Character Clara.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Clara.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Character Clara.

Now that I've got that whole architecture piece off my back, I can concentrate on characters again. I've just finished rendering this character of mine, Clara. I needed to do a costume change for her, the previous clothing (http://bladnoched.deviantart.com/art...aith-139915223) wasn't very convenient for her in action (she's a main character in some future plot) and wasn't convenient for me to draw.

Could you critique on general anything and everything that you spot please? I've given this piece a good once over, but it's always great to have a second pair of eyes.

New Version:
    Name:  CA Clara 2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  135.2 KB
    Old version:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/fnv8yt.png

Last edited by Spikings; April 23rd, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it just me or is there a thumb on the wrong side of her lower hand?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not you. I see it also.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It does appear to be on the wrong side.

The top of the body and the bottom of the body don't really go along with each other. The center line of the upper body gives the impression that the hips will be turned as well, but then we see the bottom half of her body (waist to toes) look almost head on. The feet turn in exact opposite directions, and don't really take in to account the positioning of legs or upper body.

What I'm saying is that the different sections of the body don't seem to be working out. You might be interested in trying to reference some drawings in the future and pay very close attention to angles and proportions as you do it. It might take a little longer but would be worth it in the long run.

Her facial features are a little masculine and her lip hangs down really far on one side. I can't figure out the expression you're trying to give her here. I'm also having a hard time telling if the eyes are black or she has really small eyes and a lot of eye make-up on.

Her hands look a little large, adding to the masculine vibe.

I Think she needs a shadow to ground her, or some sort of reflection on the floor to show she's standing there, etc.

It looks like you were going for Joe Mad feet, but they got a little large and are getting to be more clown in appearance. Try to imagine her walking in those boots.

Hope that helps!

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the advice, you in particular Quigleyer have helped me realise a lot of problems. I have a strong impulse to start from scratch with this drawing and see if I can make the anatomy foundations a lot more solid than they are now. I don't want any of you to think your critique is wasted though, I'll be taking it all into account on my next drawing.

Just to confirm a few things - she does indeed have black eyes, it's a part of her story so it's not one of those "just so they look cool" moments. I'm also trying to find a balance on her facial features too; I don't want her to look ultra feminine as her background hasn't allowed this. I'd rather she looks fairly ordinary but takes care of her appearance enough that she doesn't look masculine or grubby. It's a really hard balance to get, but it would help you to see where I'm going with this.

I'll put in a new sketch tonight of Clara.
    ==============================
    Here we are, it's an anatomy sketch for now - best to take it slow, especially if I'm in need of anatomy improvement. I came across a couple of studies on DA that really helped me out. Before I go on, can you point out any problems?
    I'm terrible with hands by the way. It's something I really need to look into, as I can't seem to grasp their concept very well at all, and I've been struggling with them for nearly a year now.

Views: 218
Size:  135.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    she looks a tad too masculine tho. I dont know if thats how u want her to look, but u cud try reducing her shoulder size in relation to her hip, tht shud make her feminine looking instantly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I look at her, the weighting seems to be off. She is leaning on her right hip viewer, but the wight looks evenly dispersed on the legs, which is awkward looking. Her whole body would lean more to the right, and her legs would also have some lean to them.

It's definitely an improvement. Keep going, gotten some solid advice from people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. Half an hour of tweaking later and I got this:

Views: 171
Size:  137.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're using a rather poor "mannikin" for constructing your figure. That likely accounts for half your problems. It's just not approximating the human figure too well - its parts connect in the wrong way, so it bends in a wrong way.

I decided to redline it to show how to construct a more flexible "mannikin", but got carried away and spent two hours on it.

So let's say I am feeling generous, here's a demo using a similar pose and annotating some of your "mannikin"'s problems.

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arenhaus, you're amazing. I'm so astounded you took two hours out of your day to help me improve, I can't thank you enough. I can tell you've studied anatomy greatly (unlike myself) so your notes are pretty invaluable.

I'm not going to tempt myself to take the bad route of copying over your mannikin, so I'll be stripping mine from head to toe and using your diagrams for reference. I'm just stating the obvious because it'll probably be a while before I update this - getting anatomy right is going to take a long while, and I intend to be as good as you at it, knowing the bone structure, what connects where, why and how it affects the rest of the body.
    I can see some of my mistakes now, and more will come apperent as I go along. Just before I get going, what do you mean by 'formulaic'? I tried checking the dictionary, but without sounding stupid, dictionaries sometimes have a knack to complicate the definition just as much as the word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck with your endeavor! It's much the matter of method, really. The muscle and bone mannikin I sketched might help.

"Formulaic" here means that you've put down a scribble instead of indicating volume. Drawing little circles for toes instead of thinking of what direction they are pointing at and what volume they occupy, for instance.

Everything has a volume, no matter how small. You complain that you can't get the hands right - well, break each hand down into basic volumes first, just don't try to rely on hunches, at least at this stage. Construct the volume, instead.

That'll help you to develop more correct hunches you could use later for speed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's my response image - I knew it would be really difficult, but it's never quite so obviously difficult until you begin to learn it for the first time.
    I'm having that problem where I can sense parts which are wrong, like the shoulders, her left hand and feet, but I don't really know how to solve them. Any feedback would be brilliant. Again, thanks to Arenhaus for the muscle paintovers.

Views: 103
Size:  229.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't imitate a schematic as I drew it; build up a structure as you understand it.

Try constructing the same pose from a different angle; that'll free you from following my schematic. You have to understand *why* particular structures were chosen, not just duplicate them stereotypically.

Alternately, as an exercise, take an anatomy manual and a photograph (preferably turnaround set, like Virtual Pose) and figure out the exact placement of its bones and muscles in a drawing. The picture will be there for you; you'll just have to figure out the structure and form. After doing a dozen of those, you'll get some hang of what is structurally important.

Sheppard's "Drawing the Living Figure" is a good resource for this sort of work, full of examples of figure drawings resolved into anatomy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.