Sketchbook: A sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: A sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A sketchbook

Hello, ConceptArt.
    I've always thought drawing is fun, but I've always had problems with motivating myself enough to progress, too. About five years ago, the stage of "doodle-doodle, check this out, my talent is absolutely earth-shattering" ended and since that time I've hardly drawn anything. I couldn't force myself to spend more than 15mins wrestling with a pencil, sketching something hopelessly from my head and raging at the outcome.

Recently I've found out that there are more reasonable ways to improve, other than browsing animu on deviantART. My final exams are getting closer too, so I need some excuses not to study.

The only thing I've been drawing all that time are quasi-animu females, with unsymmetrical faces and mostly naked, so I wouldn't have to bother myself with clothes and folds.
    I decided to start doing something less awkward, so let's begin with the first landscape in my entire life, referenced from a photo I've found on the interwebs.
    EDIT: Landscape moved to the next post for more awesome thumb.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by soletaken; April 25th, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: changing the thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some random poses from posemaniacs I've drawn today. The green thing is the only finished picture I could find on my hdd - my last attempt of "how to anatomy", from one year ago.

Last edited by soletaken; April 25th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awsome start for you sketchbook
    really interesting style on your last one
    wana see more like that
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA: Thank you! Now when I think about it, a green body with exploding head could be quite an interesting character. Need to draw it again.

~~
    Here are some more posemaniacs, a red kettle and hm... a tiger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Landscape day. I can't get the colours, way beyond my understanding.
    Also, plants |: I'm going to draw trees and bushes now, until they start making sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some posemaniacs, a sketch I've tried to dress up eleven times (for some reason I decided to make it a valkyrie, but every outfit concept looked like a low-budget costume for Wagner's opera), and a wip character concept of a beast misstress (pose referenced), and a bad photo of skulls I've drawn a couple of days ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice enviros - the colourss look pretty good to me. That skull looks really cool. Let's see some values!

My Site
    Please comment on my sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have very cool sketches! I like your environments (and the tiger) most.
    And, to make this a reply to your message in my thread:
    I did adjust brightness/contrast, but it never looks quite as good as the original.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Benjy: Thanks! I feel like they are too saturated for some reason. Dunno. And dem values, it's all about the colours again. My eyes seem to miss 60% of the shades. Hopefully it will improve with time and exercises.

Timaz: Thanks! (: Yeah, that's true, you can never get it right. At least some people have scanners, and I'm doomed with a camera in my mobile. Not going to upload too many non-digital because of that |:

~~
    Every day is an update day. Here are some horses pulling things, because the last time I've drawn a horse was when I was 8, and it looked like something between a hippo and a table. And a bird, I guess it's some kind of a duck. I've sketched another awful landscape, a beach this time, and had to try out a couple of fancy brushes for the stones.

In order to try painting digitally, not just producing candy-coloured enviroments and animals, I've started a master study of William Meritt Chase's Portrait of Louis Betts. The results:
    - colours, I can't see them;
    - proportions, I mess them up without even noticing;
    - colours, I can't see them.
    Also, the eye C: It was misplaced the whole time, then I tried to copy the absolutely unbeliveable variety of shades all around it, then I decided to start it over when I'm finishing this. So here's heart-eyed Louis Betts. He doesn't have his glasses on yet, so he can't see very well anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman, 60sec posemaniacs (oh how I fail), a guy and the duck, finished.
    How to scan things when I don't have a scanner... I guess I need to find out the best way to photograph stuff.
    Another thing is that I don't have a sketchobook that I would be able to carry around, only a huge A4 thing without a real cover. It's not very handy, to be honest. I live in a small town and the shops around aren't well supplied. Maybe I should order something moleskine-like online. The problem is that every notebook with blank pages is considered a 'sketchbook', and the price suddenly raises five times. And I'm broke, because I've bought the whole Song of Ice and Fire.
    [/rant]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your sketchy style with bright colors.Plus you have some great 60 sec poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jellyswirl: Thanks!

~~
    Every day is the update day. I've bought myself a simple notebook with blank pages. It's rainbow cover looks like it's going to glow in the dark, and it also features an awkward guy wearing glasses and holding a guitar. A caption says 'Pick up the music'. In short words - it's absolutely terryfying and terrible, and my eyes hurt.
    Not the biggest post because I still can't scan anything. And I was thinking about something completely unrelated when doing posemaniacs, so you can notice that most of them don't look like people at all.

I tried to sketch things from imagination today - I am helplessly uncreative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, why can't I see any images?? soletaken: maybe you want to use an image hoster nx time? then there wont be such problem

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.