Sketchbook: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~ - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @netxhunter: Thanks!
    @zephyri: Thankyouu~ I've looked up to your work for years, so you have no idea how much that comment means. :') Yeah you're right, i think I have a bad habit of trying to over-blend everything digitally, which is alot harder to do in oils... I also move the paintbrush very differently to how I use the wacom pen, never really noticed till you mentioned it. I'll definitely be looking into that as soon as I have time, thankyou for the critique!

Finished contest entry... I hate the scan of this. It's so much smoother irl, buuut you'll just have to take my word on that. :')
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

I'm putting together a logo for my cousin's new cake-making business, it's been fun. These were the sketches I sent across to her, I'm currently making colour mock-ups of the third one down since that's what she chose:

aaand the usual anatomy studies. Arms arms arms.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jess, your pencils are getting much more sweeter than my own. I can't let THAT happen!
    Looking at those arms studies, they look so precise and the shading looks really sweet. Wish I could see those in a bigger format.

Cool logos as well, I really loved the text on the top left one - what do you think of the combo of that text and the option she chose? Just musings

One last thing before clicking the post button - it's probably too late for that contest piece, but check it for proportions. It looks a little askew. Just a little.

Anyway, Peace and Toast!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment! The pencil studies look really nice and smooth good job on those. Are you doing studies from memory along with the observational ones though? I can't tell XD if you are then great, if you aren't you need to to make sure the things you're learning stay in your brain.
    Also I think you should draw a ton of skulls and heads, your understanding of the head's construction isn't good enough. In your contest piece for example according to the position of her eyes the nose should probably be approaching profile view, possibly breaking the contour of the face. That's the position the nose is in when the far eye is touching the edge of the face. oh, and while I'm at it the perspective of the eyes and chin don't match.
    Perspective and construction, boring and basic, I know. But keep practicing the basics and you'll be as great as you want! good luck

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kerah: Ahh, thankyou! yeah, I sorta felt like anatomy studies were taking over my sketchbook, so that's why they're so small, sorry :') About the logo.. hadn't really thought about it tbh, I'd only made the text that way in the first one so that it stood out better against the cake... And she seems happy with the logo/text combination, so that's what matters.

@Vertical: Ahh I'm doing bits from memory, but not really enough, if I'm honest. :') I should change that pronto... Been mostly familiarising myself with the muscles through repetition atm.
    You're completely right about the head thing; should have looked at the damn sketch in a mirror, aaah. I'll start jamming on heads pretty soon. Thankyou for the crit!

Little update, working most of the weekend, and some time was spent painting that big canvas (which isn't gonna be uploaded til it's finished now.)

Anatomy studies, sketchbook pages (batgirl and darth vader-girl are photostudies from suicidegirls) and the finished logo.
    I know updates aren't that exciting atm; hopefully that'll change soon, when I can work on personal work again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still love your anatomy studies the most Is the repetition-thing working for you? I really should start anatomy studies again too and just wondering if the learning with repetition thing would bee eerm, my thing. Oh and also the vader-girl looks cool.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Satu: Ah, thankyou! Um, the repetition does help an awful lot, especially if you're trying to do it from memory each time... Good luck with your anatomy studies!

Been laying off uploading till I finished this... the beast that's been taking up all my time. -.- Finally done... Crappy photo though, sorry about that.
    That's about a2 size. Completely ate my white paint.

Some sketchbook pages - things in pen are photostudies, pencil are personal work. Trying to fill a page with photostudies every other day... been feeling a lot that my ideas are kinda... lacking. So these will be just random photos i come across on the internet, to build my visual library :')

Aaand obligatory anatomy studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! nice to see you are really into figure drawing, but don't forget to post some environments, even if it is speedpaint, like you did back there.

Keep it up!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Caio Chagas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That commission piece with oils is awesome! I love the strong impact of the comp, solid looking heart, how the cool colors pop up against the glow and how well everything is blended. Precise anatomy studies too as always and nice logo sketches!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That heart painting came out really tight! How's your routine and everything now that college is over? Just wanted to highlight something I see you doing with faces from your imagination quite a bit, not sure if you see it or not. Took one of the paintings above as an example, they look a little skewed. You can fix this by having a strong centre line in the construction phase, and trying to keep everything balanced along it. Worth studying some Loomis heads if its something you're struggling with.Keep it up

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I have a banging headache I want to sleep off, so I'll report back first thing tomorrow to reply to comments (which I really am grateful for, thankyou so much)... and apologise for being gone so long.... just gonna drop these here for now.

Anatomy studies, arms and onto heads.

Sketchbook photo studies

Studies from life - people from in/around costa, animals from bolton museum

random sketchbook pages

Really bad photo of an oil paint photo study... really enjoying oils lately, expect more of these.

and a little piece from imagination, applying what I learnt from the oil paint study. Tried to follow zephyri's advice and imitate my oil painting progress.. I think it's really paid off, the brush strokes are much more painterly... thankyou for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great work, awesome amount of studies. I'm sorry I don't really have any crits for you, jsut keep working, you're doing great.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Headache-free now, so... Replies!!
    @Caio Chagas: Thankyou! Yeah I know it's pretty figure-orientated atm, but figures and environments and creatures are such large, intense areas of study I wanna be able to focus on them individually to really get into the subject... and right now I'm really jamming on the figure as much as possible. I'll probably pick up environments in a couple of months or so.

@smuli: Thankyouu!

@SamC: Thanks! Yeah I've had the head/face crit a couple of times now... Didn't realise how bad it was till I actually went back to studying them, oh my. Done some loomis, gonna look at skulls/self portraits and churn out a good 50 from photos, see where it gets me... kick this habit. :')
    My routines a little skewed since with this new job, I can be working any day during the week, any time between 9am and 12/1am, anything between 6-12hrs... I'm slowly learning to get more adaptable though, use any spare time I have, so it's actually working out as a plus, in the long run... guilt-tripping myself about how little I've done is helping a ton too, aha.

@Psychobuddy: Thankyou! :')

So I didn't mention it last night, but I've started a new blog... http://jessibels.blogspot.co.uk/ It's not a standard portfolio blog in that there's not gonna be any finished work in there... I'll be posting (hopefully... more or less) on a daily basis, with a screenshot of what I'm working on at that moment and what song is on while I do.

It's mostly for myself, to keep track of whether I'm doing something substantial or worth showing every night, and because I have a habit of taking progress shots which never get shown anywhere... but eh, I love looking at art in progress, so maybe you guys will too.
    (The link is in my Signature too)

See you guys soon, thanks for all the comments, always much appreciated! :'D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Head studies - up to 29/50, woop.

Current oil paint study... these take me so long to do. Days, man. Think I'm gonna throw out some alla prima stuff from life next, see if that can speed me up a bit.

And some sketches.. Never really just sat down and doodled digitally, it's actually really fun. I think I prefer sketching digitally and painting traditionally... Cause I'm backwards that way, apparently.
    (Yes, that is hellboy and brave fanarts at the top. Been enjoying both atm.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can already envision you being a great artist Jessi. Keep it up, Those oil studies are motivating me to pick up my brush.

Take Care =D

If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TNiznet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TNiznet: Ahh, thankyou!! Glad I could motivate you

Some sketchbook pages, including more head studies. 42/50, 8 to go!

Asaro head studies... took way too long on this.

And this isn't completely done... but this is where I'm leaving it; rather than dragging it out and noodling over details, I think time's better spent moving on to the next thing, especialy since it's been so long since I've done a finished portfolio piece. Gonna put all this oil painting practice to the test.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE your personal voice that comes through always in your finished illustrations/work. It's really unique!!! And your oils make me jealous, I've totally lost all patience for them. Your paintings have literally blossomed into these lovely color rich magic canvases of happiness that make me so excited to see! I love them so much. And your studies are always awesome to see, keep working hard girl!!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to viki oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook Jessi, its great to see you hammering those studies and its paying off. Your recent oil painting portrait has some beautiful colours in it, and your pencil face studies are getting alot beter too. Just keep an eye on those proportions and values (which i can see you already are ;p) and i can't go wrong.

Thanks for sharing your progress, keep it up

30. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @viki oh: Ahh! You're too kind womann!! I don't deserve this praise... haha, thankyou so much, that comment made me glow :') Gonna keep working away..
    @warburton: Ahh thankyou!! Yep, just gotta get into the habit of consciously thinking about proportions/values :')

Finally finished the fifty faces! added a self portrait on at the end too (Proportions are messed up and I look pretty moody, but ahh well.) Some faces from imagination thrown in there too

A photostudy from Suicidegirls.com .... Finally bought myself a membership, so happy. :') Although the forums/community is a bit of a time-suck, the amount of gorgeous/inspiring reference is worth it.

Aaand started a new personal painting; this is on pretty big canvas (I'd say somewhere between A3 and A2). Underpainting finished, gonna pull out the oil paints on it soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments and views so far! Finally getting into a good routine, got a busy week or so ahead due to my birthday (among other things), but should be pretty regular updates again. Pretty damn motivated lately :')

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your practices and studies truly have improved! keep up the good work!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah agreed your studies have definitely improved ! Your faces have a lot of form and expression, also really good proportions! And I can't wait to see what becomes of this oil painting >:3 Are you still going to school?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to viki oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kevin_: Thankyou! Improvement's what I'm aiming for :')
    @viki oh: Ahh thankyou! Always have problems with proportions so it's good to know they're looking up Nah, I finished college mid-may, I had the option of going to university but decided against it, going the way of the self taught at the moment

Woop, welcome back CA! I've missed you, man.

Stayed busy though Two new finished pieces. The finished oil painting from the underpainting posted last time:

And my entry for the Deviantart "Draw This Again" contest, I was redrawing this piece from four years ago... It's nice to see that improvement, good motivator. I noticed that some stuff I didn't even know was part of making a decent picture back then, I sort of do almost unconsciously now. And still so much to learn... Art is amazing.

Lots and lots of studies... I could have scanned all these in, but it would have taken ages and I have better things to do. Like painting. Did I mention all of these sheets are double sided too?

And sketchbook pages. Mostly imagination/doodles on my work break, some from life, some from photo ref.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's been up to while CA's been out of action. And so motivated to art lately, it's awesome Also, taken the link to my blog off my signature due to the fact I've forgotten my password and I'm finding it impossible to retrieve it. :') I'll update it when/if I get a new blog, but right now my schedule isn't really good for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the oils are looking awesome ,wish I could man up enough to start painting with those! Keep working hard!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ludic: Aha, you should! I was scared of using them for so long, but as soon as I started using them I fell in love :') and thankyou!!

Ahh, need to get back in the habit of uploading here... :') Plus I wanted to finish some stuff off before I started uploading. I know, I know, excuses.

Another oil paint study from Suicidegirls - the lighting was so fun in this, but I had to keep repainting it cause I kept getting the colour temperatures wrong. So much to learn! :'D

WIP Sargent study - First master study! These things are so hard. So many things wrong with this already.

The usual sketchbook pages...

... And anatomy study.

Left this till last since I'm not happy with it at all... meh.
    Image on the right is the only reference I had, the only remaining picture of my great-great-(Great-greatgreatgreat...) grandad. My nan wanted me to see if I could paint the whole face... I should leave the painting restoration to the experts.

Seeyou soon! Hopefully sooner than last time :')

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so many studies! good to see you applying them in illustrations too. keep up the imagination work too, that way you can see where you fall short. and then you can cater your studies towards what you're missing. keep up the good work

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Eightball_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you're taming the oils! Your pesistence definitely paid off with this one, the feel of light is great and facial construction looks good too. On this portrait, the main thing that disturbs my eye is that the part you copied from the photo looks more faded than the warm and saturated brown and green shadows on the hair and background. Nice job with the subtleties on the skin though!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your recent oil studies, when I look at them all I can do is grunt.
    grunt grunt - especially this one - boink.
    I know you didn't finish it, but I just love this warm/cool gameplay. It turns out very neat
    Keep on rockin' Jess.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Eightball: Thankyou!! Yeah, I really need to work on doing more personal works, you're right :')
    @smuli: Haha, Oilpaint is so fun! Weird to think I was almost scared of it before... x) Yeah, you're completely right... It was hard to compensate for the lack of saturation in the photo. It's a christmas present, so if I get time before then I'll try and go back and fix it up. Thanks!
    @Kerah: Ahh thankyouu Yeah, the warm/cool contrast in the photo was what drew me in to paint it in the first place... Kinda wish I'd finished it too, but too many things were going wrong so I abandoned ship :')

Ugh, a fortnight of no posts... So much for getting back into the habit :/ I just hit a major slump; feeling overwhelmed, so much to learn and I don't know where to start, all my ideas are terrible and boring, etc. etc. I think I'm battling through it now though, keeping myself busy... I get moments where I get really into what I'm working on, and then days where I feel like I've been working all day and have nothing to show for it. Meh...

New oil painting; this had gorgeous colours and lighting which I couldn't resist, but they turned out to be a huge pain-in-the-ass. Lots of things wrong, buuuut hopefully lots of things learnt. Really should have done more of an underpainting for this one.
    Name:  Suicidegirl study - LeitheCA.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  402.3 KB

I made t-shirts! On sale here...
    I'm a huge Hellboy geek. ♥ And I was pretty disappointed with the lack of merchandise available for it compared to other comics... So I went and made my own.
    Lots of things to be improved upon and things I want to change in future... but they were fun to do, so I can refine them if I decide to do any more.
    Name:  hellboy.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  302.9 KB

Aaand lots of crappy sketchbook pages. Nearly through this sketchbook, finally!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Jess, that last oil painting shows such a growth (DAT LIGHTING). Jess, how do you blend the paint in oils, like when I use oil paint, the colors always look crystallized and never smooth. I have trouble getting flat colors like you would with acrylics and etc. Is it possibly because I am not using enough pigment? Gahh, if you get any free time, check out my sketchbook in the following days, so you can better see my situation with oil medium. I would really appreciate it.

Keep it up, the oils are looking great.

If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TNiznet: Thankyou!! I'm still learning myself, barely a beginner so I'm not really the best to ask... But I'll pop on over to your sketchbook and try to help out

I'm getting slowly better a this whole posting-more-regularly thing... :')

Some sketchbook pages... a page of Goblins from imagination and practice with expressions from ref.
    Name:  SAM_0301.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  496.3 KB

Some doodles from life on reciept roll during a particularly slow day at work...
    Name:  Image (71).jpg
Views: 236
Size:  151.8 KB

An oil study from life... I've been feeling the need to get back to doing life-studies, and I got the final push after seeing Smuli's daily oil paint studies in his sketchbook :')
    Should be doing a couple more soon...
    Name:  SAM_0299.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  348.4 KB

Digital photo study, in preparation for a painting I have planned:
    Name:  sepentinestudy1-CA.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  189.1 KB

And the first two of a eight-piece set I'm doing for mum's christmas present, on the theme of a suit of cards. This is the king and Queen of hearts. Acrylic on mini canvas board.
    Name:  KingandQueenHearts.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  376.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a bit of a theme of drawing/painting from life this week... I wanna do at least one day a week where I just focus on "from life" cause I got a lot from these. :')

Sketchbook
    Name:  SAM_0355.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  423.6 KB

Oil paint - A bit rushed since I tried to do the bulk of the painting in one sitting.
    Name:  SAM_0353.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  254.8 KBName:  SAM_0350.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  301.5 KB

And two more of Mum's christmas present; King and Queen of Diamonds.
    Name:  Image (5).jpg
Views: 446
Size:  372.5 KB

There's not much this post, since I had a godawful weekend that left me feeling like crap, and I'm working so many hours at work at the moment since it's so busy (I work in a cinema, and the new James Bond film has just been released. Go figure.)

Hope everyone has a good Halloween!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3