if you havnt already you should try to study some Bridgman and Loomis
    looking forward to seeing more
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA - thanks for the reply! I have read a couple of Loomis books and Bridgemann books about figure construction but I think your advice seems like a good excuse to revisit some of it next sketch session I need to work on my lines.

Most of what I have posted so far is from Still life painting and observational drawing classes where I was using more of a comparative measuring method, which is probably more suitable for portraits but I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out in what circumstance one would use more of a direct line or tonal approach to drawing versus a construction based approach. I feel like I'm really trying to wrap my head around drawing lately which is tough..

In any case here is a final line drawing and value study for a pen and ink illustration I am working on in class, ill post the final when its finished let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by bpic; November 24th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies, as for the spider piece at the value study the guy in the white suit doesn't stand out to me, maybe put a little more contrast in him or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops heres the image..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Bridgman studies and hands. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow!!!!!!!!!
    i love the spider attack!!!!
    keep going

learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo Brent. Nice to see another RMCAD dude here. Thought Dana and I were the only ones. :]

Keep up the good work, the studies are serving you well. Dave's classes are good, he will give great insight. And Larry is a master with color, so pay attention to him too.

Keep posting!

Phil Lietz
    www.phillietz.blogspot.com
    www.phillietz.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phizpietl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, been awhile since I have posted but I have been keeping busy!

Phil - thanks for the comment man especially since I look to your thread for inspiration a LOT. I will definitely take your advice on that :> I have both of them for summer classes. Good to hear from you.

Worked through all Loomis and Bridgman books these past few weeks as was suggested. Here are some recent master copies from sargent and rembrandt and drawings from the sketchbook. Also a sketch for a class project. Ill post more tomorrow if I can find a decent camera (too big for scanner).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sargent copy is very good. the quick sketches pretty decent I think the only way to get good, elegant quick sketches is probably just years of exp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xxshadowedsoulxx - yeah for sure, cant wait till I get done with school so I can just build the xp everyday rather than waste my time learning some of the crap they teach.

Thanks for the comments!

Here are some things I painted for my practice website for a class. The ground beef label was cut and pasted.. because im lazy. Hand is all painted from mind.

Last edited by bpic; November 24th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update.. WIPS and sketchbook and some quicker figure paintings from class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God damn, I need to up my game here. Fantastic work Brent. I had no idea that clayboard sniper/fox piece was yours, but I remember seeing it up on the wall in Hughes class. Great job my friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been really busy lately with summer classes, but here are some sketchbook pages hopefully they will fill the rest of this page so I dont have to look at it anymore. Thanks for the comment Dillion, you should definately make a sketchbook so im not out here all alone lol. See ya monday man.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god. As if it weren't bad enough that you push your comp. studies farther than everyone else in PENCIL. You had to sharpie/paint a whole news broadcast.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to S3CTR4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol your tone made me laugh so hard. Can't wait to see your sketchbook! grats on starting one up man. Heres a cast study, wish I had more time to work on it but i got some basics established and ill do some more casts. had to scan it in, not that the original looks any better. *spat*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This whole spitting habit of yours is going to turn your paper into mush!!

This is FANTASTIC man. I think the only thing I'd try and mess with are the edges of the shadows. In this hatchy style you have they work fine, only because it needs to stay consistent throughout. But I bet you'd absolutely MURDER your next study with some graphite powder or charcoal brushing, by keeping those edges nice and soft.

Great work as always man. How big is that?

::EDIT::
    Ahhh. Never mind. I re-read your quote. Great basic study. Perfection in simplicity

Last edited by S3CTR4; June 28th, 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: re-read quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha thanks man, I agree though. Just because it was a study doesn't mean I should feel free to half ass on things, ill remember that next cast thanks for the crit. In the meantime here is a WIP for a class. I am leaning towards the green version because I feel it gives more a place to rest the eye. Also playing with putting some banners in for the army, let me know what you think!! Im working really hard on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think i'm liking that green too. But it feels a bit detached from the rest of the piece. Maybe try fading the darker value back into a warm maroon just to unify the color pallet. Don't forget to add a separate layer of "glow" on the central figures eyes/headpiece for effect

Piece is coming together great man. Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For sure will add some reds to the background and more greens to foreground, I want the large figure to read somewhat seperately so I might not do a lot there, except for OF COURSE some glow effect Heres some short pose figurative work from so far this semester.. pretty embarassing but some crits would be GREAT. I definately need some work.... And also I put in a quick painting from class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see you continue to experiment with drawing styles. I thinks it's most apparent in your application of value. You seem to go back and forth between outlining your body shadows before you fill in with darks, or using the contour of the figure to describe your lines. I think in either case, you achieve a hatchy style, which is completely understandable because we don't get more longer than 10-20 min. per pose. But my personal taste leans towards this form:

You have a nice balance between continuous strokes, and broken strokes, but both follow the basic contours of the underlying form. You're also paying close attention to line weight, and thinning that out on the convex surfaces.

Even if you don't see the improvement, I can tell you're focusing on experimentation, and you're not going to settle on a style till you learn to appreciate your work. So keep trying out new techniques, takes bits and pieces from each and make it your own. I think when that happens you'll stop spitting on your newsprint

P.S. The color/temperatures your choosing for your paintings are exquisite IMO. I just feel the background in the one you've posted here is too distracting. The color composition is good, but those hard spazzy edges draw me away from the smoother curves of the figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' good man! You should try this again with a toned background and see what kinda nonsense you can pull out of the highlights and accents. Might save you time in the long run in case you accidentally forget to save

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill have to try that out on the next one. Which will be soon! In the meantime heres a couple sketchbook pages from today and a figure painting from todays session. Didn't get to finish it, but meh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AND a speed painting. Not sure exactly where it came from, used the blod method. Night CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything is looking really great thanks for posting in my sketchbook keep up those sketchbook drawings of people you see when yor out and about. My teacher always said it would make me improve the fastest i really cant get to grips with drawing randoms though lol you however have a done a great job with them and keep up those bridgeman studies your doing wonderful and your progress will be a fantastic sight for me to see when your SB gets more full

I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all. I took your advice and did some sketching today from the zoo. Heres a couple gesture pages. And some line drawings.. too embarassed to show the rest. Gonna start this new drawing program I made for myself tomorrow since I just filled up the moleskin tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you brent. Damn you straight to hell. Great gestures today and even better character sketches. You're going places. And Steve & I will be there to wipe the dust from the path ahead of you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I like this sketchbook. You've got a really solid draftsmanship and style. I like the sketches of soldiers with one critique about the american (with the faces and poses(by the way, great expressions all around)) that the rifle seems to be slung over his neck thereby choking him in the view from the back. I'm looking forward to see more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellbeard - thank you, im trying. I see what you mean about the soldier. I should start drawing through things more to avoid that kind of crap and I should start making sure things like straps and fabric are wrapping around the forms of the body correctly. Don't you have a SB thread?!?!?

Parsakoira - thanks!! I feel happier with my ink work than pencil for some reason. Your SB is awesome

The Original [E] - thanks for the comments. I see what you mean with the digital work now. How do you think I can counter that? Just pay more attention to brush work? I have been in kind of a funk lately with painting for some reason lol so hopefully I can work through it. I hate these moments. Ill keep posting for sure.

Aveh - thanks for stopping by again. I see what you mean about the goal. I guess the goal for me was just to build a visual library, practice technique, and attempt to learn the digital painting process since I only started using photoshop as a painting program recently and I am a noob at it. Eventually I would like to be able to do speed paints of my own designs, but I just don't know I am at that level.

Here is some more crap this time from the sketchbook, just me trying to understand how things are designed more so I can invent new things. I got a couple nice oil paintings to show when I can get a camera to them. Thanks for looking!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all. Since Aveh brought up a good point about having a purposeful set of studies, I decided to do a referenced study of metal armor mainly for an understanding of metal material. It led to some interesting patterns of multiple light sources affecting the metal according to different planes. It is rather obvious and I hate to state the obvious, but hopefully it helps some people out in some way. If not it certainly helped me out. I plan on doing this sort of study now basically every time I do a study from life, because come to think of it whats the point of doing a STUDY if your not STUDYing? Thanks for looking.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1