Art: Which is the best software for animating in 2D? - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of animators use Photoshop for animations.Anime like Bleach and Naruto are made with Photoshop(I think) thats why they don't look like Flash animations.I remember watching Avengers,the new series on Disney and I think it has Flash written all over it.
    Thats the beauty with Asian animations.They take their time and ensure their work are of the highest quality possible.I have heard here and there about Toon Boom,also heard of Digicel Flipbook.I just like Photoshop cause of its graphics capabilities.Its an awesome painting and drawing software.Its what most graphic artists use,next to Corel Draw.Wouldn't it be great if an artist who uses Photoshop to paint and decides to learn 2d animation can use the same software since he is already familiar with its awesomeness?

Hated the damn IK stuff in Flash.
    About After Effects,I am not sure whether it supports vector drawings.I think it does.AE and Flash are kinda similar animation wise but I haven't used them much so I wouldn't know.
    Yeah,I tried drawing in AE but its kinda all over the place,and the drawing tools especially Brush features aren't like Photoshop

That's what I love about Photoshop-The brushes,the way you can create custom brushes by tweaking different settings,the awesome adjustment features and filters.Where else can you get such awesomeness while drawing and animating?Flash?After Effects?I don't think so.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New animation with music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVvIKoLka0.

Trying to make my animations more fluid.Need to work harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anime studio pro 7 is great all in one software for animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flipbook combined later with Photoshop and After Effects is what I've heard most professionals in the West use. Digicell Flipbook is used for lineart animation, then Photoshop for the color and After Effects for final tweaking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we use flipbook for linetest XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i prefer AE only because I feel like you can always tell when something is done in flash...they always just end up looking like something from atomfilms.com....which they all use flash

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Drawn2Life

Wait..you use AE only?for animating,lineart,colouring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ONE WORD DigiCel Here the link http://www.digicelinc.com/flipbook_lite.htm Get this it's an all in one animation software even the cheapest digicel software can bang out animations compare to the cheapest version of ToobBoom. Also the most advance Digicel animation software can do all the hard work the big time software flash and Tvpaint but still way cheaper.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yogoma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checked out the website.Why does the ProHD version have 2048 X 1536 as its maximum resolution?I understand you have to work in about 3 or 2 times the target resolution and resize to the target resolution for your animations to look smoother and sharper like Naruto and Bleach.I usually work in 3200 x 1688 px before resizing to 1280 X 720 pixels in Photoshop or is there some special feature in Digicel?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Melviso, if you tried to animate an entire episode of animation in Photoshop, with multiple layers and camera movements, I think you'll find it to be extremely exhausting.

AFAIK, a lot of Japanese studios use a animation suite called RETAS Pro.

Digicel is a nice little program usually used for pencil tests but works quite well for simple animations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just started using Flash for my animations,wanna try it out and I want to ask if one can create custom brushes in Flash like Photoshop?

Also I imported an embeded video avi into Flash and I want to reduce the opacity of the video so I can create a new layer over it and draw over the frames with the video as reference.I dragged the movie into the stage and converted to movie clip and reduced the opacity but its not showing on the stage when I go to the part of the video I want to draw over.

I am using Flash CS3.

BTW,why isn't the bucket tool & selection tool like Photoshop?It makes shading colours problematic?or is it because its vector?

I wanna thank everyone for all the tips,advice and arguments we have had.I have really improved and learned a lot.Really hope someone can help me with these questions.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBodinof View Post
    hey guys, since this is a relevant topic, I just wanted to let you all know that I just launched a website where I offer video tutorials on how to create rich character animation in flash. I'd love for you all to check it out and let me know what you think! Its at animationsamurai.com

Hope you guys can gain something from it!
    OMG...those drawings.Were they done in Flash?Really cool!!!
    Are those tutorial videos available on youtube?Vimeo isn't playing for me.

Last edited by melviso; January 4th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by melviso View Post
    Also I imported an embeded video avi into Flash and I want to reduce the opacity of the video so I can create a new layer over it and draw over the frames with the video as reference.I dragged the movie into the stage and converted to movie clip and reduced the opacity but its not showing on the stage when I go to the part of the video I want to draw over
    Select it and convert into a symbol ( F8 ). Go to object properties>drop-down box>alpha.

BTW,why isn't the bucket tool & selection tool like Photoshop?It makes shading colours problematic?or is it because its vector?
    Not sure what you mean here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    any software will do. most of the 2d animations that we see are mix products of different softwares.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Animation.../dp/1858943655
    that book that i found gives you samples of different kinds of animation and tells the process and softwares used in making them.

IMHO, instead of picking out what kind of software, newbies in animation should concentrate in learning to animate (PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION AND FIGURE DRAWING) first of all. I realized this phenomenon in my school (animation student btw) that lots of my schoolmates uses that and that kind of program yet their stuff isn't of good-quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, for basic 2D animation, Flash is your man (or program, or whatever ). If you want to add a little more juice to your animated drawn frames, then I usually draw them in Photoshop, and import them into Flash afterwards.

If you want to edit the video afterwards for special effects and stuff, then Adobe After Effect is my number one program.

Of course, you could give yourself a challenge and draw all the frames in Paint and put them together in Movie Maker (That was how my first ever animation was done... it was terrible to say the least O.o).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks,Hunterkiller.
    Thats what I did.I converted it to a movie clip and went to properties to turn the alpha down.When I click Test movie.The opacity is reduced but when I go to the part I want to draw over,the stage goes to full opacity.I take it whatever property changes one makes to a movie clip does not reflect on the stage,only when u play the movie so I just created a new layer over the layer containing the embeded video and place a rectangle filled with white colour,made it into graphic symbol and turned the opacity down.Problem solved.

New problem:
    Flash CS3.
    I have finished animating a sequence converted it to a movie clip.Now I want to animate a zoom-in into the clip as wind blows and the trees move.I created a scale tween.The problem is the zoom in becomes very choppy like there is a drastic frame rate drop whenever I test the movie.I am working with 10fps.I tried exporting it as a movie as Flash might be having problems playing the clip cause its too heavy(added filters like blur,colour adjustments to the layers in movie clip).Same choopy zoom in.Is it because the clip has a good number of filters applied to it because if thats the problem,when the video is exported from flash and played with an external video player.It should run smoothly but that's not the case.

Also,when I export movie as avi,the video does not play on even vlc or quicktime.
    Pls,I would appreciate some suggestions.I am enjoying using this software and I am not happy with this problem or is there something I am doing wrong?Flash should be able to play videos with filters even Photoshop plays very well when tons of filters and effects are added.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have finished animating a sequence converted it to a movie clip.Now I want to animate a zoom-in into the clip as wind blows and the trees move.I created a scale tween.The problem is the zoom in becomes very choppy like there is a drastic frame rate drop whenever I test the movie.I am working with 10fps.
    Have you tried a higher frame rate?
    10fps is very low and camera moves often require higher fps's to remain smooth, depending on how fast the move is.

Obviously there's a limited amount of frames to distribute within each second, so when you have a fast camera movement, the positions between the content in each frame is stretched out further, to a point where they no longer retain the illusion of smooth movement.

But it could just be that your hardware can't keep up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Huntkiller.
    I read in the help that using a good number of filters can affect swf playback performance.So I imported the video into Adobe Premiere and it plays fine.So I will be using Premiere to test the video if its heavy though I can't figure out why Flash can't play a clip with a good number of filters.Photoshop animation window plays with a lot of effects.When the scrubbing playback skips in Photoshop,I export the video as an avi and play with vlc and it plays fine so why does the video I export from Flash still skip after exporting the video as quicktime format or with the vlc player?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flash can't handle the filters because they're raster (pixels) and Flash is only made to deal with vectors.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, animation productions are usually done in separate stages in different software for this exact reason.

Flash or many other animation programs can't deal with fancy effects.
    You'll find that in any animation production, the effects are done after the raw animation and in a dedicated software (After effects, Fusion, etc).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ! Great news for 2d animation people. Plastic Animation Papar program (PAP Pro 4.0) has been recently released for free. I didn't really expect they would do this beacause it's pretty professional piece of software. I played with it long time ago and it has lots of nice options. It focuses only on linework

http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/

Last edited by Farvus; February 3rd, 2011 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flash for simple yet advanced animations
    toon boom for the above plus far more features and controls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for all the info.
    Pls,can anyone recommend a software that contains a huge library of sound effects like explosion sounds,lightning sounds,walking and running footsteps,sword clashing sounds.fire crackling sounds etc.
    From this,you can guess I am working on an animated fight scene for practice.
    I have heard of Audacity.Does this software contain library of sounds or just for editing sound and creating sound effects.
    I have tried Fruity Loops and it does not contain all these sounds .

Thanks.Will really appreciate suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not so sure you'll find a specific piece of software with a particularly big library of sounds. You're probably best off just search on Google for some free sound effect sites, there's quite a few and most of them are relatively easy to use with previews of the sounds available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fier Forjat

Fier Forjat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Smashed_Pumpkin

Thanks,can u suggest to me any good website where sounds can be downloaded?

BTW,guys.Here is a new animation video I did recently.I used Adobe Flash and I must confess its easier and faster than Photoshop.Its a fan animation of FFXIII characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPRqb-UDC0

Hoping to get better at animating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adam Phillips' "Little foot" Was done in Flash. His newer work is in Toomboom.
    The Princess and the Frog was animated classically, but was cleaned and coloured in Toomboom Harmony.

In my opinion Toonboom is the best 2D software availible. Unfortunately the cost reflects it's amazingness. It's close to impossible to pirate.
    If anyone's interested in working as a 2D animator professionally they should at least download the learning addition of this software and learn how to use it.

Flash is the next best software. It's really easy to pirate, and much cheaper to buy legit if your planning on going pro. Lots of tutorials and resources online for it.

for finding sounds-- like others I' hit up google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    In my opinion Toonboom is the best 2D software availible. Unfortunately the cost reflects it's amazingness. It's close to impossible to pirate.
    I wouldnt say that ;p

But yes, it is awesome. Took me a bit to get used to it coming from the Flash interface. Havent made anything worth putting up on TB, hopefully soon though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Rhubix, toonboom is great! But it's much to complex for someone just getting into animation. There's a e-learning version (no time or tool limit, but you can only work in low-rez format and anything you export will be watermarked, you can buy it after and transfer your animation either) of their software that comes with a huge pdf... But learning it on your own will be a challenge. Toon boom does have a home suite for begins that are a lot less costly and easier to learn... though in the end, you only need one thing; Frames that are displayed at a regular interval... After that, you're the one who makes it good or bad animation really.

edit: I'm also very doubtful any tv series is animated in photoshop (though backgrounds are often painted in it). Can I ask how you learned they were done in PS? I would have though they'd use an animation software, or even their own, in-house tools.

Last edited by freiheit; April 26th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will try and get Toon Boom trial version and see if its better than Flash.

Photoshop has never been used for tv animations.I am no longer using Photshop.It takes time and makes animations difficult.I know that now.
    Flash is so much faster and better.

If you want very thin lines in Flash,use the pencil tool with hairline not solid.Export in png at abut 6000 px and resize to 1280 px.The line will be very thin.

For animes like Naruto and Bleach.I understand Retas Pro was used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The most successful independent animators I've met have always used a a mixture of programs - never just one thing. (And note: I'm not talking about puppeting, this is for full and/or limited animation).
    Like, for example, roughs in flash, then clean up and color in photoshop.
    Or roughs in flip book, cleanup in photoshop, color in flip book
    Or roughs in flash, cleanup in toon boom and color in photoshop
    And some of you are saying that you can animate straight into After Effects? Jesus I would shoot myself. Leave AE to compositing and editing, that's it.

Everyone has their own way to balance these things, you just have to find out what works best for you.

Personally I'll always be a pencil/paper kinda person but I have to use these programs on a daily basis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2