Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

Thanks
    @Kerah: ahh, thank you! well, the days till i finish college, yeah. there isnt really a graduation, we just finish

so... early post, as promised

college work - id really appreciate some input on the costume design thumbs, which works best? (she's supposed to be a priestess's apprentice in a like, sacrificial tribal cult, if thats any help.)
    Trails of Crumpled Paper and Chewed-up Pencil Stubs~

and study catch up! just speeding through some hogarth hands, hoping i can get something to stick before the easter holidays end. i've heard mixed things about hogarths teaching method, but personally i love the way he breaks things down into shapes and planes find it pretty easy to grasp, even if it is exaggerated.

hopefully i'll have some personal work to show on sunday, working on the sketch now
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    so, this is my second upload of the week, as promised! (idk if i'll be able to make it two updates next week... busier than expected. gonna damn well try though.)

college work... working up a digi final for the apprentice character. (need to study the hell out of legs, asap!!) pushing colours and lighting more than usual, feels like i know what im doing more, but not really. should'a used more reference.

some more hand studies... hogarth and then his theory applied to photo-ref

and some personal work... sketch and colour thumbs. shameless fan art, ha /geekery. challenging myself with a bunch of stuff on this one...
    think i'm gonna go with the top left colour scheme... torn between that and the bottom right. thoughts?

hope y'all having a good easter! or y'anno, just a good day in general

Thanks
    Those hand studies look gorgeous! I like how you applied them to photo studies, in some the fingers look slightly too bent but otherwise the construction looks good in all of them. Nice to see you sketched some tilted head studies too. The heads on the plane studies look slightly squished but the photo reffed ones look good.

As others have said, nice work on the lively skin tones on the watercolor portraits! I find watercolors to be a good medium for learning how light behaves because you can make small adjustments with thin layers which I think pushes your eye to be more demanding with color accuracy.

On this character, I like the skin tones, pose and anatomy in general, but the arm and legs look a bit too thick to the left side. Textured background makes it difficult but you could try get into the habit of painting background/negative spaces onto the foreground when necessary, rather than erasing the layer. Just a matter of taste of course but it gives a more painterly look than layers with corrected edges.

From the color thumbnails on the last post, my favorites are the two bottom ones because they show prospect of a good mood. On the top left one, the darker values are so close to each other that it's hard to make out the figures and on the top right one, the light spots look a bit distracting but it could be a start of a nice daylight scene.

Keep them coming!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @smuli: ahh, thanks for taking the time to write out that comment/those crits, it's much appreciated.
    yeah, i know what you mean about some of the hand studies looking off, most of them don't look right to me either; gonna keep grinding till they do and i plan to start some from imagination when i get more of the hang of the photo reffed ones.
    yeah, i should really do studies in watercolours/gouache more... that's on the list of things to do after i finish college! i see what you mean about the character now... i was trying to make her seem more muscled but don't think i pulled it off. should have used more ref. also, im not really sure what you mean, in the bit about negative space/bg+fg/layers? and i already started before i read this, on the first colour thumb... :/ im possibly scrapping the piece though.
    thanks again!!

didnt make two updates this week :/ didnt have a single free day... and it's back to college tomorrow.
    only 41 days left now!

moar hand studies!!

moar college work!

finished the digi from the last

finished underpainting for a portrait of the same character. you also get the bonus of seeing where it was painted! idk why. aha, such a mess.

and the progress of the last sketch... but i think i'm probably gonna leave it here. forgot how much i hate using colour pencil on w/c paper, and just kinda lost enthusiasm for it...

Thanks
    About the painting negative spaces too thing, what I meant was an approach of painting everything on a single layer rather than keeping the subject on a different layer and cleaning the edges. I find it helps think about the negative spaces more and that could help out with things like getting the width of limbs right (and give a more painterly look because with traditional mediums, you can't refine layer edges with an eraser). Sorry if I made it sound like a critique, it's more like just another thing to consider.

Good hand studies and I like your workspace with all the pictures, I should take a leaf out of your book at that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with Smuli, your workspace looks just awesome. A nice and cosy feeling, isn't it?
    I have enjoyed looking at your hand studies, but you repeatedly seem to make the thumb smaller/thinner than what I feel it should look like (maybe my inner thumb compass is off?), especially in the last and first pages of the hands you did - Are some of those from imagination? Just curious, because the second page of hands looks really great in comparison.
    Also good job on the acrylic!
    Cheerio!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @smuli: ahh okay. now I get it thanks for clarifying that. I'm giving this little piece of advice a whirl atm, seems to be working much better - I'll upload the picture next week, should be done by then.
    @kerah: Thankyou! None of the hands are from imagination, they're alternately hogarth and photoref - are you referring to the ones copied from hogarth? he deliberately stylises the fingers/thumb to show where the knuckles lie... I'll try and keep an eye on proportions anyways, I know it's a weakness of mine. Thanks again!

I did update last week, I swear! Then I come back now and the post isnt here... Oh, CA. :/

so you can have last weeks update anything I have lying around Ill just add to next weeks post.

usual hand jams...

college work. phone cameras are crappy, the big oil painting looks better irl.

just over 26 days!!

Thanks
    holding off on studies and personal work till i get this college work done. 20 days!! and then i can just focus completely on my work personally :')
    so all you guys get is a big dump of this weeks college work for the next week or three... sorry about that. ^^;

Thanks
    so, sunday. update day. another update of just college work, i'm afraid... *sigh* should have all my college work finished by the end of next week though...! fingers crossed, haha.

some costume concepts for a warrior character, another oil portrait, the process and a w.i.p portrait that's currently sitting in college. i know the last one is riddled with flaws and mistakes, gonna try and fix them up a bit, but atm i'm just churning this stuff out to get it over with.

Thanks
    Finally finished ALL of my college work... finally D: imsohappy.
    i'm gonna increase activity on here very soon, maybe not this week as its still pretty busy (tying up loose ends at college, writing evalutions, artist statements, preparing for the exhibition, 3 full days at work, a trip into manchester, doctors appointments, and hopefully i'll finally get some time to chill...); but by next week definitely.

last of the college work:

some quick and crappy face studies; done in green acrylic paint since i have loads of cheap stuff i wanna get rid of. had to desaturate it to make it read remotely well. i just miss studying, properly learning, so goddamn much. im so rustyy

and some minecraft shoes that have been sitting around forever, that i finally managed to finish as a thankyou for someone.

Thanks
    Screw taking the week off, getting with the regular updates now!

Getting back to arting what I want/feel I need to art feeels soooo goood.

Bridgeman/photo-reffed legs. My anatomy needs an almighty hammering, starting now.

self portrait from life.

aaaand some scribbles and plans from a very slow sunday shift at work.

happy happy happy!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jess, great update!
    Really digging your self portrait, those delicious colors! Oh, teach me great master (no really, teach me how you did it).
    Cheers!
    Keep the work flowing

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast