Career Choices
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Career Choices

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Career Choices

Sorry if this is in the wrong section !!

Hello, this is my first post as you can see,
    Been looking at the art on this site for sometime all really great!

I'm only young, however the only thing I have ever been good at is art so I decided it would lead me into a career in life, so now
    I am studying grahpic design. I did my first year with no issue, creating visuals is very easy, but I understand that is not all there is to it.

I am now currently in my second year, and when I get assigned a brief which is the assignment I will usually doodle out ideas and thoughts
    that are in my head to get everything that comes to me first on paper, it appears as though I'm about the only one in the class to do this is
    this unusal, because I don't think it is?

Today I was asked to get ideas to me, I interpret that as draw down some ideas onto paper, visualize a rough direction of were you are
    wanting to go with the design, so thats obviously what I did.
    As I was doing this I was told with emphasis Get Ideas!! I thought oh well shit what do you want me to do? So i wrote down the names
    of what I drew and he was happy with that saying thats it, it took you half an hour to get some ideas!
    But the thing was I had drawn out the ideas they just didn't have words next to them explaining to you what they are, am I using bad design
    practice and just have not been told until now or is there nothing wrong with the way I brainstorm ideas?

It doesn't seem like a big issue, but at the moment it's effecting my grades and I am constently being told, you are doing Graphic Design
    not Visual Arts but to be honest I don't see how I am doing much differently besides the way I brainstorm my ideas.

Any suggestions/opinions/constructive criticism on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chasemiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasemiles View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section !!

Hello, this is my first post as you can see,
    Been looking at the art on this site for sometime all really great!

I'm only young, however the only thing I have ever been good at is art so I decided it would lead me into a career in life, so now
    I am studying grahpic design. I did my first year with no issue, creating visuals is very easy, but I understand that is not all there is to it.

I am now currently in my second year, and when I get assigned a brief which is the assignment I will usually doodle out ideas and thoughts
    that are in my head to get everything that comes to me first on paper, it appears as though I'm about the only one in the class to do this is
    this unusal, because I don't think it is?

Today I was asked to get ideas to me, I interpret that as draw down some ideas onto paper, visualize a rough direction of were you are
    wanting to go with the design, so thats obviously what I did.
    As I was doing this I was told with emphasis Get Ideas!! I thought oh well shit what do you want me to do? So i wrote down the names
    of what I drew and he was happy with that saying thats it, it took you half an hour to get some ideas!
    But the thing was I had drawn out the ideas they just didn't have words next to them explaining to you what they are, am I using bad design
    practice and just have not been told until now or is there nothing wrong with the way I brainstorm ideas?

It doesn't seem like a big issue, but at the moment it's effecting my grades and I am constently being told, you are doing Graphic Design
    not Visual Arts but to be honest I don't see how I am doing much differently besides the way I brainstorm my ideas.

Any suggestions/opinions/constructive criticism on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    My current graphic design teacher recently reminded us (who're his students in the graphic design course), that we're in the class to learn graphic design, not (fine) arts. He talks about using words and mind-maps to get down ideas too.

IMHO, graphic design is not exactly visual arts.
    You don't need to learn to draw well and you don't need to learn the human figure if you want to be a graphic designer. In graphic design, the most critical thing is not drawing skills but understanding consumers' mindset and then coming up with a visual design to cater to that mindset and get the idea cross, to get $$$. At least that's what I've been taught so far (graphic design = marketing + some visuals).

A lot of beginners (myself included) thought that graphic design = lots of drawing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I first applied to colleges, I thought "Graphic Design" was the major I wanted, but it turned out that what I was really thinking of was "Illustration".

Graphic Design generally focuses on design and typography, not drawing. Coming up with "concepts" in graphic design usually seems to refer to coming up with ideas rather than drawing anything, and the "ideas" can be nebulous ideas involving message, brand identity or overall look-and-feel... rather than ideas for specific designs or images.

Most of the graphic designers I know can't draw at all, and never need to (though they can do excellent design.)

In Illustration, it's ALL about drawing and creating images, and coming up with "concepts" involves doing sketches of ideas - probably similar to what you've been doing.

If you really want to draw and make images, maybe you want a major like Illustration, not Graphic Design. (Your school may call it something different - perhaps "Visual Arts" is the same as "Illustration"?) If you want to do something more specific like cartooning or animation, there may be a major for that, depending on your school.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

At first, you know the reason why you choose that course, if getting Idea's is your problem. Find peace with your heart and mind and search it with your soul. You are just too young but definitely if you choose the right path things will be better always remember not all the time artist can think of great ideas out of every demand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My instructors at Ringling always told us that the ideal illustrator can also design, and the ideal designer can also draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the purposes of thumbnails is to communicate to the client a series of options on how you might like to proceed with the project. These are ideas. Text helps this communication when the sketchy nature of a thumbnail or the quality of your sketch is too hard for the client to interpret.

In graphic design school, your instructor is always your client or your art director. If he needs text to understand your ideas, then use text.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.