IDW #124: Space Police Suit - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • gwill50

    0 0%
  • tdbsr7

    1 1.67%
  • Migsta

    2 3.33%
  • Bagg

    0 0%
  • Miran

    0 0%
  • RogueToad

    1 1.67%
  • LordVenom

    0 0%
  • LORD M

    0 0%
  • trevor

    42 70.00%
  • Rambozo

    2 3.33%
  • Hideyoshi

    1 1.67%
  • resix

    0 0%
  • twentyone

    1 1.67%
  • silliKONe

    10 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Icon IDW #124: Space Police Suit - Voting

    IDW #124 Topic: Space Police Suit

    Deadline for voting: Sunday, April 25

    No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

    Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

    Original thread: IDW #124: Space Police Suit

    Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 2186
Size:  7.5 KB

    Last edited by yoitisi; April 18th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Entry

    Well here my first shott.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just a intergalactic space suit for The ISPD (InterStellar Police Department) Big guns for Big Punch.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 88 Times in 36 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    IDW 124

    Final!

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 89 Times in 78 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey guys here is my IDW...

    The galaxy is now another one of man's conquests, the majority of systems at the centre of the milky-way are inhabitable due to the massive force of gravity so mankind is limited to the outer spirals.
    these suits are a means of keeping raiders and other criminal ships from short cutting through these sectors trying to smuggle contraband.
    They are controlled from a vast distance using a quantum entanglement as a means of communication, and are boarded on special ships, classed; interceptors.
    The suits are used in place of humans as the fluctuating gravity fields can cause many adverse and even unknown complications to the human body, and prolonged exposure to such locations will inevitably lead to fatalities.

    hope you all like and good luck

    Name:  OGRE Final.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  347.2 KB

    SKETCHBOOK

    ----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

    "THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Suit up!

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Police Suit

    This is my First Final!!!

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Delft (The Netherlands)
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 90 Times in 76 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Cow

    My entry, sadly i was working this week and couldn't manage to make enough time for this.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,626
    Thanks
    3,340
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Meh, gave up on it, kinda unfinished. Don't like it, but I'll post it anyways.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

    My TUMBLR!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hotlanta GA
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 554 Times in 191 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    final
    it is a base model environmental suit with limited zero G combat capabilities
    but can easily be modified for multiple combat and riot control roles
    shown without weapon

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 111 Times in 54 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Was hopeing to add more decals, get a shot of this suit with the arms and legs folded-back in "orbital-decent mode", show the canister launchers I placed in the larger forearms, and, well... Buggered for time really. So this will be me !

    These units would typically be stowed in orbital stations waiting to be launched, and from there could reach any crisis zone, any given point on earth (or other chosen planets for that matter) in fifteen minutes or less. *no, they do not deliver pizza. Designed for both full-on zero-G and atmospheric flight.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rambozo; April 18th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,269
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 786 Times in 242 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Here is mine:

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hideyoshi; April 18th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    --(-)|dE--

    portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Final low gravity - zero G suit concept

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Here's my entry.
    Name:  spacepolice.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  362.0 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twentyone For This Useful Post:


  19. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just a few notes on this round:

    First of all, awesome round everyone! There's a whole bunch of entries, I'm all giddy Hope I can make the next topic just as awesome...

    Marco Mazzoni, Rezeroth, silliKONe: I was tempted to wait until you guys got around to post your finals in here, but I promised myself to be a little more regular with putting up the polls and new rounds so I didn't want to wait too long. Hope to see you in the next rounds though, and feel free to post your work in here if you still want to finish it

    Last edited by yoitisi; April 18th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Nothing to see here....move along.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    great round everyone!

    voted for trevor's suit. great design, color palette, presentation...all those little details - a kick ass piece!

    lord m - interesting design and pose. hope you finish that one.

    hideyoshi - great design and illustration. not quite as much 'cop' in it as i'd like to see, but very cool, nonetheless.

    migsta - i like the feminine take on the suit. nice high-tech work.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silliKONe For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany and California
    Posts
    973
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 191 Times in 114 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Migsta: Cool design. I dig your hologram with the little faux-info (I assume it's just gibberish). The hologram looks a little tighter than the actual robot/suit.

    trevor: Awesome! What a cool looking suit/robot. Totally diggable and a design that would stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of sci-fi! You have to get my vote.
    The only crit (and it's a small one) is the graphic element at the top. It's a little heavy on the overall image - the suit should have more breathing room. Awesome pic though.

    Hideyoshi: Nice to see you're still active here. You don't disappoint. Cool design, reminds me of the Steven Spielberg War of the Worlds (Ryan Chruch designed the tri-pods, I think). Well, actually that is a little far-fetched. You design is very different, quite impressive, the bulkyness. A little more shine and dazzle would have been nice. Anyway, gute Arbeit!

    Rambozo: Another cool entry. I like the organic intricacies on the shoulders. I think the pose and framing hurts the image though - with such cool design going on, it could easily have been made stronger by different cropping and posing. What do you think?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:


  26. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 111 Times in 54 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch View Post

    Rambozo: Another cool entry. I like the organic intricacies on the shoulders. I think the pose and framing hurts the image though - with such cool design going on, it could easily have been made stronger by different cropping and posing. What do you think?
    For the cropping/framing : absolutely. It was literally a last minute thing I must admit Anything not to have a bland old grey background in this case, you might be right about it doing more damage than good though.

    As far as the pose goes : I don't really dig it much myself to be honest, but I didn't think I was gona have any time to work on this past the thumbs so I didn't bother with interesting poses. Of course I got into the theme, so early Saturday when I got the chance I went through the ones I had sketched and pilfered the good elements, building on one of these thumbs (and it's unimaginative pose). I rendered her as much as I could from there, skipping the sketch-redo if I planned on getting anything in on time. Bummed about it but you have to roll with the punches.

    Cheers for the feedback!



    Hmmmm, on a side note : Yoitisi, I see BlackDelphin, Spiderspy and Trevor have voted for my entry, which is three right ? But the tally only racks me up for 2 votes ? CA miscount ? (cheers for the vote by the way guys)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hotlanta GA
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 554 Times in 191 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    rambozo-love the design
    ill try and do full crits tomorrow after work

    Last edited by trevor; April 20th, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Rambozo: Hm it might be because I edited silliKONe in after I already opened the poll. It means officially you do have 3 votes,but if I go in to change it the same thing might occur somewhere else so I'd rather leave it as is if that's ok.

    tdbsr7: It is generally frowned down upon to vote for your own entry, I'm afraid. I can change your vote if you let me know who you want to vote for besides your own entry.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:


  31. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 208 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quick crit time...

    gwill50 - While it's an admirable attempt to work up a full city scene there doesn't seem to be any real focus on the design of the actual suit, which is kind of the point of the topic. Next time try working with just a plain white background. If you can't get it to work there, a full scene won't fix it... trust me, I've tried

    tdbsr7 - I would have to make the same suggestion here to kill the background. The suit itself has some interesting shapes, but overall is difficult to read. I you were to move the ammo drum so it doesn't cover so much of the suit and extend the picture format so the rest of his legs fit in the piece I think it would feel a lot better.

    Migsta - The presentation is kinda cool, but I agree that the hologram seems more clear than the actual suit, which is a little distracting. The tech bits all seem pretty functional but it's not entirely clear what it's holding in it's right hand. Also I would take another look at it's left leg. The foot is facing a different direction than it's knee which is unstable even for a robot.

    Bagg - There are some fun shapes here, but I have a hard time seeing how this thing would work. The legs seem like a completely different tech than the rest of the body and the thin bits connecting 'em seem like they would be crushed under the weight. As far as this being and actual police suit, he graffiti face seems very out of place, and I don't think the sirens are enough.

    Miran - To be honest, it's very difficult to tell what's going on here. The shapes are all too even and undefined. Try starting with broad symmetrical shapes and define your form from there.

    RogueToad - If art is something you want to get serious about, then you really need learn the fundamentals of drawing. There's way too much for me to get into here, but be ready to stop working with color and start doing lots of value studies. You'll have to draw people and objects from life, you'll have to draw your ass off, and if you learn to love every minute of it, you'll be a badass in no time.

    LordVenom - Quick suggestion to help you make him look like he's floating in space and not underwater. Lose the volume of light coming from the head lamps, there's no atmosphere in space so there's nothing to project the light like that. You could also try laying in some stars if you really want to push it, but you don't want to draw too much attention away from the suit itself.

    LORD M - There's some interesting things going on with the suit here, but I'm not sure that awkward pose is helping at all. I would also recommend spending less time on the background than the suit. It adds to the mood but it takes away from the design.

    trevor - Suck it... suck it hard! If I had to be all like... constructive n' shit, I could nit-pick and say that the two straps on it's lower arm seem a little out of place. Also what was said earlier about the graphic element overpowering it a bit. Seriously though, this may be the best thing I've seen from you, which is saying a lot.

    Rambozo - The upper body on this thing is pretty rad. I do have to say the legs feel a little too weak and organic for the rest of it though. This piece could really benefit from a new layout. There's so much wasted space being used on unnecessary graphic stuff and yet a major portion of what should be your main focus is still being covered with gigantic text. This is an otherwise solid design though, keep it up!

    Hideyoshi - Cool design as always man, though I did kinda wish you'd have gone with #3 of your original sketches too I'm glad to see you changed out the t-rex arms for something more funtional, haha. The only thing that I'm missing from this is the feet. Great color and energy in this piece.

    resix - It's cool to see the different stages of the suit. I do have to admit the bush is a little distracting though, maybe some sci-fi boxer shorts wouldn't be such a bad idea The actual design is pretty cool, but it looks a little too familiar, like a combination of the Cerberus and Terminus armors from Mass Effect 2.
    http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/2186/1265740014.jpg
    http://www.aeropause.com/wordpress/a...ar-452x750.jpg
    Just something to watch out for.

    twentyone - Pretty cool piece overall. While I can see how a person might be able to fit in the suit on the left, I'm pretty sure you'd have to break something to get into the one on the right. Also, I think the gun arm on the right is way to long for such a thin frame, it's looks very unstable. As far as the design goes, I would suggest taking a look at some real world robots and paying close attention to how their joints work.

    silliKONe - Not a whole lot to crit here, you've got a fun Hitchhikers Guide feel to it that works well. The perspective seems a little off on the sirens and the feet/stumps but not enough to break it. I would like to see a little more polish in the hands and legs though.




    Unfortunately I was unable to get this where I wanted it in time, but it seemed like a shame to keep it to myself so... I'm going to go ahead and leave this here The legs and hand still need to be refined a bit and the "police" text needs to be better integrated, but I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marco Mazzoni; April 20th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marco Mazzoni For This Useful Post:


  33. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 111 Times in 54 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Rambozo: Hm it might be because I edited silliKONe in after I already opened the poll. It means officially you do have 3 votes,but if I go in to change it the same thing might occur somewhere else so I'd rather leave it as is if that's ok.

    tdbsr7: It is generally frowned down upon to vote for your own entry, I'm afraid. I can change your vote if you let me know who you want to vote for besides your own entry.
    Yoitisi : ahhhh adding late-commers into the poll, I hadn't thought of that (I thought that was a no-go from now on ?). Regardless, it's not like I was ever gona dethrone Trevor on this one hahaha Seriously. No sweat, more of a surprise really: simple math pops out at you with a low count like that

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Mazzoni View Post
    Quick crit time...

    gwill50 - While it's an admirable attempt to work up a full city scene there doesn't seem to be any real focus on the design of the actual suit, which is kind of the point of the topic. Next time try working with just a plain white background. If you can't get it to work there, a full scene won't fix it... trust me, I've tried

    tdbsr7 - I would have to make the same suggestion here to kill the background. The suit itself has some interesting shapes, but overall is difficult to read. I you were to move the ammo drum so it doesn't cover so much of the suit and extend the picture format so the rest of his legs fit in the piece I think it would feel a lot better.

    Migsta - The presentation is kinda cool, but I agree that the hologram seems more clear than the actual suit, which is a little distracting. The tech bits all seem pretty functional but it's not entirely clear what it's holding in it's right hand. Also I would take another look at it's left leg. The foot is facing a different direction than it's knee which is unstable even for a robot.

    Bagg - There are some fun shapes here, but I have a hard time seeing how this thing would work. The legs seem like a completely different tech than the rest of the body and the thin bits connecting 'em seem like they would be crushed under the weight. As far as this being and actual police suit, he graffiti face seems very out of place, and I don't think the sirens are enough.

    Miran - To be honest, it's very difficult to tell what's going on here. The shapes are all too even and undefined. Try starting with broad symmetrical shapes and define your form from there.

    RogueToad - If art is something you want to get serious about, then you really need learn the fundamentals of drawing. There's way too much for me to get into here, but be ready to stop working with color and start doing lots of value studies. You'll have to draw people and objects from life, you'll have to draw your ass off, and if you learn to love every minute of it, you'll be a badass in no time.

    LordVenom - Quick suggestion to help you make him look like he's floating in space and not underwater. Lose the volume of light coming from the head lamps, there's no atmosphere in space so there's nothing to project the light like that. You could also try laying in some stars if you really want to push it, but you don't want to draw too much attention away from the suit itself.

    LORD M - There's some interesting things going on with the suit here, but I'm not sure that awkward pose is helping at all. I would also recommend spending less time on the background than the suit. It adds to the mood but it takes away from the design.

    trevor - Suck it... suck it hard! If I had to be all like... constructive n' shit, I could nit-pick and say that the two straps on it's lower arm seem a little out of place. Also what was said earlier about the graphic element overpowering it a bit. Seriously though, this may be the best thing I've seen from you, which is saying a lot.

    Rambozo - The upper body on this thing is pretty rad. I do have to say the legs feel a little too weak and organic for the rest of it though. This piece could really benefit from a new layout. There's so much wasted space being used on unnecessary graphic stuff and yet a major portion of what should be your main focus is still being covered with gigantic text. This is an otherwise solid design though, keep it up!

    Hideyoshi - Cool design as always man, though I did kinda wish you'd have gone with #3 of your original sketches too I'm glad to see you changed out the t-rex arms for something more funtional, haha. The only thing that I'm missing from this is the feet. Great color and energy in this piece.

    resix - It's cool to see the different stages of the suit. I do have to admit the bush is a little distracting though, maybe some sci-fi boxer shorts wouldn't be such a bad idea The actual design is pretty cool, but it looks a little too familiar, like a combination of the Cerberus and Terminus armors from Mass Effect 2.
    http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/2186/1265740014.jpg
    http://www.aeropause.com/wordpress/a...ar-452x750.jpg
    Just something to watch out for.

    twentyone - Pretty cool piece overall. While I can see how a person might be able to fit in the suit on the left, I'm pretty sure you'd have to break something to get into the one on the right. Also, I think the gun arm on the right is way to long for such a thin frame, it's looks very unstable. As far as the design goes, I would suggest taking a look at some real world robots and paying close attention to how their joints work.

    silliKONe - Not a whole lot to crit here, you've got a fun Hitchhikers Guide feel to it that works well. The perspective seems a little off on the sirens and the feet/stumps but not enough to break it. I would like to see a little more polish in the hands and legs though.




    Unfortunately I was unable to get this where I wanted it in time, but it seemed like a shame to keep it to myself so... I'm going to go ahead and leave this here The legs and hand still need to be refined a bit and the "police" text needs to be better integrated, but I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.

    Marco Mazzoni,

    Hmm... Perhaps you missed Yoitisi's 2nd, follow-up post to this IDW's Topic Description?

    Direct Quote: " April 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM - Also keep in mind that the Police force does not necessarily have to be human..."

    In my opinion, Twentyone's 2nd/feminine form accurately fits the latter descript.

    Regards.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to app For This Useful Post:


  36. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    great suit marco, thanks for posting it. i like how you can imagine where the human form ends within the suit, and the mechanical extensions take over. solid work! my only comment woudl be about the red/blue 'pick axe' shape jutting out the back. i'm assuming it's some kind of police light, but it doesnt' quite seem to go with the rest of the suit design. still, though - original design and great rendering job.

    thanks too, for taking the time to post comments for all pieces.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to silliKONe For This Useful Post:


  38. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hotlanta GA
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 554 Times in 191 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey app
    you seriously need to learn how to read crits and learn from them.
    Marco is an amazing professional artist and has a lot of skills and experience you do not.
    If he is willing to share his knowledge i suggest you try to learn from it if you can.
    if you get defensive any time anybody offers an honest critique to you or your friends,
    you will not last long in this industry
    i have said my piece
    sorry marco
    your piece completely owns

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:


  40. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 208 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by app View Post
    Marco Mazzoni,

    Hmm... Perhaps you missed Yoitisi's 2nd, follow-up post to this IDW's Topic Description?

    Direct Quote: " April 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM - Also keep in mind that the Police force does not necessarily have to be human..."

    In my opinion, Twentyone's 2nd/feminine form accurately fits the latter descript.

    Regards.
    Dearest app,

    In fact I did read Yoitisi's follow-up post on April 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM.

    I also saw twentyone's post #34 on page 2 on April 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM which clearly shows the sketch of a human form made to fit within the main suit. I actually took the time to consider this and used it as a frame of reference for my critique of the piece. Since I try to not make false assumptions, I felt no reason to assume that the other Police unit was not human as well.

    However, if I am in fact mistaken, then I would gladly revise the first part of my previous critique to suggest that perhaps for the sake of clarity there could be more hints at what the alien might look like under that suit. In my opinion, the rest of my crit remains valid though

    Sincerely yours,
    Marco Mazzoni

    Last edited by Marco Mazzoni; April 21st, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  41. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 208 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    silliKONe - Hey thanks for the feedback. You have a good point about the police light, that's something I'll likely address when I revisit the piece.

    trevor - You complete me

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  42. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    First off, great job to every one who has voted or entered.. and it's great help from everyone here to help each other improve, so

    Lol, to marco and Trevor, I totally forgot to vote too..

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  43. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 111 Times in 54 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Cool 'round people. Some crits :

    Bagg : I like the fact that the design is a little weird so to speak, feels like it could survive some deep space with it's pilot nestled in hehe. The arms don't seem feasible though, no joints etc, which makes the legs seem to be a part of a different machine. I'm also not convinced about the graffiti on it's chest, was this unit captured by some anarcho's and tagged ?


    Miran : It's looks like you're police officer is all geared-up for a halo-jump. I like the story you're telling, but it's kind of hard to tell if that's really what you were going for : I think working on defining things out more next time would help, make things less blurry.


    RogueToad : Like Yoitisi says : voting for yourself ain't so hot dude. I would also heed Marco's crit : having a solid tonal-value layed down to build from would have produced a far greater final piece here, flesh out the volumes and all. You can concentrate on colours further down the line, no worries.


    LordVenom : I felt your policeman felt more like he was diving than floating around myself, so I think Marco's comment about the lighting is very astute (as well as a few stars in the BG, maybe a planet, a station, a ship, some reference so we get an instant clear picture). You could have made it quite clear they were lights by having the light reflect off of his outstretched arm in stead, plus that would have made for an interesting render I figure. I also see the cast shadow from his left fist (our right) on his chest, which is great except I can't seem to see the shadow of his pistol


    Lord M : I like the forearms, the nightstick that seems to be integrated. That works for me. I get the feeling this is a human underneath though, and if that is the case then what popped out at me first was how weak his ankles would be, basically putting all the weight on the archs of his feet, which just couldn't work. I do like the look though, and that configuration means you can run much faster right ? So having some sort of bracing connecting both leg elements, to the rear would solve my qualm right quick. (then again, maybe it's an alien and that's that ) Other than that I would have liked to see you push this one a bit further, it has potential.


    trevor : Trevor Trevor Trevor, I warned you you should pull out and not deal with the humiliation, look at you now... I'll forgo goin' over what I like about this piece, it's fantastic. I do try to find one constructive point to bring up in a crit, something to work on... Euhm, maybe the colours not being akin enough to police colours (black, white, blue, green even depending on where you are) ? But then again I like the colours so... Maybe the feet being to small to be a stable platform ? But, they look geared-up to run fast as f+ck... I dunno man, it's solid work dude. Some have criticised the top graphic element, I even like that. Maybe you could have made it thinner, but it's a nice frame I personally wouldn't touch it.


    Hideyoshi : Nice colours/lighting. Good feel for the action around. The arms seem a little to short at first true, but that's relative to what they're function is right ? For instance the ray-gun arm to our left (his right) doesn't really need be that long, it just needs to serve it's function and hopefully look cool I'm not convinced a circular-saw-appendage would be a very "police" thing to be sporting on a suit though hahah Pull over or I'll cut your legs off !


    Resix : I like the fact that you showed the different layers to the suit. It might not always be important for a final piece (a beauty-shot is often a good sell right ?), but I do like to be able to go over it and see the logic of things. My favourite is the middle one (the supple dark suit). Maybe the half-shaved man-crotch was unnecessary but it's not that much of a problem I reckon.


    Twentyone : if your female character to the right was meant to be a suit then I'ld agree with Marco and say the anatomy doesn't seem to work. But, looking at your pic I didn't see it as a suit at all, to me it clearly seemed to be a robotic side-kick (waist, thinness of her right arm, elongated members, small head, the wiiiide joints of the legs at the hip, she's projecting the crisis info for the human to see, etc.).
    Other than that, I'ld say look out for the guy's right hand/gun... He'ld have to be sporting a stump to be able to wear that suit-canon (look at how long the other arm is). Also the yellow rifle seems to be floating there, a simple cast shadow job should solve that right quick.


    silliKONe : I like the slightly comical feel of the suit. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, someone mentioned Hitchhiker's guide as an example, I'ld also add the feeling of some of Guimanez's work on le quatrième pouvoir for instance. I do find the green lighting very distracting though. With the blue, pinkish-red, red, orange, there are to many bright colours to suit the scene I find.


    Marco : Very cool. Definitely seems fitted to deep space, cosmonaught feel to him. I dig the colours too. It doesn't seem like he would do well running after people in the city though, so although this suit really does it for me I'ld say it seems to specialised to fit the broader multipurpose role posted in the brief (not entirely convinced it's worth mentioning though). Still would have gotten a vote from me if you finished on time and if this was a multi-vote pole.
    Looking at the arm lengths, thickness of the suit, etc. I think the lower-legs might be a touch too long though ? Well, I should be more specific : not the length really as I'm seeing mechanical bits at the feet which explains the length itself, but rather to my eye the knee of the person inside should just about match up with the knee-pad seen on the right leg (our left). Which means there should be some sort of protrusion where the human foot would fit, roughly 2/3s down the armoured tibia ?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  44. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook