aztec warrior wip

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

aztec warrior wip

i'm not sure about the color comp, its looking very monochromatic. any ideas wat i shud do. its still wip.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by orangus; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your feet don't appear to go along with the perspective of the floor. He's not actually standing on the ground, though I imagine his heels are hitting the floor correctly.

Look: your horizon line is way up there. In order to get the "front view/side" from the feet you'd need to have your horizon very low, so that everything appears above us or the lower things (such as feet) appear almost parallel to us. I also don't think his legs could comfortably do that giving the position of his upper body.

Example of how feet work with a horizon such as yours: http://www.characterdesigns.com/band...et_023_044.jpg

Your character feels really stiff. I attribute a good amount of this to the "constantly flexing look" Though you seem to have a general knowledge of what muscles look like and where they go, there are still pretty noticeable anatomy mistakes. I don't want to sit here and bullet point or anything, but if you'd like I will.

I just remembered I have some references for insanely muscled people, might be NSFW(or might just look weird to be going through):

http://classicbodybuilders.com/class...builders1.html

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks mate. I see wat ur saying about the horizon line. Do feel free to point out anatomy errors. I havent used any reference for this, maybe I will to check wats off.
    on second thots he does look a bit stiff, lets see wat i can do.

tx for the links..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm thinking something like this wud be a better pose.. suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are very several people who are better like me but I can't resist... I have some knowledge to tear apart pictures like this but I couldn't draw a decent one, for your information. Still, I hope I can help.

The proportions are off, his pelvis area seems to be very tiny (I don't know where would you put his crotch line but probably you wouldn't make his thighs extremely short).
    Try to draw his simplified skeleton or look up the ideal proportions in Loomis's book or something. It's better if your first sketch isn't the final dressed figure...
    The kneecap and the foot should have the same direction.
    His left hand is very undefined and awkward in the original pic and clashes with the position of the muscles of the left arm... (the brachioradialis inserts on the wrong place). And it seems there are no left wrist, the fingers starts too suddenly. The right hand and arm way better, the hand gesture is very clear - I think the elbow isn't quite right.
    His abs and legs are very, very far from realism, they are very stylized stuff carved in wood to me. I mean no harm but it was my impression. (This "carved look" stylization can be cool but the picture should be consistent and it would require a very good foundation in anatomy)

You seemingly have some anatomy knowledge but you need some more... It's really not the proper time for worrying about colors. There are more basic steps. No matter how would you polish him, if the basics are wrong, it can't become a good picture.

It seems you go in a better direction with the new pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

aztec wip

thanx for the feedback. So i decided to make the pose more dynamic, and crosschecked anatomy. Before i go into more detail with the character i was hoping for some feedback on his overall gesture.. still not sure about the anatomy of the left forearm and leftupperarm..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... You're a brave man choosing a harder pose... and it looks way more promising than the previous ones
    I still think his pelvis is weird, his legs start too high.
    And I can't read the left arm and his right leg isn't clear either...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.