Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Sheridan's Art Fundamentals...

Thanks
    Hey, my name is Venicia.

I heard about your course through a friend of mine that lives in Canada. I haven't looked at the website yet but I probably will. I have a few questions to start with. Where is it? And when does it start?

How much do you cover in your course? I am interested in computer animation and graphic design. Would I benefit at all from taking Animation Portfolio Workshop?

Thanks,
    Venicia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop

Hi Venicia.

Thanks for your mail.

In answer to your questions......
    It sounds to me like you are not living in Canada, which is where we're located, so I would say that there are 2 options for you if you're interested in taking the Workshop.

Our 2012 Spring Workshop will be starting up on Saturday May 5 2012 and will run until Sunday March 3 2013.
    We hold classes on weekends only, and the class will fall on either a Saturday or a Sunday for the duration of the course.
    We have a page with this info on the Animation Portfolio Workshop website
    There are some exceptions to this when we'll have some weekends with both Saturday and Sunday classes.

The classes are held in Toronto Ontario Canada.

The other option is the PWI Summer Intensive program.
    This year the program will run for the month of June 2012.
    The Workshop is condensed and accelerated for a much smaller group of students, between 6 and 8 in this Summer Intensive.
    The idea is to offer an option for students who have to travel a great distance to study with us and want to work in a shorter time span than what we offer for the regular Workshop.

Now, your question about what we cover in the course requires a longer answer.
    You should take a look at the animation portfolios on our website, and this will give you a good idea right off the bat of what we're doing in the program.

Basically, animation schools generally require a portfolio to enter their program.
    The portfolio requirements tend to be very specific, and are generally the same for most of the animation programs give or take a few drawings.

So, for example, you would be asked to draw a certain number of objects in a specific way to demonstrate to the people who are looking at your portfolio that you are capable of solving similar types of drawing problems once you're in the animation program in question.

This would apply to a variety of subjects that you would be asked to draw, and when you put them all together, you get your animation school portfolio.

If you are interested in applying to a computer animation course, then I would have to say yes, taking our program would be of benefit to you.

We have had people take our classes and go into graphic design, as well as a variety of other programs using all of or parts of the portfolio they've produced in our class, but generally speaking most of the students who come to us for help are looking to get into an animation school.

Do you have any ideas about specific schools that you're interested in?

Do you have any art background already...perhaps some private art classes that you've taken or visual arts courses from high school?

Thanks

Gerard Sternik / Director

Thanks
    I have some more questions for you. Sorry

Do Art Fundamentals classes offer all of the character design and drawing for animation stuff that the Workshop offers to help me get into animation school.

The other thing is, I haven't had a lot of art background and I'm wondering if I can take the workshop if I am a beginner?

Is the life drawing in an art fundamentals programs is the same as in the workshop....would I learn exactly the same things in the Workshop in life drawing as in an art fundamentals class?

Thanks so much!

-Ven

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Art Fundamentals

Hi Venicia

As far as I know, Art Fundamentals programs don't offer specialized courses in drawing for animation ( i.e. character design, storyboarding, layout for animation, etc).

I've never really heard of any that do cover material in the area of drawing for animation in any great depth.

It doesn't really matter if you’re just starting with respect to life drawing.
    We take students who are beginners in our classes.

In regards to the question about the life drawing.......

I think that an art fundamentals program would cover some of the areas that we cover in our life drawing classes, but as the title "art fundamentals" implies, I think that the type of drawing that you would be exposed to in a generalist art program of that nature would be a general and broad study of the art of drawing.

We teach sound fundamental practices of life drawing, but as we've mentioned before, animation programs require that a specific type of knowledge is clearly demonstrated in the life drawings that are required in a portfolio used to gain access to their programs.
    We've noticed that this kind of knowledge tends to be lacking in the students who have come to join us from various art fundamental programs.

So there are some similarities between what you would learn in our classes and an art fundi's life drawing class, but I think that we end up by teaching a wider range of skills and go into much greater depth teaching about a number of areas of drawing practice that aren't covered in an art fundamentals life drawing class.

Thanks
    Just a thought,
    Maybe the question is "what is your goal?" You'll find plenty of life drawing classes in art fundamentals courses that teach ways to approach drawing the figure - I agree with Gerad - any number of these courses are introductions to the art of figure drawing. For those who want to get into animation school the life drawing requirements are pretty specific. The challenge is to find a course where what you learn is directly based on what you need to know to get into animation school. Drawing for Animation encompasses several areas that in other programs may be spread over several courses. If the goal is to learn things that will help you to get into animation school (gesture drawing, object drawing, perspective, storyboarding, character construction and design etc) then you'll definitely need to find one course that covers all of that. It all comes back to the question - what is your goal?

Thanks

Portfolio Workshop International

Hi Folks.

I'm posting a link to the work of one of our international students that just went up on our website.

Have a peak at the Portfolio Workshop International blog postings...you might find them interesting and helpful.

Thanks

Register for Spring 2012 Workshop

We have been getting inquiries about when the cut off point is for registration for the upcoming Workshop that starts in May......

We register on a first come first serve basis and the upcoming Workshop is half full, so I suggest that it is probably better to be on the safe side and register earlier as opposed to leaving it untill the month of April, thinking that there will still be spots available.
    In the past we have filled up half a Workshop in a week of registration, so it is better to secure spots well in advance of the start up date.

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop Student Results 2012

I'm going to post some work and info about our latest batch of students and their various accomplishments.

Hopefully it will prove instructive to those of you trying to put portfolios together to get into animation schools......

Here's a link to the portfolio of Kevin Oh:

Kevin Oh portfolio

Kevin just finished the Fall 2011 Workshop, and got accepted into The Seneca College Animation program and the Ringling College Computer Animation program

He's still waiting to hear back from the people at Sheridan College.

I'll keep you posted with the latest developments.

-Gerard

Thanks

Another recent APW animation portfolio

Here's another portfolio from another recent student of the Animation Portfolio Workshop (APW) who has uploaded her portfolio of drawings on her own blog. Have a look through the character designs, room drawings and object drawings. I oversee the Drawing for Animation section of the APW. We cover areas like character design, 1 point, and 2 point perspective for room drawing, object drawing, hand drawing, and some storyboarding as well.

http://cs-artwork.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Here's a portfolio uploaded by another 2011/12 fall/winter session student of the APW. She has started a blog of her drawings. Enjoy.

http://cs-artwork.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Results from the 2011 Workshop Session

Here is another link to the portfolio of one of our students who just got accepted into both the Sheridan College Bachelor of Animation program, as well as the Seneca College, three year diploma program in animation.

Caroline Schwepper came to study with us all the way from Brazil, and did a great job this year turning out a strong portfolio.

Click here to view Caroline's portfolio:

Caroline Schwepper animation portfolio

Thanks

Re From Submission

Hi Uptown.

Sorry it took a bit of time to get back to you.
    I'm out of the country right now and I just got your post today.
    I asked our administrator to re-check all of the recent batch of inquiries and respond to them right away.

If you don't get a response by tomorrow then post your email here on this thread and I can go back through the information request emails and connect up with you personally..

Thanks

Student Portfolio

Here is another example of a portfolio of drawings that was accepted into the Sheridan Animation Program

The portfolio was created by Sam Vest, a student from the 2011 Fall Workshop.

Click here to view Sam's portfolio

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast