Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Sheridan's Art Fundamentals...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Sheridan's Art Fundamentals...

I'm looking between these two. Sheridan's Art Fundamental's program I have heard is more about becoming a general artist and exploring all the sides of art, and it's up to the student to really find the time to put together their portfolio. Where as Animation Portfolio Workshop seems more geared towards working on the specific skill set you need to apply to the specific programs you're intereseted in getting into.

Just wondering people's thoughts on these two?

Another weighing factor for myself, is that I live in Toronto at the moment, and I adore this city. I really don't want to move to Oakville unless I know it's a long term commitment (a.k.a. 4 years for their animation program)

I know the Art Fundamentals class is 1/2 the price, but I would have to move there, and find a new apartment, and wouldnt' really be able to work that much during the year, so the balance isn't really off set. With the Animation portfolio workshop, I could still work relatively full time, and attend my ASL classes that I've been taking.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Either course would be good to take, it really depends on what you feel would get you to your desired job I suppose.

As for transportation, what i'm doing is staying in Toronto and taking the GoTrain to Oakville.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alishka. Just wondering - do you know how many hours/week Fundies is? Like how many days of the week do we need to be out at Sheridan for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi laurabaura.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you might have about the Workshop itself.
    Meantime, I'll see if I can get some of our former Workshop students who were also Art Fundi's students at one point, and are now in the Sheridan Animation Program to post some info for you that might prove helpful in respect to your questions.

Gerard Sternik / Director

Animation Portfolio Workshop

http://www.animationportfolioworkshop.com/

Last edited by Gerard Sternik; April 14th, 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi laurabaura, my name is Lisa and I'm currently a 2nd year animation student at Sheridan. I've taken both the portfolio workshop as well as art fundamentals before I got into animation.

The main different between the two is that Art Fundamentals is very general art where you'll have a chance to use cardboard, metal wires, acrylics, etc to create various art pieces. However, they don't have assignments geared towards helping you to create a portfolio for animation.

Animation portfolio workshop is mainly focused on drawing skills. You'll be drawing from live models and also drawing and designing characters/layouts/objects etc. They focus on improving your drawing skills and creating an animation portfolio.

Personally, I think if you are still unsure what to go into, whether it's fine art, illustration, interior design, etc, then art fundamentals would be a good start for exploration and finding your interests.
    But if you are certain that you want to go into animation, then take the portfolio workshop. They'll teach you how to draw and prepare you for animation.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by laurabaura View Post
    thanks alishka. Just wondering - do you know how many hours/week Fundies is? Like how many days of the week do we need to be out at Sheridan for?
    I'm afraid I don't know, Laurabaura, I did my fundamentals degree at OCAD. Their set up may be different. I would have a six to eight hour day if i had a two-credit class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura, the best avice would most likely come from someone who has done bo art fundies and the Animation Portfolio Workshop which I have done. Im just finishing up my third year in visual creative arts at Sheridan which has been a ok experience so far.

However hindsight is 20/20 and if i had known about the Animation Portfolio Workshop before I got into art fundies or even before I started my second year im sure I not only would have saved thousands of dollars but I would have gotten into the Bachelor of Animation program sooner. I found out about the workshop at the end of my second year after applying to the illustration program at Sheridan. We started in May of 2009 and ended on the last day of February this year, the day before the day I had chosen to submit my animation portfolio, which was awesome because you have this support system that is with you from the day you start to the week before submitting portfolios.

Its my personal opinion that the things that the things that we were taught in the workshop, starting off with the basics of drawing to the more advanced aspects of drawing, should have been things that were focused on in the art fundies program.

Dont get me wrong, what you are taught in Sheridan is all good but the amount of time spent on these things are not enough, learning seems rushed, once youve been introduced to one thing one week its on to something else the next week. It is art fundamentals so they do try to introduce to the students different forms of art like painting and sculpture etc so there really isnt a single point of focus.

But in the workshop it is all drawing. What you learn in the begining carries right through till the end. For example I never knew how important basic shapes were and getting comfortable with drawing them from different veiws and angles were until I started the workshop. My thing for the longest time has been figure drawing, in art fundies you arent taught how basic shapes fit into drawing the figure and how it gives that figure stucture.

Also trying to get a teacher to spare some time to help you on your portfolio at Sheridan is like trying to throw those ring things around the necks of empty bottles at The Ex or Canadas Wonderland, its not impossible but its hard as hell. Teachers are bombarded with students asking for help around the last few mopnths before the portfolios are due, not to mention the work they already have on their plate.

Ultimately youll have to decide what coice to make. But since im giving you avice I might as well give my honest opinion and that would be to stay in Toronto spend the extra thousand or so to take the workshop and give it your all. This goes for anyone espeacially those applying to animation at Sheridan or Seneca or where ever else the Animation Portfolio Workshop is your best bet because youre taught by people that have been there and done that, people who are in the industry and its all drawing, you dont have to worry about painting or anything else, the course is very focused and you get out of it what you put into it. By the way I got into the animation program this year at Sheridan if you didnt catch that earlier. Hope this helps. Ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura! My name's Heidi and I took both the Workshop and Art Fundamentals at Sheridan.
    Art fundies is very general. If you are really focused about getting into animation then I would say take the workshop. The workshop really centers in on the aspects of the portfolio and you get lots of one on one help from the instructors. The art fundies program at Sheridan has one instructor for say 30 students which doesn't give them a lot of time to help each student individually whereas the Workshop has multiple instructors.
    I started the workshop about half way through my art fundamentals course and I improved so much within a month of taking the workshop. Honestly I don't think I would have gotten into animation if it weren't for the workshop. Art Fundies is a great course but it didn't help me much with my portfolio.
    Anyways I hope this helped! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Laura!

I'm Dayna. I did both Art Fundies and the workshop at the same time this year. I got accepted into Animation at Sheridan for this Sept.

Most of what has already been said, I agree with. I'll try not to rehash what has already been stated.

There are aspects of Art Fundies that are good. With Art Fundies, there are little take home messages that may make you feel more well-rounded in terms of different approaches to take when handling different materials or problem solving in for example figure drawing.

That being said, if you know that animation is what you truly want and your mindset is completely fixated on that, then the workshop will definitely help you develop and focus your drawing skills for the portfolio and for animation.

I knew i really wanted to get into animation and I wasn't learning what i wanted when i took Art Fundies, so i dropped it in the second semester.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to message me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura,
    I took Art Fundies last year, took the workshop this year and got accepted into Animation at Sheridan. I found value in both programs, but over the past year I've come to the realization that I need two things to do what I want to do: direction and hard work. Since your focused on getting into Animation school and you already live in Toronto, I'd suggest the workshop. It's focused on preparing you for animation and the teachers, having worked in the industry, are valuable resources. You'll get the direction you need, but of course it's up to you to work your butt off.
    Good luck and hope to see you in school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Laura

I don't know much about Animation Portfolio Workshop but I was in Art Fundies this year. I just want you to know that from the total of 25 guys in my section that applied to animation this year, just 1 got in so I would really try somewhere else. I was very disappointed with the course and that's why I did drop out in Feb. I found it to be a waste of money and time specially for me as an international student. I can say that in the 5 months I was there I didn't learn anything. The only progress I saw was when going to the extra life sessions by my own without any teacher. So basically I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone.
    I hope this is useful so you can make the right decision.

Good Luck getting into animation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Fundamentals vs. Animation Portfolio Workshop

Hey Laura,

My name is Nick. I attended Art Fundies in 2006 and the APW in 2008. My experiences were pretty disparate between the two. Subjectively, the two largest granules I gleaned from going to art fundies; the first being a better understanding of life drawing, painting, design, various 3d medium and orthographics. The Second was that I learned I didn't want to be a painter, graphic designer, technical illustrator or paper mache or wire sculptor. But to defend the program, I think that learning about who you aren't is just as valid as who you are.

As for the APW, once I learned what I wanted to be 2 years later, it was laurel and hardy baby. Abbot and Castello, and basically any golden age comedic duo you can think of. A complete fit. I never learned more about drawing methodology and sheer practise than ever before. You are right Laura, it is geared towards a specific skillset. But I conject you could use some sections of your APW portfoilio for non-animation programs. I believe the APW will require more motivation on the student's part. There is no formal grading systems or mandatory assignments. Student to teacher ratios are far better in the apw, instructor input will be much more consistent, since its just a fact of life that there will be discrepancies between teachers in large programs in what they want you to do, how to do it, and their aesthetic tastes.

If your eyes are on animation, the apw will be a better fit. If fine art seems to be the path, then fundies is also a good fit. Just be aware that there are dozens of animators (among those dozens the very best in the medium's history) who aspired first and foremost to be artists regardless of avenue. I think that beyond geographic and financial concerns (its my experience that transportation and extra materials made the apw's price compared to fundies negligible), you're going to learn more about art. It's really down to geography, finances and your affinity towards drawing/animation to a more general art education.

Last edited by TehDarkPrince; April 21st, 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typography and grammar for clarity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

I wanted to share my experience with art fundamentals at Sheridan and the Portfolio Workshop with you. I took Art Fundamentals at Sheridan twice. The first time I was ill prepared and too immature to put in the work required for a decent portfolio.

During my second time taking fundies at Sheridan I was feeling like I wasn't improving fast enough and feared another failed attempt at getting into animation. Then I met Gerard at an info session for the workshop and signed up immediately. Shortly after enrolling in the workshop I could already see the improvement in my life drawings. I decided to drop Art Fundamentals before I had to pay for the second semester and spent as much time as possible life drawing.

I can honestly say that taking the workshop was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I truly believe I would not be where I am today, making a living with my art, if I hadn't made that choice.

As people have mentioned Fundies is for people who don't know what they want to do within the arts. If you know you want to get into animation then take the workshop, take it seriously, and when you get into animation you'll have the tools you need to tackle any challenge they have to throw at you.

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up PWS,...

Hey guy's I don't know Art Fundamentals from Sheridan so I can't really say
    anything about it, but look at my sketch book and you can see my improvement.

The PWS people are very friendly,....and I like the classes,....

Of course you need to work to get there where you want to be with your
    art skills,........doesn't matter where you are in which program.

If you guy's have any Personal questions about PWS, just mail me or post here.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura, as many of the other posts in this thread, I'm also a former Art fundies student and an APW student (I also recently just got accepted to Seneca animation). Like several people have said already, art fundies tends to tackle a broader range of artistic forms and mediums. Definitely more for figuring out what you want to do eventually as an artist. The Animation Portfolio Workshop was more specifically geared at improving skill sets that would really help your portfolio for animation. If you do intend to go into Sheridan's animation, the skills the workshop focuses on will provide you with a much stronger base than art fundies will. They've also had some people take the workshop and apply to different programs (The staff will always help you as long as you ask and want to improve!).

My personal experience is that I did not enjoy the Art fundamentals program (I already knew I wanted to go to Animation and apply to Illustration as a back up). When Portfolio crunch time came (for any program), there was no reprieve or break time to really focus on the Portfolio itself. Finding help was even harder as most other Animation students will likely have their own work to worry about as well as Teachers being constantly swamped as mentioned above. However, Sheridan does offer free extra life drawing sessions for Art fundamental students. Very helpful for when you can find time to go (however, without anyone to instruct or help you, it gets frustrating at times). If its news to you, the portfolio should really be at least a 1-2 month project, not 1 week, if you want to get the best results from your work for any program.
    The short version of this was, I didn't have the time or help I needed when I needed it, at least not without putting in twice the amount of school work hours.

The workshop was very iffy for me at first, and had me skeptical because of the steep price but I was very pleased coming out of it and don't regret it. The workshop schedule allowed me to work during the week, and to practice/hone my portfolio skills more easily when I could find time (something I couldn't do easily juggling assignments and sleep in Art Fundies). There was much more 1 on 1 time in the work shop when it came to getting help from staff; something I think was extremely valuable in helping me improve where I wanted/needed to. I also have to say the travel time was much more friendly on me , even considering both class locations (which are relatively close to Subway stations in Toronto downtown). I don't miss taking the early and late trains to/from Oakville at all. The short version of this is I was learning what I wanted/needed to learn and was getting the sorely needed help whenever asked.

So after saying all that, I would have to say the workshop was much more flexible and helpful for me since I knew where I wanted to end up. Art fundies did what the program description says, which was introduce art fundamental theories and practices to beginning students. Both helped me get where I am now, but the workshop was more what I wanted from a classroom overall.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I live in downtown toronto, not far from union station. Commuting everday really took its toll on me going to Art Fundies.

Last edited by KwanCo; April 26th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanCo View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to mention I live in downtown toronto, not far from union station. Commuting everday really took its toll on me going to Art Fundies.
    Well that cracks it. If someone who lives near union felt troubled with transportation to Sheridan, i'm driving! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura,

My name's Muzammil. I was a former student of APW and I also did the Sheridan Fundies program.

It's simple! it all depends on what you want to do. If you wanna get into animation either at Seneca or Sheridan. I would advice you that you take the Animation Portfolio workshop, 'cause you'll focus on making a strong portfolio so you get in. Every term, 11/12 applicants get in to their desired program the first time they enroll in the program. This is all due to the amazing teachers and they know exactly what you need to get in.

But if you just want to explore art forms, then take Fundies. I personally found it a waste of time since everything was rushed and you don't have enough time to do your best and the goal is very broad. Whereas at APW, you got a single goal, to get in to animation, so you focus on that and do your best. APW eliminates any extra bull**** so that you can focus on becoming a fine craftsman/craftswomen and get into your desired animation.

P.S. Traveling to Oakville from Toronto just to catch your 9am Lecture class is hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just me does anyone find it really weird there was like 7 replies from first time posters that all started the email with hey laura?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murdoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would certainly recommend APW, not just as a means to create a good portolio for college, but to improve your drawing skills overall. I noticed a dramatic improvement in my drawing skills and continue to use the principles I learned there. I also took classes previously at TSA, and during my time at Seneca college, and APW was better than both. I'm glad I took it, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to draw for whatever reason, but especially animation. However, be prepared to WORK - the classes are long and take lots of concentration, but like all things, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys while we're talking about art fundies, i have a question: does art fundies help you get into illustration then if not animation? Cause i'm still indecisive on whether to go into animation or illustraton. Also to anyone whose taken art fundies, are you allowed to choose what to focus on? i know that theres a broad range of art forms they teach, but can you just pick a couple from the whole list?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Visona,

In the past, art fundamentals had two streams dedicated to those who were either interested in Illustration or Animation. It would be best to call Sheridan Registrars and inquire whether or not the two streams are still offered. During my last bit of correspondence with sheridan staff involved in fundies, there is only a general stream now. I can't comment on how the two streams diverged from one another since I was in a general stream.

Secondly, if the program has retained is format from 2006, then you have no control over what courses you take. Granted it's the same as I remember, your courses are:

Drawing (life drawing and object drawing)
    Painting
    2D design
    3D design (various sculptural mediums and other kinds of crafting)
    Technical Drawing/Imaging Systems (similar to high school drafting courses. Heavy on perspective and as the name implies, very technically oriented.)

in the first semester you will also have a communications course that focuses on art as a communicative medium. It will focus on movements including surrealism, romanticism and modernism/post modernism. This will involve more lecture than work. In the second semester you'll finish this course and choose a basic elective.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDarkPrince View Post
    Yo Visona,

In the past, art fundamentals had two streams dedicated to those who were either interested in Illustration or Animation. It would be best to call Sheridan Registrars and inquire whether or not the two streams are still offered. During my last bit of correspondence with sheridan staff involved in fundies, there is only a general stream now. I can't comment on how the two streams diverged from one another since I was in a general stream.

Secondly, if the program has retained is format from 2006, then you have no control over what courses you take. Granted it's the same as I remember, your courses are:

Drawing (life drawing and object drawing)
    Painting
    2D design
    3D design (various sculptural mediums and other kinds of crafting)
    Technical Drawing/Imaging Systems (similar to high school drafting courses. Heavy on perspective and as the name implies, very technically oriented.)

in the first semester you will also have a communications course that focuses on art as a communicative medium. It will focus on movements including surrealism, romanticism and modernism/post modernism. This will involve more lecture than work. In the second semester you'll finish this course and choose a basic elective.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Prince. You went to art fundies? how did it help you with getting into illustration/animation (like what are the benefits...and maybe wat are the things that weren't so good)? Im curious to know how many of the people that wanted to get into illustration and animation actually got in after taking art fundies. Oh and one more thing what does 2-D design mean? like photoshop and working with other graphics software? sorry if im asking too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YO! Laurabaura!(since some one was asking why most of the reply start with a HEY~ that's why i start with a yo~XDDD)

anyway~
    well~
    this is Leslie here~ let me share some of my own experience with you~

i am a Sheridan animation graduate~
    before i got my job and way before i get into sheridan animation program~

i try both Art fund' and animation portfolio workshop~

same as the other replies~

first thing you need to make sure and ask yourself is that~

what you REALLY want to do?

if you REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to get into ANIMATION or ILLUSTRATION~
    i suggest you get into Animation Portfolio Workshop~

the main point is they really teach/train you the real basic for building a RIGHT Animation/Illustrartion Portfolio

as all the others mention before~
    Art Fund' let you explore different type of art form~
    if you are NOT SURE where you want to go~
    but you just know you want to do somthing related to ART and find a way from there~
    so you may take Art fund'~

as i remember taking Art fund' normally each day won't take more then 6 hrs of classtime~ and if you are lucky you may got a one of two dayoff~
    (of course not include your real hard work extra life drawing time~)
    so just base on the course each week is about 20 something hrs~

i don't know is sheridan Art fund' still have this system~
    but before i graduated from sheridan
    i heard that the Art fund' course has changed into somekind of a 2 years course~

they have the MOST Fundamentals~ Art Fundamentals program~

and also have 2 more EXTRA courses for Animation Fundamentals and Illustration Fundamentals~

what's these program is for~

your portfolio is not good enough to get into the real Animation/Illustrartion Program~
    BUT! your work is good enough to get into Animation/Illustration Fundamentals to build another stronger portfolio to get into the real Animation/Illustration program!

since as i mention before, i heard this before i graduate from sheridan so i don't know is that system still exist in sheridan art fund' course~
    and i don't know if that course really exist, and do they really help the student build a good portfolio to get into the animation program~

but if you REALLY understand you really aimming for Animation and Illustration~
    i suggest you to take the Animation Portfolio Workshop~
    since they really give/teach/train you the right tools and right set of skill to get into what you want!

but if you want to explore different art form~
    then take art fund'~

i hope this will help u~

good luck on everything~~
    if u got any question i am happy to answer~

enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Laura,
    I have just finished up my first year enrolled in Sheridan's Art Fundamentals program, and shortly after failing to get into animation had signed up for the Animation Workshop sessions. I have only been to one class so far, so unfortunately I am unable to provide you with a detailed description of how the class goes. However, aside from the technicalities I can tell you about what I have experienced so far:

To be honest, right from the start, I was pretty confused with Sheridan's whole system. I knew Sheridan was the place to be for animation, but finding out any information on the best way to get there was a task. It became the general consensus that students should take art fundamentals. After signing up, I had learned about Visual Creative Arts, the first year being the same material as art fundamentals. If you don't get into animation, my back up plan was to transfer to visual creative 2nd year and then continue with that. However, what they did not explain was that because I am enrolled in art fundies I do not necessarily automatically get a spot for the class. This means that having an art fundamentals course in the first place is pointless. I still don't know if am enrolled in a course for sheridan next semester, and it seems like none of the course directors know either. I find that the school does not show any appreciation for students what so ever, and every registration related topic is always a task to deal with (but that's another story haha..)

There are a lot of fundies students, and a lot of classes. I don't know about others, but mine was pretty full, about 25-30 people. This puts a lot of stress on the teachers to try and help everyone and in my personal opinion I don't believe people are getting the one on one time they deserve with the teachers. In a few classes, where on occasion I would require assistance, I generally would have to wait at least half hour before getting the chance to speak. As well, I found I was often being "skipped" at times where the teacher would walk around the room, looking at work and offering criticism. I would sometimes have to literally stop, turn around and make eye contact to get anything. I found the opposite when I went to the first Animation Workshop session. I felt like the teachers were completely committed to helping us achieve our goal, practically breaking a sweat pacing around the room shouting comments, and keeping a great energetic vibe going!

As well, the concepts in art fundamentals move SO QUICKLY. I feel like Sheridan's system does not tie in the material together well at all. Weeks would go by and I would not be able to recall or apply anything I had learned previously. Important subject matter, and techniques were presented in a mild fashion but QUICKLY. One day I was doing simple gesture drawings in class, then I would be pulling my hair out weeks later wondering what I should even be practicing/focusing on in life drawing sessions. Eventually I resorted to drawing books, and then trust me, trying to balance an array of drawing techniques loosely organized in your mind is pretty difficult. My mind was always cluttered with nonsense when I was drawing and I didn't even know what I was learning in class anymore. Not to mention, the homework. from constructing wire insects, to drawing frying pans, there is homework and it was always a drag. I felt like I was just being forced to do completely unrelated things that aren't helping me get into animation, and as a result started to like drawing less. The load isn't bad, if you are serious about art it will come easy, however portfolio time is a different issue. Students are forced to compile a portfolio covering a series of concepts they haven't yet even been presented with (or ever will be), all at the same time of trying to keep up with homework. Remember, once you take art fundamentals, you have to have a good enough GPA to get accepted to animation regardless of skill. As mentioned, around this time teachers become bombarded with portfolio review requests, and in turn, become inapproachable, especially to help you with concepts you aren't familiar with. When I went to Sheridan's Anim. info seminar, the animation teachers said themselves some of the portfolio is quite unfair, considering students aren't taught the appropriate subject matter in art fundies/ visual creative.

This is where, for me, the Animation Workshop gained vantage over sheridan. Where as art fundamentals/visual creative is a general overview of art, the Animation Workshop prepares you for ANIMATION. Gerard had explained that the whole course was built around Sheridan's portfolio requirements, which is perfect for me. I decided not to kid myself any longer. I want to be in animation, so why bother lying to myself and doing anything OTHER than the one thing that has been established to get me there? In case you are wondering, I maintained decent grades in fundies, usually receiving 70s-75s as my lowest marks (always in life drawing). I'm going to be completely honest with you, and tell you that as I look back, all I have really taken from fundies is a set of pretty pictures that have cost me hundreds of dollars in art supplies and hundreds of hours that could have been better spent practicing. Practice was encouraged at sheridan, and they did provide the necessary tools, however I was always confused as to what I should be practicing because the class moved so quick. I was doing full rendered drawings, but still had no idea how the underlying gesture worked. The teacher's also insist on getting an animation student as a tutor (the first 10 are free from tuition) to help you in extra life drawing sessions, as it is very beneficial to receive one on one input from some one who knows the requirements. If that's the case why wouldn't you take this session and get the professional help that is necessary?

Exactly...

I Hope that helped. I don't want to discourage you from taking art fundies there are some valuable things I've learned, but if you are committed to animation I would suggest taking a more drastic step to getting there because I assure you art fundies won't do it. In the end when it comes down to it, it's practice you need. You also need to know what needs to be focused on and that becomes difficult when the whole world of art slaps you in the face in just one semester. The guys at Animation Workshop portfolio have really made me feel like they have a great understanding of the learning curve that is necessary to create a successful portfolio, and have already within one class convinced me I'm where I should be (which after 2 semesters art fundies still couldn't do).

-Rich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Laura !

I'm Iris and I graduated last year frm Seneca's Animation program, but I took the Animation Portfolio Workshop and got into my program after high school - never taken Art Fundamentals but I can tell you about the workshop !

The workshop is steered towards getting into an Animation program and I felt that it really helped to prepare me for the first year, especially life drawing ! For me, all the exercises I've learnt and the processes of drawing has been invaluable and by the end of the workshop, the differences between my drawings from the first class to the last were so huge! The workshop definitely improved my drawing skills - I don't think I would have been able to get accepted into my animation program so soon if I haven't taken the workshop.

If you're interested in being a general artist in different mediums, Art Fundamentals would be a good choice to explore what your interests are. If you're interested being a general artist in terms of being able to do different aspects of a story (layout, character design, animation, storyboard, etc), then animation is the way to go !

Hope this helps you ! Good luck with whichever you decide on !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Portfolio Workshop vs. Art Fundamentals

A question that always comes up when I speak with students looking to sign up for our program is basically, "do I get the same thing out of taking the Workshop as I get out of taking Art Fundamentals"...and I'm glad to see that the reply that I give to students with this question is reflected very clearly in this thread.

You don't get the same thing out of taking the Animation Portfolio Workshop as you do from Art Fundamentals.
    Although the programs share some similarities, they are fundamentally very very different from each other.

Art Fundi's is for people trying to formulate a direction in the arts, trying to "find their feet" as it were and figure out a more specialized area to move into....
    The Workshop is comprised of students who know exactly where they want to go, and want only one thing; a specific focussed way of getting into the animation school of their choice.

It really is that simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Question about Animation Portfolio Workshop

Hey,

Could you please give me more details about your course? After reading the forum, I'm interested in checking it out. Possibly taking it.

Where is it?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi Idhren.

Thanks for your questions......

To start with, one of the most efficient ways to learn about the Workshop is to go to this link and carefully explore the information that's available.

Our website:

Here you'll find basic breakdowns of the course information, the cost of the Workshop, length of the program, location etc.

Also, most importantly you'll find a bunch of animation portfolios from our former students who have gone on to study in a variety of animation programs.

There is a section that has videos about the Workshop, with interviews from educators, students and parents of Workshop students talking about a variety of topics that relate to our program.

If you are an international student, you might be interested in the Portfolio Workshop International program.
    The PWI is a condensed version of the Workshop, designed to give students an opportunity to study with us intensely.
    You’ll find a heading for this program under the About The Courses tab.

Other than that, as you can see from the posts on this thread, we are not a general art program like the Art Fundamentals program at Sheridan College for example.
    Our students generally come to us really feeling like they want to go in the direction of studying in an animation school, and we concentrate on teaching them the skills to make the portfolio to get into the animation school of their choice.

There are of course exceptions to this scenario, and we do have students studying with us who want to go into illustration programs, visual art programs etc....and yes,we even have students come and study with us just because they want to learn how to draw.

Please look over the site, and then come back and post your specific questions....

Hope that helps for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile PWI

Hey,

Thank you for answering my questions. I looked over your website, and I wanted to know more about international students. It provided me with a bit of information, but I am still unsure as to how things would go for me.

I am currently living in Dublin, Ireland.

Would I have to get a visa? And by saying one to one, you mean that the student gets a separate tutor? This is more the concern for me, as everything else you have told me is pretty clear.

Thanks again for the help.

-Idhren

Last edited by Idhren; May 17th, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PWI program

Hi Idren.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner.

The PWI program is not really like other programs for international students, because it is tailor made for the individual student, in every sense.
    A PWI student is taught privately for 6 hours a day, and has regular critiques out side of this class time.
    There is also daily homework assignments that have to be kept up to date as well.
    The course material is essentially the same as the Workshop , but this too can be altered somewhat.....
    We just taught a student in the PWI program, who chose to study only life drawing with us as opposed to both life drawing and drawing for animation.

In order to qualify for the program, Vincent Peets and I have to first look over your work to see what basic level you're at.
    Then based on what we see, we'll tell you if it's worth your while to even pursue the PWI program in the first place.

The PWI program is not always suited for every student that applies, because some students need to do more background work before they start the program in order to get their money's worth.
    In order to make a certain amount of progress in a given time, a student has to be ready to handle the material that we give them in a condensed fashion, compared to how it would be handled in the regular 9 month program.

The first step is for me to look over your work.
    Then I can give you my assessment.

Hope this helps.

Gerard

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 43