Sketchbook: Squid Pro Quo (Mk. II) The NEW Sketchbook of Mitchell Malloy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Squid Pro Quo (Mk. II) The NEW Sketchbook of Mitchell Malloy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Squid Pro Quo (Mk. II) The NEW Sketchbook of Mitchell Malloy

Holy fuck that title is long. I had another sketchbook on here that died hard, and was full of mostly pretty bad artwork (though some of it I liked), and I figured I should try harder. So many people are out there on these forums with like 50 SB pages and they are doing brilliantly. I've got my three and I haven't gotten anywhere. This, then, is my renewed effort to improve rapidly, constantly, with unstoppable force. Let's see how long it takes to fall apart this time.

Anyway some info: my name is Mitchell Malloy, I'm 19 years old (or whatever age I will be when you read this; born on July 4, 1991 so you can figure the math, haha!), and I am an Illustration student at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I don't have much actual work experience in the arts: I worked on a few now-defunct projects, including Shattered Lineage, XTrusion, etc. If you haven't heard of them, neither has anybody else, so it's okay. Currently though I am working for Warbird Games on the upcoming Jack Houston and the Necronauts, along with others like Patrick Reilly and Giacomo Tappainer. Art for it will probably appear here now and again.

Oh, and here is a link to the old one: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104587

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by radioblur; January 9th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few new ones from my sketchbook. Thought they might help kick this thing off a bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple more things I scanned recently. A couple of character concepts to do with this theme I had in mind, of a post-apocalyptic scenario in say Northern Canada. Nuclear winter, as opposed to the usual hot, arid, dry and sunny wastes of the usual apocalyptic scenarios. So this is that for you. It's fun as hell to draw either way. I just hope it reads well.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the little squares with faces in them, think i'm gonna lend that idea if you don't mind
    The concepts are nice too. Will you be colouring them perhaps. I'll have to break your bubble as to the originality though: there's a european comic called Snow (by Convard i believe) which takes place in a post-apo winter setting. Good read tho, don't know if there are any english translations out there. Anyways, you're off to a good new start, hope to see more. Cheers!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pencils and awesome concepts for the clothes! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the faces inside the squares. A lot of variety in them. I also like the clothed concepts. Nice lines and nicely detailed. Keep it up!

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and I'm talented? pffft

you put talented on a different level, mate!

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walnut: Please go ahead, man, they're fun as hell. Thanks for the comment man, and I definitely have to check out that comic now; it sounds rather excellent. I will be coloring them as soon as I am not bogged down with Spring Show work here at the Academy. Soooo many oil paintings to touch up...

Soros: No problem, and thanks for looking, man!!

FraserMcT: Thanks, it means a lot to me. I need to work on the structure and everything still, but it was certainly a helpful practice.

Vatsel: Don't give me that nonsense, now! Haha, thanks man, and you had better keep kicking ass over there. That shit drives me.

In terms of updates this one rather sucks (god I am so sorry). These are just some roughs and color tests for my Digital Media class. I'm touching these up and refining a bunch of silhouettes (we only had to do ten, but I did like 38 ) and doing another four characters on top of the one you see. The variation on the right is the one I'm going with (via class vote) with the goggles from the second one. I still have to do turnarounds for all of them too, and redo that environment. Looooooong week ahead of me over here.

Oh, and these had to be in a classmate's style, hence the super-deformed look.

And as for the city, well that was just a color/lighting test for class. Next I am going to have to refine the sunset sketch into a sunrise (sooo much fog) and do a mock-up 3d model for it to make the painting easier. Portfolio, hoooooooo!!~

Last edited by radioblur; April 30th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow. awesome start to your new sketchbook! i hope you do stay motivated to post more often, for my sake! i could use the inspiration. your linework is so good, nice and balanced. definately keep going!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats: Thanks so much! I will do my best to keep this ball a-rolling.

So here is a warrior guy I just scribbled in the finishing touches for, and some drawings I did at the AAU bus stop earlier outside the Sutter Dorms (iHouse). They aren't great, but it was sunny out and these were pretty quick and dirty, and I had a helluva lot of fun. More soon!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook Radioblur ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the proportions and faces in your characters/figures. Great work

there ain´t no good guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Relly good man!!!!

learning to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovin it!

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    insane drawings on post #3, waiting to see more of it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Towy: thanks! Your art is pretty kickass dude, might have to subscribe ;>
    AntonHallström: Thanks, it means a lot.
    ajtabril: Thanks so much.
    Vatsel: I'm glad of it. I have to check out your latest post still. I'm sure it is great.
    ProgDraws: Thanks, they are among my favorites too, hopefully I will make something else that will live up to it soon.

Finished the variations on the main character, just have to do the turnarounds for her final. The other is the rough for the Robot character. I'll update as I finish things up.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooooo
    feeling like a kid in a candy store here

show us MORE sweet works dammit!

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool start of a sketchbook RaidoBlur the drawings are tight. and the line work is great if theirs any advice i could give is that you want those silhouettes to read the same as if they were fully rendered, what i mean is the the general silhouette should convey the same feeling as the final result. Lets say for the villein you want the feeling of dread, evil, impending doom, or scary,to convey. lets use scary a twisted manipulated form thats unrecognizable works or dread maybe interlocking overlapping designs that convey a big amount of depth just with in a suggestion. Idk hopefully that helps i think you know what your doing So keep it up

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome concepts! Cant wait till I get that good, if I ever do. Keep it up; Id like to see this thread grow.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vatteh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vatsel: As always, thanks so much Vatsel. I fully intend to deliver. Hopefully I won't fall short of your expectations! ;>
    Demo: Thanks so much for the critique. You are absolutely right, I do tend to lose something in translation. I don't know for sure that there is anything I can immediately do about it though except be aware and keep working. But now that I've been made aware, I hope I don't go about making the same mistake again. Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate it.
    Vatteh: I am sure you will. I am not really that good right now, not compared to people like Wesley Burt and Daniol Chavez, or the almighty Craig Mullins. I have such a loooooooong way to go!!

Here is a WIP of the front and back. This started as a pencil drawing of both the front and back, but some of it was off and the face didn't look right without value on it (it looked like a decent face, but it didn't look like her if that makes sense? I don't know, maybe it wasn't such a decent face then) so I am painting over everything. This is almost at the size it will be displayed at (except at a higher resolution and on high quality paper), so anything visible at this size will be so in the final version, sans crappy blobby painting where I haven't worked very much. Comments and critiques DEFINITELY welcome--more than welcome really. I actively pursue critiques usually, so anything at all you think about it that could be fixed, let me know now. There is time to save it yet, haha~

EDIT: Oh, and her name is Sarah "Viz" MacKenzie, for all intents and purposes. So yeah, Viz, meet world. World, meet this character here who I will probably not draw again unless it is for this assignment. ;>

29. The Following User Says Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I REALLY like your style, I am totally following this SB! You sure do have some solid work here! Keep up the good work it is an inspiration to me!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to greyskill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man ,your paper works are very nice,I like your line ! Your design are also nice!keep the nice work up!my friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm.....
    I see your updates,
    and raise you with more updates!

lets see how long you can keep up

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    greyskill: Haha, glad to be an inspiration--that is like the greatest compliment ever. Thar sort of thing really drives me!~ :>
    LAL: Thanks a bundle. Will do!
    Vatsel: Damn it, is this going to be a war? I think you might win!! I'll give it my all to best you. Good Day, sir.

Finished character sheet for Viz. Onto bigger and better things now (like the other characters haha!)Attachment 970030

Last edited by radioblur; January 9th, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioblur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe a war I'm losing to your skill level though so it's all good

keep up! this stylized stuff is lookin good mate

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, really like that girl with the hand concept. Really great pencils in the beginning as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! what impressed me the most were the drawings you did of people at the bus stop, and that whole sheet of just faces earlier! there's so much variety in your technique, it's amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vatsel: Thanks! I'm not much for my more stylized work, but it helps mix things up. :>
    jskotte: Appreciated! Cheers!
    surus: Haha, soon enough. School is something of a bitch lately (finallllls) so I mostly have digital work to finish.
    NeonDuck: Thanks, though I'm not sure if that isn't just because I kind of suck. Still, appreciated!

Soooo... Sorry in advance for this update. It is awful. Life is busy over here though! After the Spring Show dies down it should get better.

A couple of awesome things first: Henry Yan gave me and two of my classmates a personal recommendation to the Foundations Dept. director here at the Academy of Art for the Spring Show. Rather than be limited to 5 submissions, we all submitted our entire sketchpad, and the director pulled out all the ones she wanted--like 11 or more of them. Unfortunately this means I will have to get photos of them at the show (or after the judging, if some of them don't make the cut). I will photograph all of the drawngs in my pad around next wednesday. In addition, some of my illustration work will be in the show, and I am waiting to here back about some others (perspective, analysis of form).

Also, I have a bunch of Still Life paintings from my class I need to photograph. Some of the more recent stuff is starting to look really decent! It feels pretty good, until I walk by the 79 Gallery and am reminded how far I have to go.

So here's some stuff. The silhouettes were just a practice thing, and the jungle scene is a WIP from Jack Houston and the Necronauts. I am like 4 and a half hours into this one, and most of that was done in 20 minute gaps between homework. So busy!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I never got those photos of my still lifes and figure drawings sorted out, though some of my work did end up getting shown in the Academy of Art Spring Show. Anyway, here's a couple of sketches. I have a lot more coming really soon so sit tight and let this hold you over for the time being.

Guess I got kind caught up in the break from school or something; not nearly enough art getting done for how much time i have, even with work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4