A bunch of my stuff

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A bunch of my stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A bunch of my stuff

Hello, I'm new to art and Conceptart.org. (I have a Deviantart as WestwallSpring) It would be very nice if you kind sirs give me advice for my pictures so that I may sharpen my skills.
    I'm using GIMP, and some people have told me the brush is too vague, and not sharp enough. This seems to be so, should I keep it or remedy it? If the latter, how would I go about doing so? Also I do need to learn more shading/proportion.
    I try to do this by scanning in a rough sketch, import the image to GIMP, remove white, and make it semi-transparent and paint under it in GIMP (of course the sketch is removed once its finished).

A bunch of my stuff
    (Soviet soldier in gasmask/greatcoat holding Fedorov Avtomat automatic rifle)

A bunch of my stuff
    (Soviet NCO wearing M1935 Gimnasterka and M40 helmet holding a PPSH-41 SMG in Stalingrad)

I will say this in advance, but thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by WestwallSpring; April 15th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
    westwallspring.deviantart.comウラァー
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know Gimp. But you should try to use a harder brush. Use one that isn't 'fuzzy' at the edges.

What I think you need to work on is values and form. Your stuff looks quite flat. Basically you learn form from drawing from life, but you should check out Andrew Loomis and Bridgemans books as they will teach about anatomy and construction. To get better values you should try to paint in black and white. If you want you can color it on an overlay layer afterwards.

You also need to work on your perspective. I have no idea what's going on in the background of any of those pictures. Is that some kind of mountain behind the first one? I understand there's a wall behind the guy in the second picture, but there's no place where the wall meets the ground.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any experience with Gimp, but welcome to CA! It's a great place to learn as an artist. I would echo the sentiment about the fuzzyness. Welcome again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, also, you are not showing a thumbnail. To get one, edit your post, go advanced, then upload your art directly to CA with the CA picture uploader. Then you'll have a thumbnail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @tobbA
    Thank you very much. I see how I screwed up big time for the wall, and the "mountains" were supposed to be smoke or something, but I guess it wasn't such good smoke
    I will try the books you have kindly pointed out, and I think I will try the black-and-white thing as well. I guess I should also try the non-fuzzy edges as well.

@Klaw
    Thank you very much for your advice on the thumbnail.
    Thank you

westwallspring.deviantart.comウラァー

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.