Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best software for animating in 2D?

Thanks
    I just learned audio cannot be imported into Photoshop cs3 extended.I am trying to animate a girls lips to mouth the words of a song.Man,thats so not cool and its such an awesome animating software.I really hate the way Flash looks and After effects isn't very cool for drawing.Photoshop is.

I found this video and it was done in Flash.Its one of the best animations in terms of graphics when it comes to Flash.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNGUdBG6Kkc

ADOBE,if you ever by chance get to read this,pls add audio and scale and rotate tweening.Jeez,why didn't they add these features in Photoshop CS5?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melviso View Post
    why didn't they add these features in Photoshop CS5?
    Because Photoshop was never meant for animation. It's quite a bloated piece of software as it is.

Despite a lot of hate, Flash is actually the most accessible piece of 2D animation software.

What a lot of new comers to animation don't realize is that animation generally isn't created in a single application.
    There's the production stage where all the raw animation is drawn (hand drawn, Flash, Toon Boom, etc) and is then taken into post production where the picture quality is refined and special effects added (After Effects, Fusion, etc).

To the previous members who have mentioned a dislike for the 'puppet look' of Flash, that's because it's exactly what it is. Puppet animation. This is not a limitation, but a feature of the software that allows animation to be executed quickly, for projects on a budget (or those who don't have training in classical animation).
    Frame-by-frame animation is entirely possible in Flash, and regardless of what software you use, the principles will remain the same.

Thanks
    I know ..thats why these things should be added in CS6.They cannot ignore how awesome this software could become.
    I tried using Flash and I hated its appearance,the bucket tool is not as good as Photoshop and you can't lock a layer and colour it so the line art colour doesn't leave the line.The selection tool in Photoshop is way easier and cool.

Truth be told,Photoshop has a huge potential as an animation software,though I do know some people animate in Flash and do the colouring in Photoshop.I have been animating in Photoshop and damn does it look good especially the effects.I dare say it looks better than After Effects.

Thanks
    lots of intersting info in this thread... i didn't know about many of these animation software. nor that anybody actually used Photoshop for animating anything other than web banners.

As for the Brackenwood series (Little Foot and so on):
    the first ones were done in Flash, the animator then switched to ToonBoom for the later ones. In terms of animation quality though I don't think you'd be able to see a difference, he seems to prefer toonboom and say its more animator friendly and has more useful features for animators. Ive used flash for years, I havn't used toonboom before but I wouldnt be surprised to see if it was actually quite a lot better than flash. you can do quite a lot in flash but you have to go out of your way quite a bit. it could be so much more userfriendly for the animator, recently theyve just been added developer features. i think the only recent addition for animators was the darned IK puppet tools which we want to get away from, LOL.

Id get a look at Toonboom, ive never used it but I imagine it would be the closest to some sort of "photoshop but for animation", after flash.

and I didnt know you could use Aftereffects to draw in! vector support? wow. i thought it was only for post work....
    so anything that can be done in flash can be done in AE? maybe i should switch...

Thanks
    A lot of animators use Photoshop for animations.Anime like Bleach and Naruto are made with Photoshop(I think) thats why they don't look like Flash animations.I remember watching Avengers,the new series on Disney and I think it has Flash written all over it.
    Thats the beauty with Asian animations.They take their time and ensure their work are of the highest quality possible.I have heard here and there about Toon Boom,also heard of Digicel Flipbook.I just like Photoshop cause of its graphics capabilities.Its an awesome painting and drawing software.Its what most graphic artists use,next to Corel Draw.Wouldn't it be great if an artist who uses Photoshop to paint and decides to learn 2d animation can use the same software since he is already familiar with its awesomeness?

Hated the damn IK stuff in Flash.
    About After Effects,I am not sure whether it supports vector drawings.I think it does.AE and Flash are kinda similar animation wise but I haven't used them much so I wouldn't know.
    Yeah,I tried drawing in AE but its kinda all over the place,and the drawing tools especially Brush features aren't like Photoshop

That's what I love about Photoshop-The brushes,the way you can create custom brushes by tweaking different settings,the awesome adjustment features and filters.Where else can you get such awesomeness while drawing and animating?Flash?After Effects?I don't think so.

Thanks
    New animation with music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVvIKoLka0.

Trying to make my animations more fluid.Need to work harder.

Thanks
    Anime studio pro 7 is great all in one software for animation.

Thanks
    Flipbook combined later with Photoshop and After Effects is what I've heard most professionals in the West use. Digicell Flipbook is used for lineart animation, then Photoshop for the color and After Effects for final tweaking.

Thanks
    we use flipbook for linetest XD

Thanks
    i prefer AE only because I feel like you can always tell when something is done in flash...they always just end up looking like something from atomfilms.com....which they all use flash

Thanks
    @Drawn2Life

Wait..you use AE only?for animating,lineart,colouring?

Thanks
    ONE WORD DigiCel Here the link http://www.digicelinc.com/flipbook_lite.htm Get this it's an all in one animation software even the cheapest digicel software can bang out animations compare to the cheapest version of ToobBoom. Also the most advance Digicel animation software can do all the hard work the big time software flash and Tvpaint but still way cheaper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yogoma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Checked out the website.Why does the ProHD version have 2048 X 1536 as its maximum resolution?I understand you have to work in about 3 or 2 times the target resolution and resize to the target resolution for your animations to look smoother and sharper like Naruto and Bleach.I usually work in 3200 x 1688 px before resizing to 1280 X 720 pixels in Photoshop or is there some special feature in Digicel?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast