crits / advice my art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits / advice my art

Hey guys, it's my first real post here. Nice to meetcha.

Anyway... I've been thinking a lot about my art lately. I'm not sure where i fit in anymore. I do a lot of anime/manga styled art. I wouldn't consider myself to horrible, like most of the horrible weaboo art you find on deviant art. I also wouldn't consider myself that great of an artist, either. Just sort of decent. I think most people, like me, end up getting to this point where they feel the need to KILL their Eastern influence. Stomp it out, so they can be this TRUE artist. I don't feel that way.

I feel like I will always have a few manga styled pieces around. I can do other styles. I still consider myself a serious artist, but I feel my art should take a new direction. I'm disillusioned with deviant art, I hate that place. That's where you come in CA. Where do I go from here? As a first step, i've decided to jump on the bandwagon and start selling my art. Doing commissions for other people. What do you think about my last pieces? What direction should I take? I've been doing fanart lately, because people seem to respond. But I usually do my own stuff or things for other people. What should I try next?

crits / advice my art
    This is my attempt to do a well known character in a more realistic style. I normally don't draw things quite this way. It was a little out of my comfort zone to be honest. The background was created using several stock resources.

crits / advice my art
    This is another piece of fanart. I used canon designs to create a new design for a little known character of the series. This is normally how I draw things. A full body pose, simple background, shoujo style. Background was created by me from a lot of stock resources.

Mishi's Sketchbook - http://mishi-sketch.tumblr.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, my first thoughts on your work, use stronger colors, in reference to contrast, that will really make your work pop. The planes of the face on the first painting looks good, but it fails to come off as realistic because your color values are off, I would suggest looking up some tutorials on color theory, there are some good ones on CA. And don't be afraid of making your darks darker and your lights lighter. As for the other peice, I would stay away from flat colors, because I mean anyone can do flat colors, and it makes your work look dull and uninteresting, if you really want to have your paintings pop and shine I would reccomend adding depth, good composition, and interesting situations, instead of here is a character on a uninspired background. You're off to a good start, and welcome to CA! I hope I helped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your new style works, although you're going to need to check against reference for those sleeves... Was Usagi based off of a particular portrait/pose?

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woot! Keep jumping out of your comfort zone - it's the only way to really get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Was Usagi based off of a particular portrait/pose?
    Yes, this is based off a challenging pose I wanted to try. The rings of her gloves/bodice were very tough to do. I redrew them several times, but if they still look off that doesn't surprise me. >_<

Mishi's Sketchbook - http://mishi-sketch.tumblr.com

Members who have read this thread: 1