Thanks

Question Opinions about software

Since there is no specific forum category on other software than photoshop and painter, I think its better to post here:

I am looking to buy a software license for a painting program, but I am on a budget, so I need some help on making this decision. The decision was simple a few months ago, but since then a lot has changed.

So a few months ago after trying many software applications for painting, I decided to buy Paint Tool SAI. It is a very nice lightweight application which is all about painting (which is why I hate painter or photoshop, because they are so bloated that you get entangled in unnecessary tools and windows).

However, I found out after a bit of research that this tool is kind of not updated anymore, there have been 6 months + since the last update and none can get in touch with the development team.

The other obvious decision for me was openCanvas 4.5+. And I would have gone for this one, but guess what: Art Rage 3 Studio Pro has come out, with loads of improvements, new tools and very clean and nice interface. It basically is way better than the previous version.

So which one you suggest I should get, giving the fact I'm not interested in editing, just painting (I use gimp for editing):
    1. openCanvas 4.5+ (about 54 euros).
    2. art rage 3 studio (non pro) 40$ but with some restrictions, some of which are important and some of which are not.
    3. art rage 3 studio pro 80$.

A comparison between the two version of art rage 3 can be found here:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/...comparison.pdf

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Why don't you download tryouts and test them and see witch one fit your style best?

M

Thanks
    I think you can get CS4 for $100 if you're a student.

Thanks

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

@MatejaPetkovic - I actually did this, but both have features that I like and the other doesn't have it, and since I only have money for one it is a hard choice. I did test all the features of all of them a bit. open Canvas has nice tools and utilities, but the brush engine is pretty simplistic and lacks configuration, so the number of tools you can obtain with it is also limited. However, the layers and all other functionality is great. It even has some very basic editing functionality like adding text and such. On the other side Art Rage 3 has a nice brush engine, but it feels clumsy with it's big controls and tools and all it's interface is quite hard to navigate (requires a lot of clicks or pen taps). So what I'm saying here openCanvas with ArtRage's brush engine would be great. I just thought that some of you have experience with one or another (or both) and can tell me your opinion.

@hippl5 & kraken98 - I totally agree with you guys, but unfortunately I am not a student, and the standard license for Adobe products is priced quite high for a hobbyist like me. I'm an engineer and I do the drawing only as a hobby, so spending hundreds of dollars without having any hope on getting back the investment doesn't sound good .

@Portus - Yes, that was my choice initially, but I don't know how stable it is and I don't know if it is supported anymore. Do you own a license to SAI, can you please tell me more about it? The support, stability of the software and so on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshoo View Post
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

@Portus - Yes, that was my choice initially, but I don't know how stable it is and I don't know if it is supported anymore. Do you own a license to SAI, can you please tell me more about it? The support, stability of the software and so on?
    Yes I own a license, I installed my license on a couple of computers and it's rock steady on both Win7 and XP, it's only problem is really slow development and brush options, it's great to work in the details and block the initial colors or to just draw because the image is always smooth perfect even if you rotate the image 32º, mirrored and zoomed-out at 25%. I used it a lot, I bought it a few years ago I think it was in 2007 or 2008 and never got a file corrupted or anything like that, I got the preview jpg corrupted a couple of times when the computer was under a lot of stress while saving but the actual file was perfect.

Check Hecartha's videos on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hecartha

I share your views on ArtRage and because of that I would never recommend it to anyone. I could never be bothered to learn the weird shortcuts they used and I prefer to use PSD file system so having to constantly import and export would get old really fast, whoever designed the UI must really enjoy mouse clicking.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, I will surely give it a second thought now, maybe I'll just get SAI as I initially thought.

Thanks
    You can use SAI in full for 30 days so download some textures, some brushes and you'll have a better idea if it's for you. It's a good a program to have even if you don't use it for everything.