Sketchbook: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I've been hanging around the forums for the past fortnight or so, feeling inspired and working on the basics on my own, but not wanting to join as I'm in the middle of my GCSE's at school; I kept telling myself to wait until I finish school and can commit to it properly.

I realised today I was using that as an excuse to continue being shy, and that I wasn't going to get any better if I kept putting things off.

So, here's to improvement! Gonna try and swallow my pride/shyness and post everything in here.

Any help at all you can give is amazing. (let's hope I've got this posting thing right)

Recently: I've been doing some lighting/values basics 'cause I suck at that, and some small watercolour studies I've been trying to do everyday to improve my (non-existent) watercolour skills, and some hogarth studies (with some doodles thrown in, I think). Sorry if the first post is a bit over kill!
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jessibelle; June 1st, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit pathetic that this is all I have to show since last post.

More mini watercolour studies from a crumpled piece of paper:

a self portrait + perspective practice:

another lighting study - found this slightly challenging, think I learnt from it.

and lastly, some loomis proportions studies. Sorry if this is a little messy, why I chose to draw it over something else (boxes in perspective) is anyone's guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, new post. Been a bit lazy, not artwise, but i-didn't-want-to-scan-and-edit-wise.

School ends in 4 weeks, and the exams about 2-3 weeks after that - and then I can properly throw myself into art.

Loomis studies (proportion/perspective), vilppu exercises, a wind-down doodle trying to apply, and an unfinished still life of a buddha ornament.

Also, didn't really want to post this, but I said I'd post everything, so...
    This was started before I realised I had to go right back to the very basics, and I've had to finish it up since I'd promised it to someone else.
    I wanted alot to scrap it, since it's kinda the sort of thing I'm trying to move away from, but ahh well. Here's to being able to kick the ass of this painting soon!

Last edited by Jessibelle; April 30th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the girl with the windswept hair. All the studies you're doing will definitely help with the fundamentals, but don't be so worried about getting everything exactly right that you miss out doing faster studies as well. Quick gesture drawings will help train your eye and loosen you up. Plus being messy is fun ^_^

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Glycerine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your back-to-basics focus is such a good one! So many artists (myself included) have not properly honed basic abilities of imagining and executing simple forms at will, have been unable to see how key these tools of perception and rendering really are... These lessons that you're doing are the exercises that allow magic brain muscles to grow in an organized and balanced fashion and they eventually allow us to carry very heavy concepts that would otherwise be inconceivable, much less moveable. These are the lessons that, as we really really learn them over time/practice, slowly reveal themselves as our best buddies. Bravo in these endeavours!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glycerine:You're right, I have a perfectionist streak that I find hard to ignore. x) Guess it does stop me being as loose as I should be. I've been doing quick gestures in the morning, but I think I'm gonna do more as I'm obviously not getting enough out of them - thankyou!
    William B. Hand: Thanks for the reassurance, I needed that! Going back to the basics kinda made me realise how bad I actually am, and I was starting to wonder if it was helping at all.Still, gotta keep going!

Not as much this time; hit a very slight slump, back on track now I think.

The last of my watercolour studies for a while, because I'm kinda bored of these. Gonna do something different, to shake it up a little - thinking of pulling out the acrylics, but when I've finished my exams.

A little bit more perspective/vilppu, and some random depressed android-y girl - trying to improve my crappy line economy:

and some quick figure studies, limited myself to ten minutes each, focusing on gesture and proportion. These are on a3 sheets and had to be scanned in 4 parts, so sorry for my crappy photoshop skills in piecing them together, haha:

And I've finally filled the moleskine! I can move into a bigger sketchbook, wahhey!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crap, it's been ages (or feels like it) since I posted, and I have almost nothing to show for it. Been having trouble juggling exams/revision, social-life and art - although I know that's really no excuse.

So, here's what I got.

More loomis/vilppu. I find Vilppu easier to grasp I think; but when I do start to understand Loomis, it helps so much. Having trouble analysing the studies as opposed to copying:

some gestures - been doing these every morning, these are my latest. Mixture of 10, 15 and 30 secs. Again, having trouble finding/feeling the pose as opposed to copying it. sorry for the crappy phone pictures :

and some imagination stuff - sketchbook and schoolbook pages:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dominode,
    You are definitely moving in the right direction... The studies are really looking good.
    Keep up the great stuff!
    ~Zombifried
    zombifried's sketchbook

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zombifried: thankyou! I guess I'd be moving in the right direction alot quicker if I could just draw more...

okay, so the reason for the lack of uploads lately = cramming for exams. Damnn, I just want them to be over. I have a week off that I can draw and revise in, then the first day I go back, I have nearly four hours worth of exams. D':

So, I know, I suck, this is all I have to show. More loomis studies - gonna do the last few studies of his skeletons after these, then do a minimum of fifty from my head, just to make sure the understanding's cemented there.
    oh, the lined things are an exersize from vilppu, too.

These were done at school, since I decided the time spent in PE is alot better spent taking advantage of the art classrooms. first some ink skulls from a plastic skull model, since I love ink but suck at it and wanted to improve my lines, then a mannequin drawn in pencil, overhand.

and some sketches from imagination:

I also have gestures, but I'm struggling finding a good way to get them on the computer, since they're too big to fit the scanner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new update gonna try and get into the habit of uploading at least every other day. Should become easier after Monday, when I get 3 of my remaining 6 exams out of the way.

First, today's gestures - ugh, this is the closest I can get to a good photo when I'm working on anything larger than A4, I'm afraid.

looking at basic line/form - I think it's from a thread on CA actually, if I remember the link I'll post it.. it helped tons with me understanding gesture, anyway - I've finally stopped looking at the spine as the line of action.

More loomis skeletons - the first page is studies, the rest, as promised, is me starting on the fifty from my head. Realising how much *fifty* actually is, but I'm goddamn stubborn - I said I'm doing fifty, I'm doing fifty. eep.

and lastly, some of the topics from this thread. I know I messed up the side planes on the first, but I can't figure out the way the shadows would fall - any help with that would be amazing :] and the second is a novelty salt and pepper shaker of my mums, from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, no post. I got three of my big exams over today - nearly four hours of exams! - so I'm hoping from here on in to focus completely on my art, especially over the summer. I've set up a loose schedule which I may tighten when I know what works for me, and gonna try and upload every other day at least.

So here's to more art!

I finally finished those loomis skeletons, maaan fifty is a big number. But I feel much better for doing it. (Sorry for the overload, I get that this isnt as interesting)
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

whe-ew, bigger load than I thought. Giving loomis a short break to go onto bridgeman, since I found his complete guide to drawing from life at the library (I was so happy when I saw it - they're so not getting it back for a while xD).

Also, quick and dirrty doodle done to chill out between ethics and maths exams. Shows I desperately, desperately need to work on legs. And hands. And guns. And, well, everything.
    Also, am I the only one who finds it ironic that I draw a girl with a bigass gun on the back of an ethics revision guide?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waheyy! This is the first free day I've had since the start of exam season.
    So I spent it almost exclusively on drawing. :] And I still have the rest of the night yet!

Starting to teach myself acrylics - hoping to get the hang of them before I start college in september, since I'm pretty sure they'll come in useful. Gonna do a small one of these still lives every day. Today - an egg. I could not get the scan right, at all.

Some practice with line - contour, blind contour, half-blind contour and negative space. (Btw, it's an ashtray shaped like a crab, where the shell is the lid. I use it to sharpen my pencils into. )

And some Bridgeman, with a still life of an empty perfume bottle. Man, glass is hard to render:
    I'm just gonna be working my way through the bridgeman book chronologically, making studies of it all and reading it - is there any better way to do it? Just wondering, since the way I'm planning... it doesn't seem as... efficient... as it could be. *shrug* idk.

In town tomorrow, gonna try and get some life drawing done, and hopefully get a job somehow! Fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! I like your from imagination poses, looks like a lot of work. congrats on doing all 50. I'm reading through my Bridgeman book as well, I just want to have gone through the book and studied it all, even if kinda quickly, so that I'll know it a little. And I'll just use it for reference and studies and stuff when I finish. I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense either, but if two unrelated people got the same idea, how bad can it be?

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical: No problem, I'm an ass for not commenting, still trying to get into the habit x). And yeah, I guess this way we're still training our eyes, if nothing else, right?

Yesterday was pathetic art-wise, today was probably the best I've had, but still not good enough. So let's just group them into one post so I don't look as slow as I am!

More acrylic studies, yesterday's and today's. First one seems to be floating, because I was too lazy to paint the clasp it was resting on in. The second I forced myself to finish, even though it was giving me more trouble because of the color matching and came out crappier. Guess I need to practice more color!

More Bridgeman, and an SP I'm not quite happy with.

damn, I really need to speed up my workflow. Can you believe I spent all day drawing and this is all I have to show for it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a weird two days; the last day of high school, ever, was yesterday; kinda surreal as everyone seemed upset and nostalgic and I couldn't wait to get away. I'm free, haha (until I start college in september, at any rate). But still, that's tons of free drawing days and days.

Acrylics from yesterday and today - not happy with them at all, but I think I learnt something at least.

Some crappy line drawings to fix my lines a little. Just grabbed whatever was nearest.
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

And, let's see... More bridgeman, a quick rose shaped candle from life, a tonal study of a cheap Pharaoh bust, a self portrait and some stuff from the head. Really need to get back into the habit of doing stuff from imagination, those really suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man! You said I'm not afraid of the work, but my work seems little effort compared to yours.

Keep it up, watching your advance is great motivation!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Choucete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Choucete: Thanks! Although, I don't feel like I do nearly enough - today's post is plain example of that, eheh.

Last two days have been a horrible mix of being busy then the being tired from the busy-ness resulting in lazyness... So, I have an embarrasingly small post to make. Gotta fix that, starting tomorrow! No more small posts!

The last two day's acrylics - felt I was finally getting somewhere with the chocolate, then the crappiness of the elastic band came along. The color mixing on that was hell.

And more of the Bridgman. Approaching these differently from now on - realised I wasn't learning much at all; doing copy after copy meant I was focusing on line and getting line right, rather than learning the structure, as well as being dull as hell. .
    So, long story short, decided instead of mindlessly copying each one painstakingly, I'm gonna do it systematically, looking at what I can learn from each drawing, and applying what I've learned regularly. (and I feel like an idiot for not realising this before...)

okay, tomorrow, gotta make up for this, wake up early, no internet, sit down and draw draw draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from the second sketch, these were all yesterday's work - I wanted to upload them yesterday, but I kept thinking 'well, I could go scan them in... or I could carry on drawing;' and I eventually got so tired I had to go to bed. Good drawing day.
    Gonna start trying daily updates, if nothing else so I feel guilty when I have an unproductive day.

Imagination sketches; trying to do at least a page a day from my head. It's hard in a different kinda way than studies.

Bridgman - page 2 was trying to apply it to stock photos. I need to do more drawing from reference.

Acrylic - gonna leave these for a while; learning to draw would go so much quicker if I wasn't trying to teach myself how to paint at the same time.

Started to do exercises out of the natural way to draw, by Kimon Nicolaides; so many contours/gestures! But I like his structured approach.
    To give you an idea of size, these were nearly all done on their own separate piece of a4 paper. (scanning and piecing together was hell.)

Oh and also some life drawings of the father done last sunday when I was visiting.
    Why do people move so much?!
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice! Your studies are looking really good too. It's good that you're trying to not just copy the drawings in those books, I sometimes do that too.great job, keep it up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical: Thanks

Okay, so much for the daily updates. x) But the majority of what I've been drawing has been tons of gestures/contours, and they're very scrappy and not so nice to look at (as well as being hell to scan).
    Finally scraped enough together to post.

Went in town yesterday to do some life drawing, gonna be going every week since I obviously need it.

bridgman - finally going in more specialised on parts of the body. Starting with attacking what I think is one of my weaknesses - arms. Followed shortly by hands and feet. And legs. And everything else.

A self portrait, trying to describe using only line. Had a feeling I was using tone to hide my shoddy lines - man, I was right x]. Need to do more line drawings, I think.

Crappy head doodle.
    Need to do more imagination stuff! Wanna start to get back to doing finished pieces for myself again, but I've been feeling really crappy about my art and not good enough and it seems to be causing me some trouble. Gotta battle through, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to upload more often instead of cramming it all into one big post.

Still trying to do more from my head; I'd already kinda set myself the goal of filling my sketchbook before I go to college in september, but now I've decided to only do stuff from my head in there and do my studies on printer paper. That should push me some.
    Thumbnails and a very early wip of the piece I'm working on - any crits are very helpful; I realised after scanning that the right shoulder is placed wrong, hah.
    Decided to lay some tones onto the snakecharmer sketch; always feels weird painting in photoshop, like I'm not actually painting. So I don't finish stuff the majority of the time. (Can't you tell one of my favourite things to draw/paint is tummies?)

Upper arm studies, bridgman then application.

And more practice with line and proportion. Seems I can get relatively clean lines when I'm not drawing from my head. Solution: more head sketches!

Jess out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stayed up till 3 in the morning just draw, draw, drawing. Felt gooood. (Felt less good when my uncle's big mouth woke me up 3 hours later...)
    I know I can do more, though. But not tonight, german exam tomorrow. ugh. but, FINAL exam!!

Finalised sketch, painting it up today.

The last sketch I did last night - tried rendering, maaan that needs work. Feels good to finally be adressing my (non-existent) rendering skills, though.

more arm muscle studies, moving onto the forearm. The arm is complicatedd, man - all those little tendons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    need to art moooore.

Continued wip of the sketch - attempted to paint this traditionally, but I hadn't realised how crappy the paper quality was. It buckled like hell and all the paper fibres were coming away. So, digital.

This took up the majority of my art time today. I know, it's so overdone and unimaginative, pencil portraits of celebrities - I normally stay away from them, but this was done as a birthday present for a friend. Left eye is majorly jacked up, but I'm so proud that I sat down to do it and practically didn't move till it was done. I never do that, focus is a major weakness of mine.

and some more arms, and a tonal still life. Pencilled celebrity portraits and fruit still lives - this post just reeks of originality and creativity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Empty and lonely thread is getting kinda lonely. x)
    Going to attempt (again) to do little and often updates as opposed to waiting until I have a bunch of stuff to show.

Update on this; I think I'll be giving up on it after this, I really feel it isn't going anywhere, it's too empty, I don't know how to go forward, yadda ya. Learning experience though (I think..I hope!)
    Also, I've noticed it's noticeably darker outside of photoshop than when it's in it. help, please?

From head, not really all that original.. tried to render again.
    I need to draw more guys. I miss 'em.

Some more arm studies and a self portrait. Made it too long. need to do more of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couldn't get as much done today; had to go to a friend's birthday thing, and came back completely knackered. Managed to get a some arm studies (Bridgman and from life in front of a mirror) and a sketch done though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keeping up daily updates, waheyy. tired.

Todays studies; didn't realise I'd done this many.

Some small studies from life. Gonna redo the crumpled piece of paper tomorrow.

Value study. Painted in greyscale from a colour photo, then converted photo to greyscale to see how close I was to the actual value. Gonna do more of these too.
    Proportions/placement is so messed up it's untrue, since I was painting from scratch instead of sketching it out then painting it. Harder, but more fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I missed yesterday because I had an open day at my future college, and I guess all of those late nights/early mornings caught up with me cuz as soon as I got home I went to bed and slept for eleven hours straight.

Sketch from imagination, tried to really push myself in terms of rendering/lighting. Funny how my hatching goes to shit when I'm working from imagination:

Today's studies, inc. bridgman hands, mum from life and a sp in which I seem to have mysteriously gained a few pounds:

And another of those tonal things. 2-2.5 hours, ugh, need to do more of these, sooo off. Photo by zenibyfajnie on Deviantart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come on guys, it's like I'm talking to myself here

Not that much today, mixture of lack of focus, other stuff I had to do and uploading earlier than usual. Some photo-figure-studies:

A sp - been told I've made the face too wide. Also some lips from life/ref, since that's where I feel I have trouble. Ugh I need a haircut

And another value study - really got into this one, felt like I learnt loads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, nearly on page two be nice if I can get a comment in before then.. hint hint

Two sketches which annoyed me so much I couldn't bring myself to take them any further (although the headdress one has kinda grown on me a little):

Photostudiess:

Hands:

And today's sp. Eyes are wonky. Why the hell can't I do a slightly flattering sp? I look so butch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you're pretty damn diligent with your studies! I think you're on the right track getting the pure drawing skill down and all the Bridgman is starting to creep into the imagination stuff too, so that's going pretty OK too. You could work some more on the proportions of the limbs, they can get a little long or thick sometimes. Also, perspective! That one with the dying gladiator is out whack, you'd do well to lay out a perspective grid for it.
    Liek that last SP btw, not perfect in regards to symmetry and perspective but it's well rendered. Just keep posting, you're getting there.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3