Sketchbook: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~ - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, Apologies for the small amount of stuff. Busy and all that. And apologies for sounding like a broken record.

ear studies, sketchbook page and 3 failed environments. Gonna keep cranking these out till I get something finished and decent, i think.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn those eye studies looked lifelike! Good job with colors on the first enviro thumbnail especially. Third one has more challenging lighting but make sure you get the air perspective captured whenever it's visible. The picture misses the light blue on the horizon. Great to see you still diligently drawing and updating. Keep it up!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli: Thankyou! yeah, I tried attacking air perspective again here a little. It's a lot harder than I expected, ha.

Shit, the amount of uploads is getting embarrassing. I'm not used to having so much of a life, haha. Working loads of overtime, had my seventeenth birthday last week, trying to keep in touch with friends and I started college today too. Oof.
    But hopefully I can get into some kind of routine now. Fingers crossed.

Some nose studies

More environments - kinda happy with the first. The second one, not so much - water is damn difficultt.

Some crappy sb pages, graphite got a little smudgy in places

And two wip's. The second is verryy early, and an attempt at straight into colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great nose studies! Both color studies look carefully done and the basic things are there. I guess I'm nitpicking but try to nail the relations of color areas next to each other, like that the sky behind the mountain is not only lighter but also more saturated and turquoise, and that the highlights on the mountain are warmer than the shadows. The lower part of that picture looks like it could use an orange overlay. I think I'm repeating the same thing to everyone but I find it easier to find the colors with the color palette as taught in this great tutorial by Linran, because you don't have to open the color picker every time. Keep it up but don't over-exhaust yourself!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli: I knew something was off with the colour, but it hadn't occurred to me to think in terms of warm/cool colours and colour relationships - it seems so obvious to me now, haha. I'll have to remember that. (: And the tutorial is amazing, I have it constantly open in a tab so I can keep checking it - thankyou! 8D And thanks so much for the repeated support and critique, it helps tonns~.

okay, so college didn't get me into routine as much as I'd hoped (in fact, it knocked out the little routine I had). So, I'm being pro-active! I'll be updating weekly, on a sunday, no matter how little or much I have to show.
    Also, I finally got a wacom! Spent the whole of my first wage+all my birthday money on a fucking gorgeous intuos4 I've named Malachi. It's made such a difference to the way I paint and the way digital painting feels to me, its amazinggg. Not sure if it's evident in what I've done though. :]

Small update on this - greyscale nearly finished.

Only environment I managed this week.

College stuff. Theme of Decay. Some skull studies and an acrylic photostudy from primary reference.

And some hand studies. (pretty indicative of the chaos of my life right now - done in my personal art sketchbook, on top of film studies notes from college, on my work breaks. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bishop. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good dominode! I love all the studies you've been making, specially the ones with the elephants and the enviro paintings. I also always enjoy seeing your conceptual work as well, keep it up! Now I want to paint elephants :>

11. The Following User Says Thank You to viki oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bishop: Thankyouu. (:
    Viki_oh: Thankyou! Do eet! They're fun to draw. 8D

Quick postage again. Mostly only college stuff this week. Alot of it is embarassingly bad, I just wanted to get it done and out of the way (which I still haven't managed.)

also gave an hour of today to doing some more of this; first colour pass. I've a feeling I made the greyscale too rendered.

Gah, I need some time to do some studies! or just draw for myself. I feel so rusty, like I'm neglecting my art and all that hardwork was for nothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww don't feel like that, you're working hard! Really cool stuff here. I like the latest thing you're working on. The fish look really cool! i think the composition's a little funny though, your eye's led in by the fish and boat on the left then follows the spiral of fish and ends. Girl boat fish fish fish the end.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, long time no post! College kinda killed me for a while. Things were getting crazy, and I wasn't coping at all; I felt I was learning nothing on my art course, being made to churn out crap just to pass an exam I didn't care about, and getting no time to study on my own. Long story short, after discussions with the mother, I've decided to drop out as of next Monday and focus on studying on my own for the time being.

So, I should return to full posting form, with any luck!

Vertical: Thankyouu! I find it hard convincing myself I'm working hard unless I have a ton to show for it, ha. I see what you mean about the composition, thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I'll fiddle around a little with that to see if i can fix it!

Joe777k7: Thanks! I'll try not to!

some stuff done since last post - college stuff, sketchbook stuff, starbucks life studys, a study done during half term.

Now I'm ready to get back inspired, get back to work!!
    (in the morning, maybe... x] )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, on the whole dropping college thing - hold that thought. apparently they might be able to fine me 900 for quitting, which I just can't afford. I'll find out tomorrow anyways. fingers crossed.

figure studies.

trying to understand the pelvis before i start laying the muscle over it.

one of my huuuge stumbling blocks is colour. ergo, some quick copies from dvd screencaps, tried to keep it under 30-40 mins. harddd. look like crap, but i felt i was at least getting somewhere.

sketchbook doodle.

ughh, i feel so damn rustyy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Good luck with the whole college thing. It feels like your shading is kinda all over the place. I'm not totally sure, but I think focusing on shading with or against the form only would help. making lines in only one direction might be good too. It looks like you;re paying too much attention to contour in your figure studies, try to focus on gesture and keep it loose!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical: Thanks for those crits, they were actually dead on! My shading on those was actually really sloppy, I was sort of subliminally rushing for them. ^^; I need to regain my dedication! Tried to focus less on contour on these, I don't think I'm there at all yet though. More Practice! It's a hard habit to get out of. x)

Quick postage - I can see the next few days being very busy. I'll explain later.
    Figure studies, unfinished colour figure, self portrait cause I haven't done one for aaages. As you can tell by how much my hair has grownn. xD

Ugh, messy strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Values are great as always and I really like the banana color study. Good use of colors on the digital figure too! On the self-portrait, there's a good sense of form but on the hatching, try to avoid 90 degree angles, they look kind of distracting. The pencil figures on the last post look really solid. Keep it up, and thanks for the nice comment!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli: Thankyou! yeahh, I was trying to figure out why my hatchings always look so messy x) I really need to practice being a bit more disciplined with/mindful of my strokes.

ugh, another long absence, i really dont want to make a habit of this, but things have been crazy busy; hopefully I can sort myself into a routine in the new year.

I do have more to show, but no time to scan - need to set off for work soon (8 hour shift, yay. ), but i figured showing something was better than nothing. SO here's what's been taking up any free time I have - a christmas present for the boyfriend he wanted a flying-v ukelele, and for me to custom paint it. so much fun. x)
    original ukelele:

sketch:

Gesso'd and ready for paintingg:

idea was a jekyll/hyde kinda theme.
    and here's something I sketched up in the last hour or so, for the current teen challenge - idk if i'll be able to finish, but I really wanna start entering these regularly, so fingers crossed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first proper go at oils, still lives - neither got finished cause i was doing them when i got home from college/work, and i only had a bit of time before the light changes for sunset. found these on my harddrive and realised they hadn't been uploaded.

some more work on this, it's turning out to be quite fun to paintt nearly made me late for work this morning. straight into colour, experiment. bg needs sortingg.

Merry christmas/hannukah/hogswatch/non-denominational holiday, people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really good studies, Dont give up of them. BTW if you wanna get some more practice here are a two get sides for timed sketching:

http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html

http://posemaniacs.com/?

Also You can get alot of good stuff from http://www.drawingforce.com/ to loosen up your drawings. Happy Hunting!

"Fail. Fail again. Fail better."
    -Samuel Beckett

Hunting Season: Sketchbook
    Entainment Design: The Layered Cake
    Pinky's UP!: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...15#post2908915
    Critic Me

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Karonno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving those value studies, particularly the eyes on the last page - you've really captured that wet/glassy type texture of the eye. And it's very brave of you to put the black and white images up next to your paintings, i'm always scaired i've sodded it up.

Keep up the good work!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Karonno: Thanks so much for those! I was using posemaniacs every morning to warm up with some gestures, but after checking out the pixelovey link, I've switched exclusively to that site for my morning warmup. xD It makes such as difference drawing from photos rather than 3d renders.

dog-faced: Thank youu

New year Much as I hate to admit it, my art drive kinda died out in the last few months of 2010, around about the same time I started college. But, new year, dropped half my classes and I'm ready to start busting my ass in the name of art again!

I usually make lots of resolutions and see how many I can keep; this year, I only made three:
    -Update this sketchbook at least twice a week. Preferably more.
    -Win a teen challenge x)
    -Improve my focus on things, including art.
    Wish me luck!

Some of this stuff isnt very recent - I finally got around to scanningg x)

Teen challenge No. 201, finally finished:

Some sketchbook pages, got some drawing inks and had fun playing around with them x)

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=studybus.jpg

decided a while back not to post studies from bridgeman/loomis/hogarth etc; yeah, changed my mind. x) have some loomis and some bridgeman, and some photo-reffed torsos. Trying to alternate; spend a day studying bridgeman, and then a day of photostudies on the same body part, lather-rinse-repeat.

Finished painting the ukulele; should have the photos of that in the next post.
    Hope you all had amazing holidays!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit, what's this?? Regular uploads?!

Feeling ohso motivated. eee, I've missed that feeling so muchh.

Finished ukulele - the boyfriend has seen it now, he seemed to be pretty happy with it.

recent bridgemanss

and two colour studies. These took me the majority of a day, each. Neither's really finished, but i'm spending way too long on them for what they are. Need to speed up - guess that'll come with time, though. Source is this - gorgeous portraits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not as much this time; I don't know what happened. I'm not falling off again! better upload next timee.

Studies: hogarth, Kchen and photostudies. Also, does any body know where I can find more kchen stuff? the only place I'm getting it atm is characterdesigns.com.

Tried applying the studies I've been doing, and did some torso's from my head. These suck Moral to the story - I really need to apply studies more often.

Had a big empty free period at college; decided to sit in the cafeteria and get some lifedrawing in. I got caught staring at people as I did it at least twice, lmao - really need to work on subtlety. ;D

And a small tonal from life. I intended to spend one night doing lots of these, but it was also the first time I tried to paint on my laptop, which turned out to be alot more complicated than I was planning on - the screen resolution is so loww!

Got other stuff, but it's in progress and too close to being finished to be worth posting right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been working overtime at work these past two days; which, when i had to go into college on those days too, leaves me less time to art than i'd like. (i was leaving the house for 7:25 and not getting home till after six. :/)

tiny bit of bridgeman and hogarth, some photostudies and some more torsos from my head; I'm finally starting to feel like these chest studies are making a difference. I think applying what I've been learning is helping a ton.

a tonal still life of one of the mother's egyptian ornaments; this took foreverr, and it's still not finished. Thought letting it alone now would be the best use of my time x)

very quick, crappy tonal screencaps.

and two messy, unfinished sketchbook pages which i'm only including to bulk this post out a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, working overtime during college terms really takes it out of me. And out of my art-time. Here's what I've managed to scrounge up for the last few dayys.

Some more chest studies; hogarth + photostudies.

And sketchbook pages - first is life drawing, including some friends faces from college. using pen to challenge myself to get the right lines first instead of jumping about everywhere, and to be a bit braver with my marks aswell. Plus, it's rather funn. Oh, the blue ink came through from another page. oops.

I actually have more stuff, it's just all unfinished, so no uploading yet. Just one more week of overtime at work, hopefully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you're able to churn out drawings on top of everything else you're doing. Really good studies! The forms and shadings are great the torsos look very solid. I can feel the rigidity of the ribcage on the twisted poses and it shows you're putting a lot of thought on the structure. It's probably a great idea to study many different anatomy authors at the same time.

The still life of the Egyptian ornament is looking very good on the face and neck but the background looks a bit busy with the small brush strokes. Why not paint it with a few strokes with a huge brush instead? Because of that and the dark value, the corner kind of steals attention IMO. Using the biggest brush you possibly can reduces the time spent and gives a more fluid look.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smuli:Thankyouu tbh, I think I'm balancing my time really badly but heyy, gotta keep soldiering on, right? x) yeah, stroke economy is a bit of a (big) weakness I should work on - I get too wrapped up in how each small section looks and end up using brushes way too small. Oops.

Still fighting for time, this is all I could scrape up. I'm getting a bit tired of chests, so i'm gonna spend tonight/tomorrow just killing them, and then move on to something else for now.
    Also, name change - fits a bit better, since people actually call me this, whereas dominode was just some random sounding thing off the top of my head.

lessee... little bit of chest study, some sketchbook pages (including a small carravaggio study done in my college breaks); some post-it note/reciept roll doodles from the rare times when it gets tired at work, including a study from a bookcover that was lying on the till, and the set up for a small still life im planning on when i get some more time.

had coffee - ready to draw till i cant keep my eyes open

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, this update is pathetically tiny, but i only have about fifty minutes before i break my new years resolution to upload at least twice a week, so here goes.

sorry that this post is so same-y too - been trying to get one last rush at chest anatomy before i move on for now.
    hogarth:

photo studies - women are hardd:

from imagination/memory - these were so frustratingg. still so far to go yet:

and this got finished. :

soooo so tired. beeeed night, all !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another tiny post, where did my time go this week? what the hell? I should probably get used to the fact that this is gonna be the average size of art I can muster in college time, and stop whining about it. x)

Photostudies from a magazine:

fabric folds, attacking a major weakness:

and a crappy half-finished greyscale enviro i'm scrapping, cause i've gone wrong too many times, and often in the early stages. Still, I felt I've learnt alot about what *not* to do. x)

tiredtiredtireddd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Failedfailedfailed this week. Better next week, promise.
    Tired.

fabric folds studies, selfportrait/facial features from life in pen, sketchbook page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh look, we're into february and I still haven't broken my new-years twice-weekly-uploads resolution. only just barely, but still.

kchen studies with a small photostudy, and two sb pages. still in love with drawing ink.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12