Complete novice!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Complete novice!

Hi,

I'm having trouble working out what to do next with this interior perspective. Obviously this has been done roughly but I don't know where to start in terms of tone, reflection and shadow. Any tips on brick and wood texture as well?

The wall to the left is constructed of frosted glass and has another brick wall behind.

I am using (badly) CS3 and a Wacom Bamboo

Thanks.

PS. I am a 1st year architectural student so if anyone is up for being my mentor that would be fantastic

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by drewm; April 13th, 2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Picture too large
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image you posted is WAY too large, try posting something around 800 pixels high that way we can see it all at once, no scrolling and no right clicking shenanigans.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you've started out with some lineart and then painted on top of that. I'd definitely keep the lineart in a separate layer.

Instead of trying to paint inside the lines, old paintbook style I'd use layer masks. That way you can quickly and bluntly overpaint things you aren't satisfied with without loosing the form of the room.

Apart from ambient occlusion, which is shadows in corners and crevices, doing interior lighting without any light sources is impossible or all black. If that white area in the background is a window you can use that, but that will be very directional light - so maybe add some lamps.

The frosted glass I would probably do in its own layer and generally wait with until the end, so that I could construct it from blurring what is behind it and adjust brightness/contrast and saturation accordingly. Find reference and see what frosted glass does to what you see through it.

Depending on how you want to render the brick wall you can paint or stretch some texture over it (cgtextures.com) is a good place to look.

But if you are indeed brand new to drawing/painting, this is a complex task. Just have at it and don't worry too much about if it looks "good enough".

Best of luck.

-NWS

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.