.

Study and use references, Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing book will really do you good (though there are plenty of other books on human anatomy that are also very useful). The more you learn, the less you will have to guess and the less your pictures will look off. I really can't press enough how important it is that you use reference, it's so easy to find all over the internet. Why guess if you can be sure? Live drawing class as suggested above is also a great way to get a good grasp on human anatomy (though not always available for everyone).

Colour and light are also an issue in the sense that they're rather inconsistent. The character appears to be lit from his left, by the blue thing in the background. Yet your linework and shading is darkest there. Your character's body is lit from the viewer's side, yet it suddenly stops at the belt and his jeans are covered in shadow for no particular reason.

All in all you have to really consider how to draw and paint your picture so that it makes sense. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm really trying to help you. Now I'm not exactly an expert on human anatomy, but I tried to redline your picture a bit, hope it helps.

Last edited by Lhune; April 24th, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replies,banuo and Lhune!

Thanks for the paintover,Lhune!
    Unfortunately,I don't have time to fix all of the body,but I will correct as many stuff as possible(I have 1-2 hours before I have to send it to the client)!
    One thing I don't want to change is the height because he is a short guy,so the 8-heads formula doesn't apply here.
    I can only blame myself for not doing some basic troubleshooting on the sketch,and now I don't have time to finish stuff.I learnt anatomy for quite a long time,but I made the mistake of thinking that it is not too important in this bit cartoony style...
    Okay,I will stop mumbling and get to correct as much things as possible.

And people,please BE harsh,that is the most helpful way!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.