Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks

Another recent APW animation portfolio

Here's another portfolio from another recent student of the Animation Portfolio Workshop (APW) who has uploaded her portfolio of drawings on her own blog. Have a look through the character designs, room drawings and object drawings. I oversee the Drawing for Animation section of the APW. We cover areas like character design, 1 point, and 2 point perspective for room drawing, object drawing, hand drawing, and some storyboarding as well.

http://cs-artwork.blogspot.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's a portfolio uploaded by another 2011/12 fall/winter session student of the APW. She has started a blog of her drawings. Enjoy.

http://cs-artwork.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Results from the 2011 Workshop Session

Here is another link to the portfolio of one of our students who just got accepted into both the Sheridan College Bachelor of Animation program, as well as the Seneca College, three year diploma program in animation.

Caroline Schwepper came to study with us all the way from Brazil, and did a great job this year turning out a strong portfolio.

Click here to view Caroline's portfolio:

Caroline Schwepper animation portfolio

Thanks

Re From Submission

Hi Uptown.

Sorry it took a bit of time to get back to you.
    I'm out of the country right now and I just got your post today.
    I asked our administrator to re-check all of the recent batch of inquiries and respond to them right away.

If you don't get a response by tomorrow then post your email here on this thread and I can go back through the information request emails and connect up with you personally..

Gerard Sternik / Director

Thanks

Student Portfolio

Here is another example of a portfolio of drawings that was accepted into the Sheridan Animation Program

The portfolio was created by Sam Vest, a student from the 2011 Fall Workshop.

Click here to view Sam's portfolio

Thanks

Josh Miller Portfolio Excerpts

Here's some examples from the portfolio of Josh Miller, one of our students who used these pieces to get into the Seneca College animation program this year.

visit:

Josh Miller Animation Portfolio

on our website, to see examples of Josh's animation portfolio and the animation portfolios created by our students to gain acceptance into various animation programs.
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; April 23rd, 2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: update link

Thanks

APW Voted One of Top 100 Animation Schools in the World

I am happy to announce that the Animation Portfolio Workshop has been voted one of the top 100 animation schools in the world by the Animation Career Review website.

Please take a look at the review of our school on our blog post link below:

Animation Portfolio Workshop Voted One of Top 100 Animation Schools in the World

Thanks to Animation Career Review on behalf of everyone at the Workshop.

Animation Portfolio Workshop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerard Sternik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop Fall 2012 Session

So it is official....

We'll be holding a Fall Session of the Animation Portfolio Workshop starting in mid September 2012, that will end in March of 2013.

We had more students than we could squeeze in for the spring 2012 session, so the wait list transformed into a sign up list for a new session.

Please visit our website to get Program Information about the upcoming session.

The spring group is off to a great start, and is developing well.

Anyone interested in joining the Fall session is welcome to stop in and pay us a visit before our summer break in August.
    Please drop me a line if you would like to stop by.

Thanks

Sheridan Animation Portfolio

Here is another portfolio from one of the 2011 / 2012 Workshop students.

Alexanne Boissonneau's portfolio got her a spot in the Sheridan College animation program for the upcoming 2012 / 2013 school year.

Way to go Alexanne!
    Best of luck next year!

Thanks

Fall 2012 / 2013 session

A brief word to any of you contemplating signing up for the upcoming Fall Workshop.

The course is currently half full, with us waiting on a number of potential registrants doing their paperwork.

I suggest that any of you who are interested in signing up make haste with respect to securing a spot for the upcoming term.

Follow this link to get course information about our next session.

Last edited by Gerard Sternik; August 11th, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add information

Thanks
    Hey I have a question!

Is the type of drawing you do in the workshop the same drawing as you do in art fundamentals? Which one is better for helping you get into Sheridan animation school?

Thanks!

-STgirl

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop Drawing vs. Sheridan Art Fundamentals Drawing

Hi STgirl.

It's nice to be back on the new and improved ConceptArt website....

I think it might take more than one post to respond to your question , but let's start here.

Observational drawing is ( or should be) a fairly neutral set of processes, exercises, etc, that one goes through/ performs, that address basic aspects of visual language that we've been playing around with for thousands of years in various forms of art and in various cultures...for example, when one is studying drawing, one will learn ways of seeing and drawing shape, through a variety of exercises...maybe with line that depicts silhouette shapes, maybe through line that depicts volumetric shape, or with tone to depict the tonal shapes on form, etc, etc...and it goes on and on..you basically want to learn everything you can about the subject that there is to know.

The reason I'm stating this is because when I get asked a question like yours the first thing that I always want to make clear is that , fundamentally, the basic stuff that you need to learn and know about observational drawing in order to practice it, is the same, no matter where you learn it, or by whom your taught it.

Now whether or not you are taught everything that you need to know by someone who is really gifted at teaching it all to you, is an entirely different matter, in other words, we all know that there is a range in the quality of instruction that goes anywhere from downright shabby to absolutely brilliant, depending on who's doing the teaching, etc.

So in effect what I'm saying ( hoping? ) is that, I expect that in most schools and art programs that offer basic drawing courses , like Art Fundamentals, or a Foundation Year at an Art College, the basics of observational drawing get taught.

What I am also sure of is that the type of observational drawing required to make a portfolio to get into an animation school like Sheridan College is a kind of " hybrid" of a series of observational drawing practices combined that one does not get taught in Art Fundamentals, simply because it is not the mandate of Art Fundamentals or Foundation art classes to teach such a hybrid....their mandate is to offer a general approach to the subject that gives the student a taste of a variety of things, in case they wish to specialize and go further into the subject.

Animation Portfolio Workshop is the opposite of that....although we must delve thoroughly into the subject of observational drawing in many of its basic forms, we must teach combinations of various basic approaches so our students can create portfolios that clear the bar for entry into a school like Sheridan Animation.
    This sets us apart from general art programs.
    Even though we must teach absolutely sound basic observational drawing exercises like a general art program, our students still have to arrive at the "hybrid" of drawing practices required to turn out a really decent animation portfolio...and we make sure they get there.

I think that the "hybrid" of drawing that we teach in the Workshop does fundamentally offer students a better chance at getting into an animation school over a general art program for the very reason that every moment you spend drawing in the Workhop, from the time you walk in the door until the time you exit is devoted to working on exercises or portfolio pieces that will be used for your animation school portfolio...and that focus in and of itself really makes the work generated by our students different from the work of students in general art programs where the goal is to sample a variety of approaches to drawing as a general introduction to the subject.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; September 18th, 2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Wow, lots of info. Thanks so much for replying to my question.

Can you tell like sort of, what kind of drawing exercises you do in the workshop? Like, are they really different than what is done in Art fundies?

-STgirl

Thanks

Difference between Animation Portfolio Workshop classes and Sheridan Art Fundamentals

O.k. STgirl

As a quick reply that is brief, I can't tell you exactly what kinds of drawing exercises are done in an Art Fundamentals program, because there are as many types of exercises as there are people teaching them I'm sure, and what the overall goal of the curriculum designer is, etc, are questions that I could only speculate on.

I can tell you what kinds of exercises I HOPE are being taught in Art Fundamentals programs like Sheridan.....based on the fact that it is presenting itself as a general introductory program to a variety of art practices, so that means that the drawing class should generally cover some tried and true concepts and principles of learning how to draw from observation.

Based on that info, I could then show you the differences between what we're doing in the Workshop drawing wise, and what's going on in the Sheridan Art Fundies program.

Would that suffice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; November 13th, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Is the Animation Portfolio Workshop useful for students wanting to go into Illustration programs?
    Or how about students who are already enrolled in school but just want to learn better observational/life drawing skills?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast