Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BLARGHHH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face BLARGHHH.

WARNING: MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT.

Hi! Iím new to the art world... well.... Iím new to creating ďartĒ. Iíve always enjoyed viewing concept art and have occasionally scribbled in my note books but I havenít produced anything of value. Recently I decided to take a step forwards and chose to get over my fear of the pencil. Unfortunately itís been harder than I first envisaged. Overwhelmed is an understatement, after viewing gorgeous illustrations I tend to attack mine with ruthless criticism and then walk away......

As such Iíd like to make note: Giving up because I produce inferior sketches will not be tolerated. Just because I canít draw whatís in my mind doesnít mean I should give up! I will improve but I need to produce copious amounts of crap first. I really shouldnít be diving into the deep end (conceptart.org) but since the journals here have inspired me, I felt obliged to regurgitate my stuff here. *blargh* Iím also not very fond of the furries that seem so prevalent on DA.

Hopefully this thread will show improvements along my long path to producing "stuff". Thatís another thing; I donít know where I want to go with the stuff I produce. I honestly just want to create and represent ideas that pop into my head. I love the funky critters in my dreams.

Honestly, I have no idea wtf Iím doing. Iím so out of my league. All I know is that that Iím having awesome fun! MY TIME IN THE BACKSEAT IS OVER! GIVE ME THE FUCKING PENCIL!

Anyways enough rambling and procrastination. Evidently I'm fearfull of posting. If youíre still reading this I present to you some of my fledgling attempts:

Sorry about the love hearts. -.-' The chicks with the guns are from an awesome online game I used to play. Well... The literal hand-chainsaw concept anyways. They didn't have female skins though.

Name:  Argh2.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  24.4 KB
    Name:  CrocMouseVag.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  87.0 KB
    Name:  Sketches2.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  CamelChick.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  46.3 KB
    Name:  DSC00190.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  DSC00195.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  stuff.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  26.3 KB
    Name:  Blub.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  87.5 KB

As you can see, I have a problem with finishing my scribbles, symmetry and quite simply all of the basic fundamentals. Iím looking to amend this by studying things that I tend to run away from rather than drawing from my imagination. I seriously need a good kick up the ass, I will not be lazy!

I canít believe I actually posted. -_-' I hope Iím heading in the right direction.

Oh and because I'm somewhat insane here's a message to the future me:
    If you haven't improved, you haven't studied enough. If you have improved, you better be laughing. ~ Your past self.

Last edited by Prion; April 30th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I have trouble also completing a sketch

When I read your words i felt me talking. Like you I have taken the plunge to make public my efforts. There are a number of folks I have been following for years at CA and each one of them have just leaped forward. I am particularly fond of those who experiment good, bad and ugly and complete their ideas.

I lost the artist in me for over 25 years, so I am way older than most, but I am comfortable with the creative journey. My spiritual self is number one, art though is a passion.

I think your sketches are whimsical in a good way. After loads of reading art books, I am of the opinion getting to the gesture of a subject is important. I think technical is very much needed, but to keep the creative juices flowing I find gesture sketching is great.

I suggest though you might want to learn more about anatomy. Goodwill stores (any such outlet) have great toys that include horses and birds and stuff for observation. I learned here at CA that it does not matter what you observe in real time, it is the exercise of observation that counts. A duh moment for me....but a good way to learn how to draw.

Being an artist is a lifetime commitment to errors, erasers, mistakes, thousands of sketches on one subject with the aim of getting a work that satisfies you. You must love what you are doing, because it is a million hours alone with your canvas, your sketchbook, your work. The pay off just your own knowledge you are doing what you love and for a happy few selling their works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sombertwin View Post
    I think your sketches are whimsical in a good way. After loads of reading art books, I am of the opinion getting to the gesture of a subject is important. I think technical is very much needed, but to keep the creative juices flowing I find gesture sketching is great.
    I agree there sombertwin.

Sketching is a vital part of any art, keep doing it.

As for the quality, some of this stuff is quite good, particularly some of the creature concepts.

Maybe get involved in Creature of the Week (C.O.W)

My advice is to try getting in the basic shape first, it's just as quick, and helps bring the whole concept to a roughly finished stage very quickly.

Check out this video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNg4OMvXDUc

Keep going, practice is the only way to improve.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I had to post something...........

Hey, thanks for the kind comments. I'll take note.

@ Droid. Awesome vid. Unfortunately I don't have any digital-software. My roomies a photographer so I may be able to borrow photoshop from him. Oh and COW looks Freaking insane! I already have some ideas and will post them later.... I need to do some animal studies first and then refine my ideas. Even then, I doubt I should post in there lol. I'll see how I go. Seriously it looks just awesome, the creatures omggg so cool. Ppl here rock nuff said.

@sombertwin The dummies are a brilliant idea. Those lil wooden figures look adorable. When I get enough money I'll visit the art shop. I already have some animal models and skulls around my room so I'll use those for still life in the time being. (Who'd have thought being a nature freak would help me in art....)

I haven't scribbled much today as I've been trying to take in some tutorials on prospective, lines and just some other basic things. Here's page 1 of 4, can't be buggered resizing the others. Ya can't see em anyway because of the shitty light. btw, those arn't muscles on the fish thing just mass. Woooo matter, MATTERRRRRR everywhere! Or should I say mass. 0.o

Name:  shittylight.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  101.5 KB

As you can see, it's just me trying things out/experimenting.

Now I have to get back to my "real" studies.... the joys of being a student. lol. Luckily they include biochem, psychology and *drum roll* anatomy and physiology. Hehe, the later should help me, especially we get up to the muscluar system. *dances*

I wrote too much again. :X

Expect less words and more stuff tomorrow.............. Photoshop om nom nom

Last edited by Prion; April 10th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some times you can transform your laziness to a quality. If you don't like to spend hours on rendering with pencil, maybe you can use another medium (like digital coloring) to go faster. I say that because I'm for sure more lazy than you !

But your sketches are good, so continue updating.

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm agree with Droid, those creature doodles are promising (I'm envious ), I'd love to see COW entries made by you in the future
    And no matter the quality of your doodles (not like it would be so bad), if you practice, that's a good start. I horribly lacked that vital part for years, even if it seems unbelievable. Your attitude seems to be okay too so you can't help it, you will improve.
    I'm rooting for you (and if you put clear humanoid drawings here, I do my best to take them apart *lovely innocent smile* I have an eye for anatomical flaws *shrugs*)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really shouldnít be diving into the deep end (conceptart.org)
    Donít worry; you happened across a rubber ring and some armbands when you plunged in. What was the worst that could have happened? People ridicule you and laugh you off the site. Well some people, me included, like your creature drawings; pretty good going right.

I donít know if your problem is laziness. I mean, over all you do enough work to have finished a piece or two, but you donít, you move onto something else. It might be a bad thing or a good thing depending on how you look at it. Well, you could try to force yourself to finish one every now and again just to show yourself you can do it, or you could learn to draw so fast it will be done before you know what hits you.

Iím sure youíll improve and keep at it, even if you end up been ridiculed and laughed off the site. Then, if that happened, in a number of years you could come back and show us all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks guys.

I managed to get my hands on photoshop 5.0 ^_^ I LOVE IT!!!! I've been playing it for the good half of the arvo. Just trying to work out where the brushes are and things. Below are the results of some of my experiments:

Name:  studies.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  17.8 KB
    Name:  Shilloettes2.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  24.0 KB

I'm going to give cow a shot. The topic was harvestor and I immediately thought of 3 things, a collector like a bee, mutated axe man or a biological experiment designed to help with the harvesting of trees. (lol talk about a crazy mind...) I chose the later, gonna try to give it fur and scales etc, etc. woot, tis fun even though I HNFI where i'm going, I watched a couple of tute vids so at least im not in 100% in the dark, but its still trial and error. Lots of anatomical errors, it looks too friendly etc. Gotta try and fix things when I get time. Hopefully this week although I have exams comming up.

Name:  shilloettes.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  wipHarvester.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  32.2 KB

Gah, I need to study from life still.... my mind is a distraction >.> Oh well at least im learning to photoshop, albeit with trial and error. lol

@TheGeek, Thanks! I'm giving it a shot. I'll still stick to the good ol pencil and paper for the majority of the work though as I have to do everything on the computer with a mouse. >.> It's not that bad as I have okish control thanks to gaming but It's just not the same. :3

@shiNIN Thanks for the kind comment. If you haven't noticed, i've been putting off human anatomy because I know its so picky...... and tbh humans don't interest me as much as creatures. However I will try to conquor them as I believe human anatomy will transfer into all aspects of what of create. Form etc is something I have yet to fully get my head around. hehe.

@PurplePlatypus Thanks, I'm already noticing how friendly the people are here. Tis awesome! I guess we all have a common goal; to improve. I'm going to try to finish some work, time is the key.. too many exams this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, update time. I've been busy with uni and that but I've been scribbling whenever I get free time Here's some pages from my sketch book. I acidently spilled water on one page q_q Oh welll........ I did some naked pics so the gigantic NSFW letters have a purpose. lol

Name:  sketches2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  Sketches.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  46.5 KB

Cow wips. It's one hell of a learning experience. I'm still trying to work out where to put color etc etc... I'm not happy with the legs and torso but I was itching to play around with photoshop again. :] Wooooo!

Name:  HarvesterWIP.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  35.9 KB

Back to grinding my drawing level lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

staying active

I really do not have much to add...except...encouragement to keep sketching....seems like you like fantasy characters...I am a sci fi fan...but never consider drawing sci fi figures. hmmmm

I also like your sketchbook book composition. I had read that consideration for sketchbook composition is often overlooked. Sometimes...particularly for animation, concept artist, etc the sketchbook is a well travel recording of how the artist thinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some posemaniacs today, but I left my camera at my mates place. Doh! Posemaniacs are quite hard, I should've studied loomis first. >.> Oh well, Ill do that tomorrow, wooo for reverse logic!

@sombertwin Yah, I'm a sucker for creatures and non-human things, I couldn't help changing things on the figures... That's interesting about the sketchbook composition, I just do it for fun Maybe I should explore it further? Anyways thankyou again for the kind comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, Mid semester exams are finally over. *collapses* Anyways, from now on I'm going to try to get something done everyday. Here's todays:

Did this whilst learning the musclular system in an anatomy lecture.

Name:  bob2.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  65.3 KB

Decided to draw more ppl because I've been avoiding them.....

Name:  Bob1.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  61.8 KB
    Name:  bob3.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  33.5 KB

I got pissed off at my noobyness and decided to express my fustration via an angry fish. I had heaps of fun with this one.

Name:  bob4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  51.8 KB

and, I know I should've finished my cow.. but I honestly got sick of messing with it so I started something else. 'tis a mermaid concept:

I'm not happy with the colors etc but I learnt a couple of things in the process so that's the main point.

Name:  Mermaidwip.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  56.9 KB

Thanks for visitng and subjecting your eyes to my noobyness hehe.

Last edited by Prion; April 19th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Just some random studies/creatures. If I'm studying the wrong way, pls feel free to prod me in the right direction.

Name:  Brian3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  Brian2.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  Brian1.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  47.2 KB

Garrrrrrrr I swear, if you change a line by 1cm or an angle by 1degree a whole face can be distorted. Lines are so touchy and don't compensate for errors. >.> I shall tame teh lines!

Name:  Brian4.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  37.0 KB

I musta done this a couple of weeks ago, twas in the front section of my sketchbook. Muscles etc are dodge but the thought's there lol.

Name:  Brian5.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  29.7 KB

Thanks for looking, Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your direction seems good to me...
    I love the fish, it's obviously much more comfortable to you than the human figure...
    It would be cool if you finished that mermaid... I hope you will It looks promising but the hands will be a challenge I guess...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks shinin! I wish I had the same dedication to the human figure as you. Anyways yah i'll try and finish it tomorrow. Thx for reminding me about hands, I have to get onto those asap! I was meaning to study them today but obviously forgot....

Anyways, just some photoshop studies today... due to work. ;( The eye was being a prick untill I messed around with numerous colors and brushes and found a happy medium! I was estatic when I found the right color/brush to suit it. Seriously when something like that makes your day, you know you're starting to go crazy. I may post more later tonight depending on wether I sleep or not. This is serious fun, im kicking myself for not starting earlier I guess it's never too late!

Serious chicken is serious... The dude's skin gave me all sorts of problems but at least it looks somewhat similar. Ok, enough goddamn talk!

Name:  studiesndshitz.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  66.0 KB

May art be with whoever is reading this. o/

Last edited by Prion; April 21st, 2010 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks for stopping by my sketch book and.....

How did your exams go? what school are you in? I was a student at the Academy of Art San Francisco. However do to health problems I am taking time off. I had two years under my belt. I cannot wait to get back to school. I miss it.

A few comments. I think you are exploring what you love. What will happen as you explore? you find more ways to become frustrated...haahahahahahahack.

Seriously I think you might consider going to a Goodwill or similar outlet and look for objects to observe in 3d. For example I have a horse by someone who is well know for rendering horses in 3 d. I got it for 75 cents...a steal I am told. I think using 3 d resources will help give your drawings balance.

Also I think your sketches of the animals are kinda static. I have the same problem...gesture drawing I have learned is key. The rest will come with development. Scribble, go crazy with your stroke activity.

I have a wacom tablet that i am playing with now, which I balance with actual sketching. ArtRage is a cheap sketching program that is real easy to learn. I think the program cost about 80 bucks, I think there might be a student discount. I understand Sketchup is really good to.

Overall I still like the composition of your work. You seem to have a natural instinct for it. In some of your work I see beautiful line work and in others a timid stroke.

I discovered to let go of making things look like stuff. Get the feel down and the rest follows. There is a great course here at CA located at http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207

Its called SketchBooks and Observational Drawings by George Pratt and Carl Dobsky. Excellent listen and great images to boot. You might benefit from it.

The Sketch Book and Observational Drawings will loosen you up and unlock your creative flow. I was happy to learn my own natural instinct was correct about how I am not approaching creative output. I can sense in your images a wealth of worlds one can only imagine until they are recorded for the rest of us to see. Can't wait to see how you develop.

oh...one more thing...love that turquoise blue look...makes the creature kinda friendly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah, my exams went great. Atm I'm studying biotech/med at the university of Queensland. (Australia) I've always been interested in the way things work and I think this wonder and my persistent questioning of the world is what drove me into the sciences. The academy of art sounds amazing, as much as I wish I stuck to my pencil whilst young and went the artistic path through high school etc I know that certain people in my family wouldn't have seen it as the right decision. I need something to fall back on and well, I love science. That being said, I never know where I'm going, life holds many surprises..... I was previously an environmental science student until I realised I hated the political (main) aspects of the job. >.<

haha, yah I can understand the fustration Thankfully whenever I get overly frustrated at anything, chem, maths and now art I use a weird method. I break it down into parts and look at it in an immature/alternative light. As silly as that sounds it works for me. I guess, it takes the "fear" out of problems, allows me to tackle it with a clear head and ensures that I persevere.

I have been observing both my hand and some wildlife. I'll look further for some models, unfortunately the ones I found near me where too expensive to justify buying for a student's budget. I'll look for some discount art stores. The same goes for a tablet, for the moment the mouse is slower but still works. Maybe I should hunt some paints?

I may trick myself into thinking the online course is a "textbook" and purchase it. Thanks it sounds interesting.

Seriously, thank you so much for the tips, pointers and kind words. I can't say how much they mean to me. ^_^

I didn’t upload my stuff yesterday night as my roomies decided to borrow my camera. >.> So I’ll update them this morning.
    Attempts at gesture sketching crows and my fish. I drew about 3 pages each but I don’t think uploading them all is necessary.....

Name:  April.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  23.6 KB

Seriously my fish are crazy. African cichlids are very intelligent and have individual personalities. The one in the top right, angel (ironic name but he does have the colouring of an angel), is a little bugger.... he eats everything and is intent on ripping up the tank. That pic is of him eating some plants I had just planted in their tank. -_-“ The plecostomus catfish, spike and shaun, are the gentle giants who move gracefully as opposed to the short, quick movements of the cichlids. I don’t think I capture their movements properly, I need more practice. I now understand what you mean about gesture sketching, it’s very different to the stuff I’ve been doing. It is life as opposed to structure imho.

Name:  April2.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  31.3 KB

I love crows, there intelligence shines through their actions and their feathers are just so glossy and striking.

Oh and here are some hands/quick bodies. I seriously should spend longer on each one, I think I move on too quickly and put down lines w/o thinking. Sorry about the immature faces.

Name:  AprilHands1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  AprilHands2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  30.9 KB
    Name:  AprilSketchyness.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  24.0 KB

I didn’t finish the mermaid... Maybe next time.

Seriously, I LOVE art. It is relaxing, fulfilling and something else I quite can’t put my finger on. Is it my brain spilling onto the paper? Is it me trying to understand my perception of the world? I really don’t know.... All I know is that I have fallen in love with whatever it is.

I didn't edit this so sorry if there's errors etc.....

Last edited by Prion; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Note to self: This is not a blog. DRAW!

Gah, itís rather late...

I had a serene, almost perfect morning this morning. After uploading the scribbles from last night, I drew some live/still lives and then went to uni. Looking back, the lines look so relaxing. It may have been me using my whole arm/the gesture sketches from last night... I dunno, they just seem different. That being said, It might just be my eyes playing tricks on me. lol

Name:  SR1.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  28.2 KB

Unfortunately one of my mates decided to go through my bag and found my sketch book. ARGHHHHHHHHH. Anyways he basically implied that I should give the fuck up. Seriously WTF I dunno if itís because I decided to stay in tonight to draw rather than club or because he has a personal thing against drawing/art. He mentioned that itís a waste of human resources and a highly primal occupation.. blah blah blah >Anyways, enough personal shit. Fuck him.

Here is some ugly angry shit. I didnít care about anything in these. I felt my hand going rigid and the change in lines show a total lack of attention...... opps -_-ď

Name:  SR2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  34.0 KB

Oh and here are some random sketches from tonight so far. The rage remains and tbh I canít concentrate properly. I didnít focus on the movement or anything in particular... I donít think a certain other physical thing is helping... Anyways to make up for it I shall draw more tonight and concentrate on the things I want to learn, line, movement etc. Iím going to buy an a3 sketchbook tomorrow and fill in a page with hands and then another with gestures. No more a4 shit, unless Iím on the run.

Name:  SR3.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  43.1 KB

That spillage felt good, now time to put my head down and concentrate whilst drawing through the night. Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a lot to say, so you might want to get yourself a copy of tea.

By the way your anger at the guy who commented on your sketchbook is shared.

I had made a decision not to put my 3.5 cents into commenting about your choices of a fall back career and art. I had also decided just too quietly encourage you to continue with your art. That is, until I read the brain wanker comment on your sketchbook.

Below is information you should print, cut, then paste to your sketchbook pages. Your sketchbook is part of your voice. Denying any part of your voice now at your stage of life will doom you to a life of unease. Being a mature woman of strength and character and integrity takes courage. Courage is something I think you might need. I am just guessing based on your online SB.

Stuff for your SB

Albert Einstein quotes, treat these quotes as reminders.

ĒAfter a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.Ē

ďThe most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.Ē

He also said:
    ď..one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought.Ē

Below are some great books that clearly demonstrate the relationship of arts and various sciences, a few of my favs that you can get at the library are:

The Molecular Gaze, Art in the Genetic Age by Suzanne Anker and Dorothy Nelkin. This book is a collaboration with a visual artist. Really kewl stuff.

Catching the Light, the Entwined History of Light and Mind. By Arthur Zjonc another book that discusses Goethe, Steiner, Einstein etc on Light and the connection with art.

Arts & Physics, Parallel Visions in Space, Time and Light by Leonard Shlain a really great book which demonstrates the relationship of art to science.

There are loads more books that speak to art and science. Art and science are marriage mates in the truest sense.

The guy who told you it was a waste of time is seeking to control you. Without your art, without your voice, you will go brain dead as he that commented on your SB.

I am in my mid-fifties, six years older than my husband. It took me over 25 years to return to art. On our first anniversary 12 years ago my husband bought me a French Painters Box. To this day I have no idea why he chose such an odd gift. He tells me I talked about art a lot. At that time my husband had not spent much time outside algorithms, truly a super geekzoid. So his sensitivity scale outside of dealing with me was barely measurable for this type of thing.

What he did not know at the time of him buying this precious gift, is when I was about 13 or so, I had begged and wanted a French painters box. I had wanted one for years but my mother, bless her loving heart, was afraid of her black child being an artist. Someone had commented on my art as reminding them of Van Gogh. She read the history and boom all of my art stuff and art aspirations were on there way to being killed. My mom threw away all my art stuff, discouraged it at every turn. I loved art so much I did my sister art assignments in school, I did every bodies art. But eventually I stopped drawing. I had the piano and cello as an outlet, but nothing had ever come close to art.

When I opened my anniversary present I was dumbfounded. If you knew me you would know me dumbfounded would be short of a miracle. I had been really ill for a long time and still was house bound. So I started painting and could not believe the feel and the emotional quality I was able to produce, 10 or so hours later I noticed that I had not taken or needed pain medication. Soooo art became my pain management tool.

I did not have a clue that I had and was becoming an artist. It took me years more to realize perhaps there was something more to the art. I sent in my work to AAU and was awarded a summer scholarship that paid for 3 summer classes of 7500. First I was in shocked that a group of artist who are known looked at my work and decided there was enuf to be considered an artist.

It took me awhile to embrace my need to communicate visually. I too am driven to complete the series of painting that is in my head. The SB, all my work is to develop the skills to communicate this voice that needs to be heard on the canvas.

I get needing a fall back job to pay bills and live decently. I hang with mathematicians, computer architects, developers, etc and have known folks who work for NASA, and other geekzoids. By the way I am not a geek. I am outrageously the opposite.

Becoming a software engineer might not be a bad idea to consider in your life choices. Right now you are heading into a world of guys who are just like that guy who commented on your sketchbook. Daring to think outside the prescribed box takes a bit of courage. For me it includes being spiritually sound. This spiritual soundness is the foundation of the best parts of me.

Re- thinkÖtalk with someone OLDER that you trust about your lifeís choices. Get a fall back job and Donít take 25 years to realize what you really love.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

comments on you most recent sketches

Wow what an improvement. I think your gestures studies are moving in the right direction. What is most interesting is the line quality. In your precious submissions the lines were very light and soft almost timid.

Now you are bolder and I think you are getting for the most part the forms of shapes.

The hardest part for me is to remember what "seeing" means to an artist. Observing shapes, values and relationships of forms...squinting the eye really does work by the way. Helps you "see" the values.

One thing I am still trying to get, is how to record the abstract shapes within the forms.

I do not know if you have junk shops, junk yards, yard sales, garage sales, places to buy cheap stuff. that is what I meant by going to a Goodwill to look for 3d stuff to draw. But you are also in an environment that give you plenty of subjects to draw.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sombertwin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say anything smart now but I wanted to comment again...

I so totally disaggree with that mate of yours... How can someone be so rude and so wrong? I hope he won't find a sketchbook of someone who has yet uncertain and fragile dreams those can be crushed...

Your creatures are nice and I like your direction and attitude, keep up the good work - and at one point you really should do "real" colored finished stuff too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I haven't uploaded anything because I got a suprise "travel" gift up to the coast from my awesome partner. :3 I have most definately been drawing etc but obviously can't upload anything from here, atm im in one of those strange 10minute computer cafe things.

Wow, Thank you so much sombertwin and shinin. It's amazing how things pan out like that. I'm most definately not giving up, If you truly love something you stick with it to the end. Your story is more than inspiring, ty for sharing it. Those einstein quotes resonate with everything I've done and also cheered me up. I can't begin to thank you. I will formulate a full reply when I get home. ^_^

The beach is full of inspiration and I'm drawing everything I can, I'll upload the drawings when I get home tonight/tomorrow.

Thankyou again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some selected random study scribbles. I won't discrace your eyes with all of them. My other scetchbook isn't on me. Long Story. Lets just say we had a good time.

Name:  bsc2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  23.7 KB

Random scetches

Name:  bsc.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  27.7 KB

Oh and some photoshop practices..... I though that if it was smaller I would finish it, but alas. The carnivores mouth is probably as finished as I've been so far.... It's also flat -_-" I think I just need to study more. ;P

Name:  bsc4.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  bsc5.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  16.3 KB

@Sombertwin. It is honestly astonishing how things occur like that. I can understand why you were stunned. I bet you were overjoyed as well. I guess we cannot truly know the world until we know ourselves. Tis amazing and we are only skimming the top of what can be known. To come to any drastic conclusions is foolish with our current knowledge and blindfolded perception.

Anyways, I do know some people in IT and I must admit that they do seem a lot more open and understanding about things. However my heart lives with biology and chemistry rather than maths etc. I will persevere. The lil artists in my hand and head won't die nor will my imagination. I shall continue forth unto the art. \o

p.s that squinting thing works! Sorry I didn't understand what a goodwill store was, we don't have them over here. Crazy Clarks is probably similar 0.o That being said, I have heaps of random objects lying around lol I just need to draw them.

@shinin. Thanks. ^^ I will hopefully finish some coloured stuff; I donít believe I have the level of finishing skill atm. I will focus more on Photoshop over the next few days.

Last edited by Prion; April 29th, 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, been messing around with photoshop.

I had been working on this for ages and hadn't saved it when Photoshop DECIDED TO FREEZE. ARGHHhhh, anyways I screenshotted it and will re-color (argh) again. I quite like the character (more about him later) and its my first PS of a dude. so yay!

Name:  photoshopfailz.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  13.9 KB

Here I was trying to get a furry texture/slimey tongue, going to mess with it further today. Mhm, adding slimey spit is going to be hard.

Name:  pbab.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  46.3 KB

May upload holiday sketches later, depending if I get my book back. lol. If not I'll just upload what I've done today/yesterday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sharp toothed creature looks cool, it's a shame you don't finish your promising drawings...

I'm looking forward to your character, maybe you will spend more effort on something you have some deeper bond with I know it helps me greatly, it's more fun, more real and I get better results if I use one of my beloved OCs, it's not only a simple figure but something way deeper with background, feelings and whatnot

28. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe I'm the opposite. Atm if I try to finish something, I get fustrated. I honestly don't know how to give things the "finishing touch". I'll watch more painting vids today and see if I can figure it out. If it helps me as you say, I better get to it! Thanks. Having to paint with a mouse rather than a tablet is somewhat irritating though. lol

I Decided to upload some of my recent sketches/studies and an "angel" concept hehe. I'd upload them all.. but meh... cbf'd. There is drawing and painting to be done! These are in no particular order. Note to self: Get a scanner.

Name:  an1.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  an2.jpg
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  Anblobs.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  anpr.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  Angpr2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  AnFreehand.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  Ansel.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  AnMoar.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  Anmoar2.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  68.7 KB

Angels shall walk the earth untill the apocalypse... then they shall show their true form and absorb the souls of millions.

Name:  Angels.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  76.3 KB

More photoshops later as I try and work color and texture out. >.> I just learnt about reflected light. I never noticed this! Tis cool.

I the weekend.

Last edited by Prion; April 30th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So far today...

Mhm, just got home so here are some random sketches. I lost my pencil and decided to use a blue one. Since I can't rub it out I'm finding it somewhat better for sketchy sketches like below. Tis softer though.

Used ref for most. The first one is inspired from someone on here I musta stalked earlier.....Can't find the fucking link though. The alien is from this dude's lunch -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1272663574

Name:  tt.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  tt2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  tt3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  tt4.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  42.4 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 1st, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see steady improvement as I'm traveling down the page through the sketches. Looks like you are doing a lot of work. I do agree your creature concepts are really sharp. I like the animal studies and gestures the best though. Although I'm a sucker for the monsters! But, keep it up, I think you're moving in the right direction. Do more animal and human anatomy sketches, though.
    Good Luck!
    ~Zombifried
    zombifried's sketchbook

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

32. The Following User Says Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow what a difference

I think there is a HUGE change in your approach and your studies have movement. i like your photo shop thing it looks like fun. I know you must have made some sort of commitment because I can see it in your work. wow

Your studies are really progressing. The only thing i can think of to suggest is to remember the planes of any subject. Also start getting use to adding values even in your learning process. You only need about two or three values.

By the way you can nerd up any time. I am married to king nerd. To give an example I was boiling water for spaghetti, i put a few drops of oil in the water. I noticed that as the oil hit the boiling water the oil was expanding. I told my husband to have a look and of course we started to argue about the expansion of the universe..and yes string theory came up. We ended up ordering take out or take away I think folks out the US call it.

My husband and I generally have some sort of technical type conversation daily. I am not the nerd type, but I love reading Scientific American, love physics.org and am more than a little curious about time, space and dimensional stuff . My husband is a bit of a genius, modest but very smart. Most of my friends are mathematician, scientist and software architects. My husband is not as outgoing as I am.

plus nerd and art are your thing.

I may not be saying much but i am following your SB.

Last edited by sombertwin; May 1st, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added to comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Thanks Zombifried and Sombertwin. Ya comments really gave me a boost, improvement is what I'm striving for. It's a relief to hear the studies are working! I will continue to focus on anatomy studies and look into planes/values.

I'm not going to upload sketches from last night, I will however upload another wip on frank. I'm starting to understand color etc better after watching/reading some photoshop/color tutorials. I still have a long way to go. I'll watch a couple more tutes/examples and then get right back to it. As I'm working on this, the lil voice in my head started thinking about graphic design/art schools. >.> Gah. *strangles voice* Anyways, I had heaps of fun. I may even finish this one! *dances* Legs still look weird... gonna try to find a ref.

Name:  FrankWip2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 1st, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.