Art: Please help pleeeaaaazzzzz

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Please help pleeeaaaazzzzz

Would anyone recommend Otis College of Art and Design for learning Entertainment Design and Concept Art?

or Art Center College of Design (which seems SO much better)

because I am currently at The Art Institute of Los Angeles under the wrong major at the wrong school..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art Center is probably your best bet - they are certainly the dominant school when it comes to Industrial Design. Not sure what Otis' program might be like.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know if you have visited either, but when you do it becomes really clear really fast which is the better school. But despite that, OTIS's curriculum, i thought, was very limited. But thats when i visited 2 years ago. It didn't seem like they let you move around as much as you'd like. There was no specific major that seemed geared toward entertainment illustration.

Art Center on the other hand has an entire Entertainment Illustration program.. which is amazing. A close friend of mine just graduated from there several years ago and he's worked on a number of video games since, in the art department of course, and is now going to be the art director for the company hes working for. He like 24 i think? and is already at an amazing level. He contributes all of that to Art Center.

hope that helped alittle. You best bet though, ofcourse is to visit each and decide for yourself. If you do make sure you ask them where their graduates are now. They have lists showing what most of the graduates are doing. That usualy helps a bunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's also the Academy of Art in San Francisco

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know much about Otis, but I would highly recommend Art Center. I just finished the first year of Entertainment Design here at Art Center. I've tried different schools before, but nothing compares to this program. I've learned more here than I ever did anywhere else. It's nonstop work lol.

The first year is geared towards a strong foundation of industrial design. Meaning, they put you through a rigorous schedule of a lot of 3D building (actually creating stuff). At first I thought it was pointless, but after completing I realized how much I benefited from all those classes.

If you're looking for a program that will teach you to do pretty paintings right away, this isn't it. The main focus is design, not illustration.

That being said, and this goes to anyone considering ACCD Entertainment Design, only apply if you're serious about learning this material. Art Center is known to give you a crap ton of work that leaves no room for play time. You'll be doing work just about every minute you're awake, assuming you want anything better than a C. Expect to get 4 hours of sleep on average. The lucky ones get 6 hours.

Also, Entertainment Design and Entertainment Arts (Illustration) are two different majors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just throwing it out there so he can explore the fields further

"It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really had a fun time at Savannah College of Art and Design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all so much for your input.. I really would like to attend Art Center.. but that school has no housing or dormitories. I am from out of state and have no family or friends out here in California (I am currently at The Art Institute of Los Angeles)

Lol, Anyone that lives in Pasadena looking for a 18 y/o Korean-American roommate? I got a steady income =D

Members who have read this thread: 1