Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BLARGHHH.

Thanks

So far today...

Mhm, just got home so here are some random sketches. I lost my pencil and decided to use a blue one. Since I can't rub it out I'm finding it somewhat better for sketchy sketches like below. Tis softer though.

Used ref for most. The first one is inspired from someone on here I musta stalked earlier.....Can't find the fucking link though. The alien is from this dude's lunch -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1272663574

Name:  tt.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  tt2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  tt3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  tt4.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  42.4 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 1st, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can see steady improvement as I'm traveling down the page through the sketches. Looks like you are doing a lot of work. I do agree your creature concepts are really sharp. I like the animal studies and gestures the best though. Although I'm a sucker for the monsters! But, keep it up, I think you're moving in the right direction. Do more animal and human anatomy sketches, though.
    Good Luck!
    ~Zombifried
    zombifried's sketchbook

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks

wow what a difference

I think there is a HUGE change in your approach and your studies have movement. i like your photo shop thing it looks like fun. I know you must have made some sort of commitment because I can see it in your work. wow

Your studies are really progressing. The only thing i can think of to suggest is to remember the planes of any subject. Also start getting use to adding values even in your learning process. You only need about two or three values.

By the way you can nerd up any time. I am married to king nerd. To give an example I was boiling water for spaghetti, i put a few drops of oil in the water. I noticed that as the oil hit the boiling water the oil was expanding. I told my husband to have a look and of course we started to argue about the expansion of the universe..and yes string theory came up. We ended up ordering take out or take away I think folks out the US call it.

My husband and I generally have some sort of technical type conversation daily. I am not the nerd type, but I love reading Scientific American, love physics.org and am more than a little curious about time, space and dimensional stuff . My husband is a bit of a genius, modest but very smart. Most of my friends are mathematician, scientist and software architects. My husband is not as outgoing as I am.

plus nerd and art are your thing.

I may not be saying much but i am following your SB.

Last edited by sombertwin; May 1st, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added to comment

Thanks
    Wow, Thanks Zombifried and Sombertwin. Ya comments really gave me a boost, improvement is what I'm striving for. It's a relief to hear the studies are working! I will continue to focus on anatomy studies and look into planes/values.

I'm not going to upload sketches from last night, I will however upload another wip on frank. I'm starting to understand color etc better after watching/reading some photoshop/color tutorials. I still have a long way to go. I'll watch a couple more tutes/examples and then get right back to it. As I'm working on this, the lil voice in my head started thinking about graphic design/art schools. >.> Gah. *strangles voice* Anyways, I had heaps of fun. I may even finish this one! *dances* Legs still look weird... gonna try to find a ref.

Name:  FrankWip2.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 1st, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    "It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a halfbrick in the path of the bicycle of history." ~ Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    wow you've made some amazing progress since you started this!

I agree with the previous comments, you should definitely do some anatomy studies, it'll really help you out. have a look at books by andrew loomis (out of print, get it online), bridgman, or hogarth. They also deal a lot with volumes, i.e. constructing your drawings properly out of 3d shapes rather than tracing outlines. it helped me heaps

I'm not sure I'd get into PS so early, for two reasons:
    1 - it has an undo button. that thing is EVIL! traditional media are a lot less forgiving and help you learn from your mistakes rather than just undo them without consequences
    2 - it has colour. at this point i reckon it's important for you to get your foundations right - proportions, shapes, volumes, silhouettes, line quality, value. once you got those down, jump back into PS and you'll find it much easier

that's what my mentor told me when I started drawing, and it worked. so I thought I'd pass it on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonDuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good progress! I think it's good you're gonna be using ref to fix up those legs, and keep working on anatomy studies.

Something I feel with your last post, that's making it a bit weak, is that it seems you're trying to do too many things at once. What I mean is, you're working hard on getting the values right, the drawing, and colour... I think it may be easier for you if you split it down into drawing, values and then colour. So first get a good sketch down ( do a few if possible ), and try to make sure you have a solid drawing. Then add values to that ( using reference of a similar pose turned to grayscale often helps with this ) and try to get it down right. Then at the end when those two things are good, work on getting your colours down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks neon and sycra. Your tips and comments are invaluable. I'm so glad I started a sketchbook here. Ya are all so helpfull, I'd probably be lost if I was in the cold cruel world.

Atm I'm studying from hogarth, ron tiner and some other dude. I don't post everything because I really cbf'd most days. I have drawing and actual uni study afterall. >.>

Neon, point taken... atm I spend wayyyy too much time trying to figure things out on photoshop. If I spent that time sketching and studying, I would probably as you say, be better off. I shall postpone it.

Sycra thanks! Those steps make perfect sense. You really hit the nail on the head, I was trying to do too many things at once. It was messy fun but alas I didn't know what I was doing... kinda like a kid with paints. When I pick up photoshop again, I'll be sure to follow those steps. ^.^

Tbh though, I just sorta wanted something "finished" for an avvy. I'm getting sick of the jumping cat hehe.

Oh and mah photographer roomie came in and realised that my screen contrast etc was outta whack. Doh! Luckily he fixed it for me. Hopefully these sketches are now easier to see. Hopefully....... 0.o

I figured I should upload some of the things I haven't been uploading... an example of a construction study and gestures.

Name:  TodStudies.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  48.3 KB

I just noticed the lower line is out of whack.. opps.
    Name:  TodConstruction.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  33.5 KB

I'll do two sheets of these a day but don't upload them. :3
    Name:  todaygesture.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  36.5 KB

My first attempt at a self-portrait which doesn't really look like me. I stopped when the nose and eye were looking funky. I thought I should put it here for history lol
    Name:  TodPortrait1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  29.0 KB

Then some random ppl from a movie.

Name:  TodMovieStill.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  33.3 KB

Thanks again.

Last edited by Prion; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks

Arvo Dump.

Pelicanssss

Name:  Pelican.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  31.3 KB

Trying to exagurate values to get a better understanding. I dunno why the lead showed up so dark, it doesn't look that dark inrl.

Name:  peliExagurated.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  17.1 KB

When art gives you lemons......... draw one!

Name:  citrusfish.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  22.2 KB

Lemonfish is not amused...

Thanks
    dobermans.

Name:  dob.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  92.6 KB

Steve suggested I draw..... "bacardiman" So I did. Nothing serious ;D

Name:  bac.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  55.3 KB

The lines are pissing me off though. q.q I will post "actual" studies tomorrow.

Last edited by Prion; May 4th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    Surprise assignments are NOT COOL. >:/

Anyways I've finally finished the evil psyc assignment. Not many scribbles so far today, just a mind/ref scribble. The studies I just did are embarrasing, probably cause I haven't drawn for a while. I don't think I'll upload them. ^.^" Anyways I figured I should post so here's this thing.

Name:  Stuff2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  35.0 KB

Haha and this is what I did when I got home after my assignment. I used "bar" money to buy paints. I know I should work on fundamentals etc but tbh I've been dying to go back to my childhood and mess with paints. (I found a discount art store, this stuff cost like $13aud. They also had a dummy but it was 15... next time I'll buy it.) I pumped some john butler trio and got to it. It's unfinished like everything rofl. Yes, the fish is floating in the sky... My pooor abandoned
    textbooks/floor. It's been defaced. yay. Oh and I'm thinking of having a fish comming out of the trees.... but first I need to study
    Name:  Stuff.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  56.2 KB

Last edited by Prion; May 5th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Just a selection of some quick studies at uni and some brain farts/studies today... I need to get choofing again. I think it's time to stay up later. Otherwise I'll go backwards. q.q Anyways, I decided to post everyday so here we go.

Can't find my camera, decided to use my phone. Failz >.>

Name:  Moar.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  37.8 KB
    Name:  Moar2Quick.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  25.4 KB

The bottom two are quick line studies, the top one is my attempt at a figure doing a weird pose............... fail >.<

Name:  Moar3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  19.8 KB

Note to self: I'm going to promise myself to stay up later in order to do more studies. I need to. *kicks self into action*

Thanks
    I don't why but I feel as if I'm getting worse. lol. Maybe it's because I'm trying new things? Either that or I'm finding it hard to concentrate on art and uni. I honestly dunno. Anyways here are some of my shotty studies.

Name:  ss4.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  46.1 KB

I did these multiple times in an attempt to understand the process but I still can't get them right. The wedge and mass figure from bridgman makes sense to me but for some reason my masses look funky. I guess it's hand-eye co-ordination, lines etc -_-" I will eventually get this hominoid beast right mind you.

Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  26.1 KB
    Name:  ss2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  ss3.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  shittystudies.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  37.9 KB

Thanks
    Yes I think it is the fact that you are learning new stuff which your not as good as maybe another method. Where are you learning that stuff that is in the last post? I've never seen it before, look kinda cool lol. The bottle guy in the 4th to last post looks pretty sweet. Nothing really for me to crit on. Just keep doing what your doing. Maybe some more still life and keep looking at what your drawing. May the gods bless your pencil (lol...what.. )

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1