Sketchbook: - another sketchbook - - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: - another sketchbook -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so we have to wait for like half a year for new stuff ? aww... well i guess i'm not one to complain
    Anyway, I hope it's going to be worth it
    and i'm glad I was of some help

p.s. if you still want to see my scetchbook: it's linked now ^^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No reason for you to stop posting until you do something really nice and polished, this is a sketchbook section after all, I really enjoy seeing peoples process work, gives me a better insight to their actual knowledge and processes. That being said, i really enjoyed my trip through your sketchbook, your pencil and ink works are some of my favorite, and i really admire the amount of different studies you do too, from the muscle studies, to the life drawings, to the digi-paints. You make me want to work harder knowing there's people like you who will be graduating at the same time as me.

Solid work, i really hope to see more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all. So I couldn't resist the urge to post seeing all the sweet sketchbooks around lately.

raminafshari - Hey thanks for stopping by!

Naivasha - Of course man, I will be checking out your SB after I upload and I wont make you wait half a year haha. I will start posting more.

AustenFM - Hey, thanks for visiting and thanks for the comment.. Your right, no reason to stop posting. This community inspires me so I will post when I get a chance from here on out im not THAT busy. Can't wait to see your SB after this.

So im three weeks or so into Fall semester here and have a LOT to show. Stay tuned as I am going to be working on writing a story and doing a bunch of concept art for it in order to work on developing some skills. Hope for lots of crits.

Last edited by bpic; November 24th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing great work man. You'll ave to break down that 4 and 5 point perspective lesson for me some day. I've always wondered how an artist can hit those points accurately. And the characters are coming along fantastic. Good silhouettes, nice stance, interesting story. Same with the landscapes. I can definitely see that flat square brush staple you implemented in your animal anatomy final last semester. Nice use of color, and it's only going to get richer and more pronounced as the semester progresses. Keep us updated!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, heres some more crap I decided to post since I had to scan them in anyway. A couple world war II guys that are very...... cartoony, and a character design I'm working on. Post more sooooon! Can't wait to start our little project Dylan, thanks for commenting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Little" project...? Haha. I think you've underestimated the magnitude of the situation...

Those silhouettes are GREAT man. Did you start with the black shapes and work out from there? Or did you block in the black shapes after you drew the line art?

As for the cartoony issue, I think (and i'm just speculating) what you've done is adopt the simple forms as part of your blocky style, but you don't leave enough room for softer edges in your value structure. I think i mentioned this before with the girl who had a bird pushing it's way out of her mouth. You started treating the hair like it was made out of clay, by simplifying the form but cutting in value based SOLELY on that form.

The major difference I see is in this last image you posted with the soldier reaching for his shoulder bag. He is the "least cartoony" of the bunch i think in part because his coat is so heavy and dense, it hides the standing figure underneath but at the same time looks natural. In most of the other figures, i think the clothing looks too simplified and/or made out of Playdoh. Interestingly enough I don't see this many of these issues with the silhouette page and the line work you portrayed with those two figures.

Have you checked these over with Steve or Raul yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya everyone. Just wanted to hop on and post some stuff I've had sitting on my desktop.

Dillion - Thanks for the crit and comments as usual. See ya tonight.

Thanks for stopping in everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moar stuff. Just trying to get better. Sigh.

Sorry I forgot to scale the spider down lol. Oh and the speed painting is a sargent copy. A sloppy one at that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so heres the spider thing again, resized. Anyway thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some speed paints from tonight. Ill probably keep doing these. Anything helps even if you want to tell me I suck and why. An hour a piece, first one is a Sargent copy the other is reffed off google images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another speed paint, ugh i suck. Fun though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speed paints are meant (in my eyes) to be a journey into color and composition. If story enters into the equation, so be it. But when you're working from imagination and only referencing your experiences, you're limited to what the mind can interpret with the hand. Add to that the fact that your creating a time crunch scenario and a speed painting becomes a testament to how fast you can think, not necessarily a presentation of what you KNOW.

Give them time. Keep these up. These are fun to look at, especially the Sargent copies. Definitely continue to work in tandem with your traditional piece for Barry's class and these two mediums will expand exponentially over the next few months.

P.S. We're starting up characters in Saturday's justice league meeting. Bring anything you think might help get us started, but in terms of format I think we're going over the main character and beginning silhouette scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stunning figure work here. Your speedpaints are ace, some very interesting compositions and bold use of color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found your book through the dude in your sketchgroup. You land on some great stuff compositional in your speed paints, especially like that first one in the last post.

I know how you felt wanting to really cover some ground in terms of learning in a set amount of time. Keep pushing yourself this hard and harder, and you will be cruuising. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aveh - thanks man! I hope so, sometimes I feel like im getting no where or I dont know what to do to get better or what I should be doing. Other times I feel progress.

Here is a speed paint from tonight reffed, one hour. I need to stop being lazy and scan in some sketchbook drawings, maybe soon .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speed painting from today, I think I am going to do some master copies to figure out how to use brushes and stuff better. Not sure I like the finish on this one.

Reffed, an hour and a half. I need to think more about laying in perspective and analyzing things I think. So I can do this shit without reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant find the reference for that one anywhere I hate that one. I was so nervous about doing something with it that I forgot to think about all the shit Barry is teaching me. So I did another which I think is much better and I learned a ton from it. I will post a link for the reference to this one.

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/..._Frankfurt.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies man.
    Kinda curious though, what are you trying to learn from doing these? They don't seem to have a focused goal. The last 3 at least

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pencil work is very good, as are your traditional paintings. Your digital work is a little rough, they'll get better in time judging from how good your traditional studies are. Keep posting!

Check out my sketchbook: Draw or Die

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I like this sketchbook. You've got a really solid draftsmanship and style. I like the sketches of soldiers with one critique about the american (with the faces and poses(by the way, great expressions all around)) that the rifle seems to be slung over his neck thereby choking him in the view from the back. I'm looking forward to see more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellbeard - thank you, im trying. I see what you mean about the soldier. I should start drawing through things more to avoid that kind of crap and I should start making sure things like straps and fabric are wrapping around the forms of the body correctly. Don't you have a SB thread?!?!?

Parsakoira - thanks!! I feel happier with my ink work than pencil for some reason. Your SB is awesome

The Original [E] - thanks for the comments. I see what you mean with the digital work now. How do you think I can counter that? Just pay more attention to brush work? I have been in kind of a funk lately with painting for some reason lol so hopefully I can work through it. I hate these moments. Ill keep posting for sure.

Aveh - thanks for stopping by again. I see what you mean about the goal. I guess the goal for me was just to build a visual library, practice technique, and attempt to learn the digital painting process since I only started using photoshop as a painting program recently and I am a noob at it. Eventually I would like to be able to do speed paints of my own designs, but I just don't know I am at that level.

Here is some more crap this time from the sketchbook, just me trying to understand how things are designed more so I can invent new things. I got a couple nice oil paintings to show when I can get a camera to them. Thanks for looking!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all. Since Aveh brought up a good point about having a purposeful set of studies, I decided to do a referenced study of metal armor mainly for an understanding of metal material. It led to some interesting patterns of multiple light sources affecting the metal according to different planes. It is rather obvious and I hate to state the obvious, but hopefully it helps some people out in some way. If not it certainly helped me out. I plan on doing this sort of study now basically every time I do a study from life, because come to think of it whats the point of doing a STUDY if your not STUDYing? Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you just started using digital? =\
    That kicks my ass, you're on a solid path in that case.

The knight in armor came out well, looks like you learned some stuff from it thats for sure.
    Now hurry and do something from your imagination and apply it. That's whats cements things for me, study a thing and then put the thing to use kinda deal.

One suggestion that I think would make your pieces and studies overall read a bit better, is really hit those edges. If something is a soft edge really make it soft, if its hard really sharpen that corner. Abusing edges really gets those forms to read.

I fail at it myself still but it's a good thing to push for lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aveh - Thanks for commenting. Yeah I just started using PS but I have done a lot of drawing and painting traditionally so its helping, but I like your work! Your right, I for sure would like to keep on this pattern. A study and a piece with no reference to really drill it in. Here is the knight with no ref. Sorry kinda shitty I had to do thanksgiving today so I didnt have a lot of time and I still need to draw. I tried to work on the edges too, but I need to do a better job.

Will post more of these soon! Thanks for visiting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rock study from today, the rock on the right is all reffed, rock on left is half. Noticed a lot of cool striping effects and had some fun following all the forms of ridges and so forth. I think I am going to rework that non reffed knight, he looks like shit.

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff man! i love the traditional work alot! and seems like digitals are improving as well! keep it up man!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks NickyBeats landscape in oils. Been working a lot more traditionally lately, tired of digital for now cuz I suck at it. Lol. Thanks for looking will post more oil paintings soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool lil oil painting. I miss oil painting, im sooo impatient with traditional mediums but oils are my favorite.

Sad to hear about the break from digital. if you jus started messin with it, you're doing better than ya think

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1