Thread: Windemere Ranch

Thanks

Question Windemere Ranch

Last Saturday I was visiting friends in King City located in Monterey County CA. I heard the ranch known to everyone as Doc Bar Ranch (Double J Ranch) in Paicines had about 57 quarter horses for sale. Doc Bar was probably the most influential Quarter Horse Stallion in history he revolutionized the cutting horse industry by siring some of the best Cutting Horses in the world. Born in the spring of 1956 and died on July 20, 1992, at the age of 36, Doc Bar sired 485 foals of which approximately 390 were performance horses earning more than $3,213,000 with the National Cutting Horse Association. In his time he was the leading sire of AQHA Champions, NCHA Champions, and Arena ROMs (register of merit); he was inducted into the AQHA Hall of Fame in 1993, a year after his death. For more information about Doc Bar go to the following web site: http://www.aqha.com/foundation/hallo.../Doc%20Bar.pdf

We decided to go on out to the ranch and see what they had, naturally I was excited to see the ranch where Doc Bar had lived. The ranch was a gorgeous spread covering 660 acres on both sides of the road with luscious green pastures sprinkled here and there with horses of all colors that looked beautiful, until we got closer to them.

The mares that were in foal in the pasture across the road looked good weight wise but their feet were so long a few of them had trouble walking. The yearlings, 2 and 3 year olds were in pretty bad shape; most were so thin it hurt to look at them and all their feet were horribly long. These horses were neglected plain and simple not only physically but also mentally. They were in a wild state – having never been handled and very frightened of people, most weren’t even halter broke which is very simple to do, usually when they are just foals. I saw a 3 year old filly that had a huge growth on her back and her left hind leg was deformed, she couldn’t walk but kind of hopped and drug her useless leg behind her I can’t imagine the pain she was in; later I was told she was born like that, so for 3 years she had been in constant pain; she should have been put down. There were 3 or 4 other fillies with giant hernias on their bellies, lots of horses were club footed, some were stunted, and others had large open sores. Horses don’t get this bad over night it takes a long time; the babies probably started getting thin when they were weaned off their dams at 6 months old, the grass was gone for the winter and no hay for them to eat! These poor horses are being sent to auction on May 1, 2010; unfortunately, probably no one but the killer buyers will bid on them. Never to know the loving touch of a human these horses lives will most likely end horribly in a slaughterhouse.

The Doc Bar Ranch was purchased in 2001 by a world-renowned artist and shortly after began breeding quarter horses, why I don’t know. The amazing stallion Doc Bar lived, died, and is buried there but sadly no one is able to visit his grave, the marker has been pulled up leaving no trace of the great horse on the property now known as Windemere.
    Last edited by cacowgirl; April 30th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It never ceases to amaze me when people who claim to be “devout Christians” are so cruel to God’s creatures under their care. Didn’t God appoint us as caregivers to all his creatures, to be kind to them, to provide for them by giving them shelter, feeding them, and caring for their injuries when needed? These people who have knowingly made innocent creatures suffer, will have to answer for their sins. I hope God is kinder to them.

"In their eyes shine stars of wisdom and courage to guide men to the heavens."
    Jodie Mitchell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    OK, this is a twist on the usual form of a "Thomas Kincade is an a55hole" thread. Are the club footed horses subsequent generations of the foals sired by Doc Bar? If so, I would wonder at the super stud reputation. I don't think you can give a horse a club foot and a hump by not feeding it enough. (Admittedly, I may be wrong since I am not very experienced at starving horses.)

Thanks

To Attorney

Attorney,
    You're right a horse can't be club footed by being starved but by never trimming their hooves, even when very young they should be trimmed every 8 weeks. Supposedly quite a few outside mares that were already in foal to who knows what stallions were purchased; AQHA DNA tested the foals-none matched with the stallion certificates that came with the mares, making the foals unregisterable. If fillies and colts were kept in the same pastures and if brothers/sisters bred and if their offspring bred as well, could have very easily caused deformities, club feet, hernias, and worse.

Doc Bar was carefully bred to select mares by professionals who recorded every breeding when it occurred; he sired 485 registered foals and there were no reports of any of them being unsound or deformed in anyway. Doc Bar was a super star! Hope this clears things up a bit.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."
    Author Unknown
    Last edited by cacowgirl; April 30th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Do you like to draw horses?

Do you know Odayga??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post: