Critique please! Any feedback welcome!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique please! Any feedback welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique please! Any feedback welcome!

Hello, this is my first piece up for critique in this forum and I would love any advice or suggestions.

I'm still working on it, but I think I've dug myself into a hole with this piece because I started without any thumbnails. The lighting needs work and I would love criticisms that point out specific areas.

This piece was originally inspired by the artist Lois van Baarle and her "octi-pack" piece.

Last edited by 2002; November 7th, 2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: updating...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool art

i found the head of the character a bit ankward with proportions, especially with the hair volume, too short for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

My feeling is that the background is competing with the character now rather than supporting as a scene. Also show hands and feet with your character - its often a newbie cheat to avoid drawing the hands and feet.

I'd say finish off the character, and use lighting to make the rock formations work - perhaps receding into the darkness? Focus on composition to make the overall image work.

The rendering on the face and creature looks good to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to softocean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a very interesting start, but the character pose looks oddly stiff and unnatural. Maybe shift the body so it supports her better to justify her upright pose in the head and shoulders area.

Beyond that either push the detail in the rocks to make them more realistic with darker shadows, or leave them simple and just darken the overall background tones so the character pops more.

OR

Make the character a different color shade from the background, so that she stands out more.

The octopus looks fine, maybe add a little detail and contrast (although since this is still an in-progress piece, you were probably gonna get to that sooner or later.)

Typed more than I expected to there...

Please visit "The Shuttered City" webcomic at: www.LucreComics.com

To see my portfolio and other related artwork, please stop by: http://lucre.carbonmade.com/

My DeviantArt page: http://benjamin-the-fox.deviantart.com/[/url]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it needs more colour contrast. Red on the octopus to make it stand out and draw the attention to it, blue in the background. Right now the image is seemingly made up of similar tones except the bright blue on the octopus, which is eye-catchy. Because there is barely any colour contrast, the focus now goes to where the values stand out, which is the shell kind of thing above the girl first, then the girl's leg and the octopus. The detail in the background is also quite distracting, as softocean pointed out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What you said - lighting needs work.

That is, it needs a clear light source. Figure out where the light source is, and what shadows it makes. Then it will still be absolutely salvageable.

As for thumbnails - you can do those even after you started painting, have you thought of that? You can take a detour and make quick thumbnail tests to figure out lighting just fine. There is no fixed protocol to follow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, the piece is quite good, try not to ruin it by searching for realism. In this case if you did it with traditional mediums you would be done with it, i think. Now there is still lot of surfaces where the photoshop brushes are visible. Maybe try to add some texture brush but very carefully.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As others have mentioned, you need to improve your contrast of values. Use value to your advantage to direct the viewer's eye to where you want them to look first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would have to agree with the above comments, not sure there is much I can add however I would agree with messing with the value ranges, mainly to pop the character from the background, maybe make her slightly darker and push the bg lighter. Still though, lovely details, nice work

-HG

-Geared up Dave!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.