Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Sheridan's Art Fundamentals...

Thanks

Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Sheridan's Art Fundamentals...

I'm looking between these two. Sheridan's Art Fundamental's program I have heard is more about becoming a general artist and exploring all the sides of art, and it's up to the student to really find the time to put together their portfolio. Where as Animation Portfolio Workshop seems more geared towards working on the specific skill set you need to apply to the specific programs you're intereseted in getting into.

Just wondering people's thoughts on these two?

Another weighing factor for myself, is that I live in Toronto at the moment, and I adore this city. I really don't want to move to Oakville unless I know it's a long term commitment (a.k.a. 4 years for their animation program)

I know the Art Fundamentals class is 1/2 the price, but I would have to move there, and find a new apartment, and wouldnt' really be able to work that much during the year, so the balance isn't really off set. With the Animation portfolio workshop, I could still work relatively full time, and attend my ASL classes that I've been taking.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Either course would be good to take, it really depends on what you feel would get you to your desired job I suppose.

As for transportation, what i'm doing is staying in Toronto and taking the GoTrain to Oakville.

Thanks
    thanks alishka. Just wondering - do you know how many hours/week Fundies is? Like how many days of the week do we need to be out at Sheridan for?

Thanks
    Hi laurabaura.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you might have about the Workshop itself.
    Meantime, I'll see if I can get some of our former Workshop students who were also Art Fundi's students at one point, and are now in the Sheridan Animation Program to post some info for you that might prove helpful in respect to your questions.

Gerard Sternik / Director

Animation Portfolio Workshop

http://www.animationportfolioworkshop.com/
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; April 14th, 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add info

Thanks
    Hi laurabaura, my name is Lisa and I'm currently a 2nd year animation student at Sheridan. I've taken both the portfolio workshop as well as art fundamentals before I got into animation.

The main different between the two is that Art Fundamentals is very general art where you'll have a chance to use cardboard, metal wires, acrylics, etc to create various art pieces. However, they don't have assignments geared towards helping you to create a portfolio for animation.

Animation portfolio workshop is mainly focused on drawing skills. You'll be drawing from live models and also drawing and designing characters/layouts/objects etc. They focus on improving your drawing skills and creating an animation portfolio.

Personally, I think if you are still unsure what to go into, whether it's fine art, illustration, interior design, etc, then art fundamentals would be a good start for exploration and finding your interests.
    But if you are certain that you want to go into animation, then take the portfolio workshop. They'll teach you how to draw and prepare you for animation.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laurabaura View Post
    thanks alishka. Just wondering - do you know how many hours/week Fundies is? Like how many days of the week do we need to be out at Sheridan for?
    I'm afraid I don't know, Laurabaura, I did my fundamentals degree at OCAD. Their set up may be different. I would have a six to eight hour day if i had a two-credit class.

Thanks
    Hey Laura, the best avice would most likely come from someone who has done bo art fundies and the Animation Portfolio Workshop which I have done. Im just finishing up my third year in visual creative arts at Sheridan which has been a ok experience so far.

However hindsight is 20/20 and if i had known about the Animation Portfolio Workshop before I got into art fundies or even before I started my second year im sure I not only would have saved thousands of dollars but I would have gotten into the Bachelor of Animation program sooner. I found out about the workshop at the end of my second year after applying to the illustration program at Sheridan. We started in May of 2009 and ended on the last day of February this year, the day before the day I had chosen to submit my animation portfolio, which was awesome because you have this support system that is with you from the day you start to the week before submitting portfolios.

Its my personal opinion that the things that the things that we were taught in the workshop, starting off with the basics of drawing to the more advanced aspects of drawing, should have been things that were focused on in the art fundies program.

Dont get me wrong, what you are taught in Sheridan is all good but the amount of time spent on these things are not enough, learning seems rushed, once youve been introduced to one thing one week its on to something else the next week. It is art fundamentals so they do try to introduce to the students different forms of art like painting and sculpture etc so there really isnt a single point of focus.

But in the workshop it is all drawing. What you learn in the begining carries right through till the end. For example I never knew how important basic shapes were and getting comfortable with drawing them from different veiws and angles were until I started the workshop. My thing for the longest time has been figure drawing, in art fundies you arent taught how basic shapes fit into drawing the figure and how it gives that figure stucture.

Also trying to get a teacher to spare some time to help you on your portfolio at Sheridan is like trying to throw those ring things around the necks of empty bottles at The Ex or Canadas Wonderland, its not impossible but its hard as hell. Teachers are bombarded with students asking for help around the last few mopnths before the portfolios are due, not to mention the work they already have on their plate.

Ultimately youll have to decide what coice to make. But since im giving you avice I might as well give my honest opinion and that would be to stay in Toronto spend the extra thousand or so to take the workshop and give it your all. This goes for anyone espeacially those applying to animation at Sheridan or Seneca or where ever else the Animation Portfolio Workshop is your best bet because youre taught by people that have been there and done that, people who are in the industry and its all drawing, you dont have to worry about painting or anything else, the course is very focused and you get out of it what you put into it. By the way I got into the animation program this year at Sheridan if you didnt catch that earlier. Hope this helps. Ciao

Thanks
    Hey Laura! My name's Heidi and I took both the Workshop and Art Fundamentals at Sheridan.
    Art fundies is very general. If you are really focused about getting into animation then I would say take the workshop. The workshop really centers in on the aspects of the portfolio and you get lots of one on one help from the instructors. The art fundies program at Sheridan has one instructor for say 30 students which doesn't give them a lot of time to help each student individually whereas the Workshop has multiple instructors.
    I started the workshop about half way through my art fundamentals course and I improved so much within a month of taking the workshop. Honestly I don't think I would have gotten into animation if it weren't for the workshop. Art Fundies is a great course but it didn't help me much with my portfolio.
    Anyways I hope this helped! Good luck!

Thanks
    Hi Laura!

I'm Dayna. I did both Art Fundies and the workshop at the same time this year. I got accepted into Animation at Sheridan for this Sept.

Most of what has already been said, I agree with. I'll try not to rehash what has already been stated.

There are aspects of Art Fundies that are good. With Art Fundies, there are little take home messages that may make you feel more well-rounded in terms of different approaches to take when handling different materials or problem solving in for example figure drawing.

That being said, if you know that animation is what you truly want and your mindset is completely fixated on that, then the workshop will definitely help you develop and focus your drawing skills for the portfolio and for animation.

I knew i really wanted to get into animation and I wasn't learning what i wanted when i took Art Fundies, so i dropped it in the second semester.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to message me.

Thanks
    Hey Laura,
    I took Art Fundies last year, took the workshop this year and got accepted into Animation at Sheridan. I found value in both programs, but over the past year I've come to the realization that I need two things to do what I want to do: direction and hard work. Since your focused on getting into Animation school and you already live in Toronto, I'd suggest the workshop. It's focused on preparing you for animation and the teachers, having worked in the industry, are valuable resources. You'll get the direction you need, but of course it's up to you to work your butt off.
    Good luck and hope to see you in school

Thanks
    Hello Laura

I don't know much about Animation Portfolio Workshop but I was in Art Fundies this year. I just want you to know that from the total of 25 guys in my section that applied to animation this year, just 1 got in so I would really try somewhere else. I was very disappointed with the course and that's why I did drop out in Feb. I found it to be a waste of money and time specially for me as an international student. I can say that in the 5 months I was there I didn't learn anything. The only progress I saw was when going to the extra life sessions by my own without any teacher. So basically I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone.
    I hope this is useful so you can make the right decision.

Good Luck getting into animation

Thanks

Art Fundamentals vs. Animation Portfolio Workshop

Hey Laura,

My name is Nick. I attended Art Fundies in 2006 and the APW in 2008. My experiences were pretty disparate between the two. Subjectively, the two largest granules I gleaned from going to art fundies; the first being a better understanding of life drawing, painting, design, various 3d medium and orthographics. The Second was that I learned I didn't want to be a painter, graphic designer, technical illustrator or paper mache or wire sculptor. But to defend the program, I think that learning about who you aren't is just as valid as who you are.

As for the APW, once I learned what I wanted to be 2 years later, it was laurel and hardy baby. Abbot and Castello, and basically any golden age comedic duo you can think of. A complete fit. I never learned more about drawing methodology and sheer practise than ever before. You are right Laura, it is geared towards a specific skillset. But I conject you could use some sections of your APW portfoilio for non-animation programs. I believe the APW will require more motivation on the student's part. There is no formal grading systems or mandatory assignments. Student to teacher ratios are far better in the apw, instructor input will be much more consistent, since its just a fact of life that there will be discrepancies between teachers in large programs in what they want you to do, how to do it, and their aesthetic tastes.

If your eyes are on animation, the apw will be a better fit. If fine art seems to be the path, then fundies is also a good fit. Just be aware that there are dozens of animators (among those dozens the very best in the medium's history) who aspired first and foremost to be artists regardless of avenue. I think that beyond geographic and financial concerns (its my experience that transportation and extra materials made the apw's price compared to fundies negligible), you're going to learn more about art. It's really down to geography, finances and your affinity towards drawing/animation to a more general art education.

Last edited by TehDarkPrince; April 21st, 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typography and grammar for clarity.

Thanks
    Hey there,

I wanted to share my experience with art fundamentals at Sheridan and the Portfolio Workshop with you. I took Art Fundamentals at Sheridan twice. The first time I was ill prepared and too immature to put in the work required for a decent portfolio.

During my second time taking fundies at Sheridan I was feeling like I wasn't improving fast enough and feared another failed attempt at getting into animation. Then I met Gerard at an info session for the workshop and signed up immediately. Shortly after enrolling in the workshop I could already see the improvement in my life drawings. I decided to drop Art Fundamentals before I had to pay for the second semester and spent as much time as possible life drawing.

I can honestly say that taking the workshop was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I truly believe I would not be where I am today, making a living with my art, if I hadn't made that choice.

As people have mentioned Fundies is for people who don't know what they want to do within the arts. If you know you want to get into animation then take the workshop, take it seriously, and when you get into animation you'll have the tools you need to tackle any challenge they have to throw at you.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast