Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

2016 Winter Intensive Session

After having run our first Summer Intensive session in July and August of 2016 we've decided to offer the exact same course again from October to December 2016.

The summer intensive was a resounding success and the student work that came out of it was fantastic...drawing through the course work non stop all day everyday for 8 weeks produced some quite remarkable results, so we've decided that it is a worthy offering to revisit.

The information for the upcoming program can be found on our Winter Intensive Session page.

Happy Drawing!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Animation Portfolio Puneet Jagwani

Name:  Puneet Smler.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  31.4 KB

Here is a link to the animation portfolio of Puneet Jagwani, a recent graduate of the APW 2015-16 Spring Session.

Puneet used this portfolio to gain entry into the Seneca College 2-D Animation Program commencing in September of 2016

Thanks

2017 apw summer intensive

We have started to register students for the upcoming 2017 APW Summer Intensive Program that will be running from June 26 to August 18 2017.

There are 9 spots left as of today.

Please visit the hyper link above for more detailed information.

Happy Drawing!!

Gerard

Name:  animation_portfolio_workshop_smller IMG_8839_crop_FINAL.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  69.6 KB
    APW 2016 SUMMER INTENSIVE GROUP

Thanks
    Happy Holidays to everyone......

...by way of a quick update, the upcoming 2017 Summer Intensive Program is currently half filled and we have six spots available before registration is closed for the class starting in July of 2017.

Cheers and Happy Drawing!!

Thanks

APW 2017-2018 Spring Workshop

Enrollment has started for the upcoming 2017-2018 session of the Animation Portfolio Workshop

Please visit the site for detailed info.

Thanks

Thanks

Portfolio Samples from 2016/2017 Students

It's that time of year again and students are madly pouring over their portfolios in preparation for submissions to various art programs.

We are putting portfolios together at APW, and I will try to post examples of work as I come across it that gives a good idea of what's being asked for portfolio-wise from the schools our students are applying to.

Here's a few examples from a current student hoping to attend the Seneca Animation program in the fall of 2017.

Stay tuned and keep up the good work!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Pieces 2017

Here's a few more examples from the portfolios that are currently being prepared in our classes for various Animation schools....these examples are from a student who has just recently applied for the Seneca Animation program....

Thanks

Apw portfolio examples

Here are a few more examples of work that was pulled from a very recent portfolio submission...the Sheridan portfolio deadline is now fast approaching and students are madly working away to put together their final result for that.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Hi Mr. Sternik, how are you?

First of all, thanks for showing your student's portfolios and giving us an idea of what we might be learning at APW.

I was almost enrolling to the summer intensive program when I saw the tuition cost is almost double the price than the regular 38-week program. I'm just wondering: why is that? In both programs we get 38 days of classes for 6h each, right? Only one course lasts 8 weeks and the other 38 weeks... but the amount of lessons are the same...

I just wanted to understand the reason for that before making any judgment or decisions.

I'm from Brazil, therefore I'd be an international student. I'd have to consider renting an apartment, meals, etc... On one hand I'd pay double the tuition but spend less on rent and food, on the other hand I'd pay less on tuition but spend a lot more on rent and food. I guess I'm just a little bit disappointed, because when I saw your students work and the earlier posts I was really excited to go...

Anyway, thanks in advance for your time if you reply to this.

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for your question.

The price for the summer intensive is based entirely on the maximum enrolment number for the course.

Our regular Spring Workshop takes 24 students maximum at the price posted on the website (half the price of the Summer Intensive).
    This pays for everything and allows us to run the whole operation for the 38 days of class required to complete the curriculum over an 8 month period.
    The 38 day Summer Intensive only accepts a maximum enrolment of 12 students, and the costs of running this Intensive are the same as the costs of running the regular Workshop....both the regular and summer courses are identical in nature with respect to the curriculum, number of class hours, number of staff working with students etc.
    Since the only difference between the two programs is in the number of students we can enrol in each, the cost for the Summer Intensive is simply double the cost of the regular Workshop because there are half the number of students enrolled in it compared with the regular Workshop.

The higher tuition for the Summer Intensive is offset by the volumes of attention that are poured into each student in this group by our team...simply because the ratio of student to Directors, Teachers, T.A.'s and T.A's in training during this session is obviously doubled compared with what occurs in the regular Workshop...and I must say that the Regular Workshop is quite lavish in terms of our devotion to each student to begin with.
    Also, since the Summer Intensive is 38 days back to back, (basically 8 consecutive weeks) the costs of living here in terms of rent, food, etc is remarkably cheaper compared to what our International students pay when they live here over the 8 month period required to complete the regular Spring Workshop.

That's really it in a nutshell.

I'm really glad that you have enjoyed looking over the student work that I have posted here.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post here or mail me through our website.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks
    Yes, definitely. Thank you so much for clearing that up! I didn't know about the difference in the number of students. That makes sense.

So, if I wanted to take the regular workshop (38 weeks), I should apply for a student visa? Because I can only attend school with a visitor's visa if it lasts less than 6 months, right?

Thanks
    To take the regular Workshop if you are coming from outside of the country, you would be applying for the 38 day Fall Workshop as it occurs within the visitor visa status of a 6 month period (September to February).
    You cannot get a student visa to study with us for the Spring Workshop as the duration of that course extends beyond 6 months.
    Since we have chosen to maintain the status of a Workshop and not a school, Immigration Canada does not grant student visas to international students for our programs if the course duration is over a 6 month period.
    International students not attending our Summer Intensive are welcome to sign up for and attend the regular Fall Session.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions...

Always a pleasure.
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; February 15th, 2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: add information

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerard Sternik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Personal Art Sheridan Portfolio

Here's a couple of examples from the personal art section of the Sheridan Portfolio that was just recently submitted from one of our students in sunny California...lovely and colourful stuff....

Thanks

APW Win Free Tuition for 2017 Session

Once again we are happy to be offering the APW Win A Free Tuition Contest for the upcoming 2017-2018 session.

Please visit the APW win free tuition page to get all the details on how to enter and submit work for this years contest.

Good luck to all!!

Happy drawing!

Thanks

Sheridan Animation Portfolio

We are starting to collect and organize the portfolios that have been submitted to Sheridan so I'l try and grab some images from those to post here...

To start here's a couple of drawings by a student who's already been accepted into Seneca Animation but is also waiting to hear back from Sheridan...these two were for the Sheridan portfolio specifically....

Thanks

Sheridan Animation Portfolio

Here are a few examples from the life drawing section of a recent Sheridan portfolio entry by one of our Spring 2016 APW students....

Enjoy!

Thanks

Sheridan Portfolio Patrick Macadat

I'm happy to be able to post the portfolio of one of our 2016 Summer Intensive students for your viewing pleasure.

Patrick Macadat created this portfolio in the 2016 Summer Intensive class and used this portfolio to snag himself a spot in the Sheridan animation program starting in the fall of 2017.

...you can view the portfolio here:

Sheridan Portfolio Patrick Macadat.

...two other points worth mentioning;

The regular Workshop starting up in May still has some spots available, as does the upcoming summer intensive.You can get complete info about all this through the site.

Secondly, we've started to receive work for the upcoming free tuition contest....send in your work for a chance at winning free tuition for the upcoming session.

Happy drawing!

Thanks

JaYoung Min Sheridan Animation Portfolio 2016

Here is the link to another APW student portfolio from the 2016 Spring group.

JaYoung Min created this successful Sheridan portfolio and will be attending the program at Sheridan starting in the fall of 2017.

Happy Drawing!

Thanks

Avril Cheng Portfolio

Here is another example from the latest crop of APW student portfolios.....

This animation school portfolio is from recent APW grad Avril Cheng.

Avril applied to and got accepted into the Seneca animation program with selections from this portfolio.

She'll be starting up classes in the fall of 2017.

Nice work!

Thanks

Sheridan Portfolio 2017 LIz Eaton

We have recently posted the animation portfolio of our student - Liz Eaton

Liz took part in our summer intensive program as an international student and was accepted into the animation program at Sheridan College with the portfolio showcased on our site.

Enjoy looking through her work!

Happy Drawing.

Thanks
    ...folks, I'm sorry I forgot to post about this ( I should have done it much sooner) but there are still two spots left if anyone is interested...my bad, lots of Workshop stuff going on with plenty of students coming and going to keep track of....

Our Winter Intensive starts up on the 25th of October and runs until December 15th 2017.

Follow this link to the 2017 Winter Intensive info page on our site, and if you're interested in registering or want some more info, you can do it through the site.

Happy Drawing!!

Thanks

APW Boot Camp

I'm posting to announce a new offering that we have called the APW Boot Camp.

These short courses developed quite naturally as a bi-product of work we were doing with our students in the regular 38 week Workshop.
    We would notice each year that at various stages of our regular program, some students would need to zero in on very specific topics or even on an aspect of a certain topic being taught, in order to apply extra very intense focussed study time. Usually this was done in a short burst of activity to help students get over the hump of learning and integrating the new material into their overall drawing practice.

Seeing some positive results from this approach led us to developing the concept of the 'drawing boot camp'.....

Since learning to draw observationally depends upon breaking the subject down into small sections that can be practiced individually and repeatedly until learned, we saw the value in actually isolating a number of the more difficult drawing elements that our students struggled with and offering them as small digestible isolated components that could be approached like someone might approach going to the gym to practice a specific regimen of exercises to develop a specific muscle group.
    In the same way that practicing skipping rope helps to develop endurance, agility, and co-ordination for a boxer, we might focus one bootcamp session on short gestures only, or on using construction lines and measuring angles, etc, to develop that specific skill set in the draughtsperson.

These bootcamps are not meant to be a substitute for a comprehensive drawing course; skipping rope does not constitute the actual boxing match itself for the boxer, but is a useful exercise in helping to develop aspects of the overall performance of the boxer in the ring, and a single boot camp exercise in no way constitutes the entire creative act of making a drawing, but instead is designed to help a student focus on a specific area in their drawing practice which is proving to be a difficult obstacle on the path of attaining overall fluidity in drawing practice.

An unexpected development is that the boot camps have also afforded the burgeoning animation student and the beginner with little to no drawing experience a chance to get a real taste of the disciplined focussed approach required in learning to draw that we practice in the regular Workshop, without having to make a huge commitment of time and energy initially.
    We often times have students approach us who are trying to discern if animation school or the Workshop is the right fit for them, and the Boot Camps offer a very genuine taste, albeit brief, of exactly what it is like to participate in either of these endeavours.

Please visit the APW BOOTCAMP page for detailed info on the program.

Courses consist of 8 three hour classes starting on October 23 2017.

Happy drawing!!

Thanks
    Hi folks....

A quick note note to let you know that our second boot camp, a two week course in character design and construction will be starting up on November 6 2017

If you're interested please feel free to click on the link in the previous post that will provide you with more detailed info.
    Our first attempt at this type of course format - the short gesture boot camp, has gone well so far and the students have quite enjoyed the work and the course content.

....hope to see you there.

Happy Drawing!!

Thanks

2018 win free tuition character design contest

We are happy to announce that we'll be holding the free tuition character design contest again in 2018....

All of the specific guidelines can be found on our website contest info page with updated info for the 2018 competition appearing in early January.

As in previous years, the first prize winner will receive a spot in the upcoming spring Workshop session, valued at over $5000.00 Cdn.
    Runner up prizes will also be awarded as in previous years.
    This years judge will be Canadian animator Lynn Dana Wilton.

On another note, Sheridan Animation has added a new element to their list of required portfolio pieces for the upcoming competition in the Winter of 2018. This year, they are asking applicants to include a basic sequential animation as part of the required portfolio package.

The basic elements of how to achieve this piece are part of the regular Workshop, and our students are currently working on preparing this piece along with the other mandatory material.
    We did realize however that perhaps there were some prospective applicants who might not have exposure to the info required to produce such a piece so we went ahead and decided to devote the two remaining APW Drawing Boot Camps that run throughout January to the topic of basic animation, which is designed to specifically address these concerns.

If any of you need more info on this feel free to visit our website and the APW Boot Camp page

Until next time....Happy Drawing!

Thanks

Happy New Year

The APW crew would like to wish everyone at Conceptart a happy and productive new year for 2018!

I'm going to try to post work from APW student portfolios as they are being developed through the early part of 2018...

I can start with some drawing for animation and life drawing stuff, both works in progress and more resolved work from the 2017 Winter Intensive group that just finished up before Christmas....hopefully you will find it inspiring, interesting and useful in your own study.
    The Animation Basics Bootcamp that starts up in January should have some interesting work so I'll try to poach some pieces to post from those groups if I can...

Meantime, Happy 2018 and Happy Drawing!!

Gerard

Thanks
    Keep it coming! Happy New Year to you too.
    'Harsh' critiques are always welcome.

​Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=329905

Thanks
    Thanks so much Mervaa...I'll do my best!

Cheers!

Thanks

Sheridan Portfolio Examples

Here's some other samples of work I snatched from portfolios being prepared by our students for the Sheridan / Seneca deadlines coming up...study and enjoy!

More coming!

Thanks

APW Animation Portfolio Drawings

I'm "attempting" to keep up with student portfolios being produced and supply more examples of work to look at as it gets made or is accepted into a program.

I will provide links to the complete portfolios on our site once we've got that organized, but for now I'll keep posting various examples until we've got the mammoth portfolio posting job under control....the examples here are all the work of one student.

Enjoy and keep up the good work!

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Autumn DeOliveira

We have posted our first portfolio from the 2017-2018 student groups courtesy of Autumn DeOliveira....

The portfolio of Autumn DeOliveira was created in the 2017 Winter Intensive Session, held from mid October to mid December of the past year.

Autumn is a native of Atlanta Georgia, and aspires to move to Canada to continue her studies in Animation school.

Enjoy!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast