Thanks

Pain while sitting

I feel that i am starting to develop some not so good health issues.

While drawing, especially during the first few hours of the morning, my neck feels very tense and there is mild pain as well. My back hurts every now and then, often when i am twisting in my chair to pick up something sudden pain flairs up. My left elbow feels sore and my wrists are often tense as hell as well ._.

I spend a lot of time seated but i exercise regularly(running). I only sleep for 5 hours every night but i really hope that sleep is not related to the problems because i don't want to cut down on my drawing time.

Now those are certainly some big bad signs so i really have to do something about this ASAP. I am going to see a doctor but i would really like to hear if anyone else has or have had similiar problems and how they dealt with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by citrusfrukt View Post
    I feel that i am starting to develop some not so good health issues.

While drawing, especially during the first few hours of the morning, my neck feels very tense and there is mild pain as well. My back hurts every now and then, often when i am twisting in my chair to pick up something sudden pain flairs up. My left elbow feels sore and my wrists are often tense as hell as well ._.

I spend a lot of time seated but i exercise regularly(running). I only sleep for 5 hours every night but i really hope that sleep is not related to the problems because i don't want to cut down on my drawing time.

Now those are certainly some big bad signs so i really have to do something about this ASAP. I am going to see a doctor but i would really like to hear if anyone else has or have had similiar problems and how they dealt with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Well clearly you have some ergonomic issues to address. I have my own system but I'll let others chime in on that point.

I'd like to address your 5 hours of sleep.. Now I'm not trying to be all preachy and god knows I pulled my shares of consecutive all nighters at Art Center.. but I implore you to re-think your sleep schedule. For millions of years the human body evolved to sleep all night in darkness for at least 8 hours. Lack proper sleep accelerates aging, creates increased cortisol levels and adrenal fatigue, causes assorted forms of metabolic damage such as raised insulin resistance, lowered growth hormone and testosterone, raised body inflammation and C-reactive protein levels, increased blood pressure and promotion of arterial plaque formation, reduced clarity of thought and creativity, slower reaction times, impaired immune system, increased risk of getting in a serious accident etc - and that's just off the top of my head.

Seriously.. sleep and and sleep often. Your body and mind will thank you for it. You may think you want to stay up late drawing or playing games or whatever, but your body is being harmed by such a limited amount of sleep even if you think "I'm young and I feel fine I don't need it" you are wrong - your body does need it for maximum health.
    Last edited by DamnDirtyApe; April 24th, 2010 at 03:36 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DamnDirtyApe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't really think i can sleep much more than that and still feel good about myself though. One thing that most succesful artists seem to have in common is that they don't sleep much, because obviously you have to draw a LOT in order to get anywhere and cutting sleep in order to draw more only seems obvious.

I don't know if it's connected to sleep though. The problems mentioned above have been present only for a few weeks and i have been sleeping very little for many years now. Although earlier it was due to me being an addict to computer games.

Thanks
    Um, yeah, 5 hours regularly is not good and you may regret it later in life (my dad does).

Thanks
    i had the same problem, now i stand for painting....much better

Thanks
    Sleep more....you are 19 .... sleep more.... o.O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    I don't really think i can sleep much more than that and still feel good about myself though. One thing that most succesful artists seem to have in common is that they don't sleep much, because obviously you have to draw a LOT in order to get anywhere and cutting sleep in order to draw more only seems obvious.

I don't know if it's connected to sleep though. The problems mentioned above have been present only for a few weeks and i have been sleeping very little for many years now. Although earlier it was due to me being an addict to computer games.

Look at it this way: If you cut down on sleep too much, you'll become constantly tired and exhausted, causing you to work less efficiently. It's already causing physical pain by the sound of things, which I'm sure distracts you from your full drawing potential frequently. In the long run cutting down on too much sleep is counter-productive, you'll be a lot better off if you get enough sleep (maybe one or two nights you can cut back to 5 hours, but not every night).

It's admirable that you're trying to give up sleep to improve but you really need to look after yourself.

Thanks
    Seriously, sleep is your friend. Try spending 15mins each morning recalling your dreams, it will help your imagination and image recall, plus you might learn to lucid dream.

Thanks
    People who canít find time to sleep enough underestimate its importance. Come on now, Iím sure your could find time for a couple more hours sleep with out having to scarifies to much time from your drawing. Itís all about managing your time. Even with busy lives other people manage it, Iím sure you could figure it out to.

Not that the pain is necessarily to do with not having enough sleep. If youíre stiff on a morning it might be due to how youíre sleeping. Maybe you sleep in weird positions or your mattress might be something to look at.

Thanks
    I had the same problem. What helped me was more exercise. Not only cardio (running), but more strength training. Donīt overdo it, especially if you start with weights like me. And use great technique to avoid injury obviously. But doing some strength training will help your muscles endure more of the hardships we push our bodies into on a daily basis. it has done me wonders! It might help you, and others too. But, like art, it too takes persistence and determination.
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hive_minD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sleep helps you process and absorb what you have learnt through the day! By not sleeping enough, you aren't able to get the full benefit of the work you are doing... you might be drawing more, but that extra drawing time isn't doing much because your not giving yourself the needed amount of sleep to absorb it.

It's like bodybuilders. They need sleep also, or their efforts aren't able to have the maximum effect. That's also why they don't work every muscle every day. The value of rest is more than "just to feel good".

Life isn't just about "work harder"....it's about "work smarter".

Thanks
    Wow, thanks for the input you guys!

Judging from the input i should probably simply try to sleep more and see what happens. Weird thing though, whenever i oversleep or something so i simply sleep 'til i wake up by myself i am always fucktired for a few hours. I'll try with 6 or maybe 7 and see what happens.

I like the idea of trying to recall my dreams every morning, would be awesome to have a lucid dream.

Strengh training might be an idea although it is the most boring thing ever, running is awesome though. I am completely weaksauce though so i definately need to do it.

Thanks
    I like the idea of trying to recall my dreams every morning, would be awesome to have a lucid dream.
    It's pretty tough to remember much of your dreams when you first start, but the more you do it the easier it gets. It gets to the stage where you think you remember a scenario moments after waking, and realize that it was a dream you had 2 weeks ago.

Eventually you'll notice re-occuring patterns in your dreams, and in time, you'll notice them while your dreaming and go "Heeeyyy... waaaiit a seconnnd", then you will taste true freedom, if you can manage to stay asleep (it's tough to stay asleep the first few times you realize you're dreaming ).

Have fun
    Last edited by karma militia; April 26th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks
    One thing that most succesful artists seem to have in common is that they don't sleep much, because obviously you have to draw a LOT in order to get anywhere and cutting sleep in order to draw more only seems obvious.
    [citation needed]