Art: Figure Drawing Question

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure Drawing Question

Greetings,

Does anyone know a good book on learning figures drawing?

and perhaps a book/illustration containing lots of figures/sculptures that one could use to practice figure drawing with?

i do plan on attending life/figure drawing sessions in the future to draw live models, but i figured i would get the basics down first.

also, can someone suggest a good set of pencils (or box sex) for doing figure/life drawings? and a good sketch notebook medium for these types of practices?

Are clutch pencils best for this? if so, could someone recommend some good ones?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis and Bridgman are great ways to learn the form and other various things concerning the figure. Those are probably the best books that I know of. Loomis is out of print, but you can download it in .pdf for free I believe. Just do a google search for it and you should find it. I don't remember the web address off the top of my head.
    As you stated, actually going to a class helps immensely. I just recently started going twice a week and it has immensely impacted my work.

I wouldn't be too picky about pencils, though I would recommend a full set from 9H to 9B. The H's may very well never get used (as I only use them rarely), but the B's certainly will. Also, I would look into using charcoal. Vine charcoal and charcoal pencils (compressed charcoal) work great, especially on tinted paper, where you can put lights in with white chalk or pastel.

As far as a good sketching medium, whatever works. I know some fellow artists use simple newsprint for quick studies as it is cheap. I will swear by my Moleskine, regardless of what some people think of them. It is portable and the paper is heavy enough to be able to take some punishment. Again, I wouldn't worry too much about this one. Any paper will do, as you are just learning to start out. Obviously, if you are doing a finished piece, I would recommend something of higher quality. I have used Lennox 100 extensively and like it. Also, Bristol is good paper, as well as Rives BFK (I think that is what it is called?), but not for studies, as they are far too expensive.

I hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best Book I've ever seen: Michael Hampton "Figure Drawing Desing and Invention" (read the amazon.com reviews and you'll understand, it's also often recommended here)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colleges that teach life drawing hire artist's models but they are usually trained or at least have a lot of experience. You need to be able to take specific direction or know instinctively what the art student's need. Most know about classic contraposto poses, foreshortened poses, etc. If you know all these things, get in touch with the professor who teaches the life drawing or anatomy courses and let them know you are available.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.